Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Daniel wrote:
Timmeh wrote:
LSD wrote:
heh, you don't want to make a habit of running it past half full. Apparently the fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank to lubricate itself and below half full it isn't submerged enough for adequate lubrication.

Well I wouldnt want to always leave 1/2 tank in cause the crap would build up in the bottom of the tank.

The fuel pump is "Built Ford Tough"

lol, says it all hey - dont run your tank to empty, if it worries you having stuff in the bottom of the fuel tank, just take it off n flush it out - common sense here ppl!

I'd rather use the fuel I paid for than let it sit in the tank.
I'd be sure that they thought about the pump when they designed the fuel tank to operate below half.

Taking out the fuel tank wtf? Use all the fuel in it and you wont have a problem, or you could use that holden top engine cleaner rather than taking it out.
Makes more sense.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

ACT, Australia

hah some people belive what ever they here its so funny.

one having fule on ur fule pump will cause the fule sender ( not pump to get s**t on the resistor sender and cause it to give wrong readings.) so running it low wont hurt it.

2 switching from eco to pow only changes shift points in the transmision. thats why manual dont have the switch.
so engine wont get any more power, just that it will rev higher in pow mode.

Posted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Timmeh wrote:
Daniel wrote:
Timmeh wrote:
LSD wrote:
heh, you don't want to make a habit of running it past half full. Apparently the fuel pump uses the fuel in the tank to lubricate itself and below half full it isn't submerged enough for adequate lubrication.

Well I wouldnt want to always leave 1/2 tank in cause the crap would build up in the bottom of the tank.

The fuel pump is "Built Ford Tough"

lol, says it all hey - dont run your tank to empty, if it worries you having stuff in the bottom of the fuel tank, just take it off n flush it out - common sense here ppl!

I'd rather use the fuel I paid for than let it sit in the tank.
I'd be sure that they thought about the pump when they designed the fuel tank to operate below half.

Taking out the fuel tank wtf? Use all the fuel in it and you wont have a problem, or you could use that holden top engine cleaner rather than taking it out.
Makes more sense.

I AM NOT SAYING "dont run it below half" i mean s**t when i say dont run it so low i mean into the last 10l or less every single time..
Some people have a thing where they wanna get as much out as possible, and some dont like going under half - both i feel are just plain idiotic, this is not how it was designed to work, why cant it just be used normally as in you fill it up, use it till the 80km warning comes on and then grab fuel at when convenient so long as you dont run the risk of running dry.
Jeebus!

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

What 80k warning do you speak of?

After my low fuel light comes on I got another 150ks, but thats without flooring it thats just normal driving.
But I dont run it bone dry all the time that was for the experiment.
Normally when the needle hits the red its time for a top up.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 11:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF Typhoon

VIC, Australia

Timmeh wrote:

After my low fuel light comes on I got another 150ks, but thats without flooring it thats just normal driving.
But I dont run it bone dry all the time that was for the experiment.
Normally when the needle hits the red its time for a top up.

Cheers and Merry Christmas

I dunno if the ef xr has it - its on the trip computer - when there is supposedly 80kms left in the tank it beeps at you to let you know, it will then sit on distance to empty instead of the clock unless you turn it off!
The red light comes on when the trip computer says about 50kms left and i usually dont go any lower than that unless i have to.
When my red light is on, i cant get 150kms of driving out of, no where near it - altho im talking city driving.

have a happy holiday :P

BF Typhoon, Dejavu - 6sp Auto, Leather, Sunroof, 19"s, Electric Pedals, Tint, FPV Sports Wheel, FPV Mats.

Posted: Sun Dec 26, 2004 9:10 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: AU XR6 / XB 351 sedan

NSW, Australia

My AU gets the warning light going at 80kms til empty to. It'll beep. If I don't fill up then park and come back to the car and start it, it'll beep again to warn me to fill up.

There'd be no way I'd get 150kms to a tank when the warning light went. I'd have to like drive at 2km/hr down the freeway to even try...totally maximising my economy lol.

The car has been driven past the empty mark. Prob no more than 5-10kms tho.

Waiting for tax time and more turbo bits to purchase

Dynosheet 16/04/05

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:12 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: XH XR6 UTE

WA, Australia

just been reading all the different milages we get out relatively same cars.
its interesting to note that people say they can get 150 after the fuel light comes on, where me (like others) are lucky to get less than 50 ks. I drive my xh xr6 ute approx just under 100 ks a day during the week (thats a lot of ks you say, no sh!t), and honestly Ive found theres not that much milage difference between the economy button on or off. On average, using BP98 (only) Im getting about 480-510ks per tank.
I plan on getting a new 2.5' exhaust fitted with extractors, (still running stock at the moment) do you think this would have much of an impact at the bowser.

See Ya on the road Scag...see ya on the road.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EFII Fairmont

WA, Australia

I just tried the econ vs power mode on the way home.
I was on flat road, cruise control set to 80KMH. Econ on and the inst fuel consumption read 6, 7 and 8 at the most. Switched to power while still set on cruise control and the revs went up a couple of hundred RPM's, and the inst fuel fluctuated bewteen 9 and 10. There was no way I could set the power switch without the revs rising a couple of hundred RPM's which of course instantly used more fuel. Even though I was already doing 80 in 4th.
So surely by that, I would use more fuel doing 80 all the way home in PWR mode?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 12:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Most of my driving is at 60km/hr or 50km/hr. Ive found that economy mode makes a significant improvement in fuel economy.

Maybe this has something to do with the blower, very efficient at low revs. But then im pretty sure it was the same pre-blower. But then, you've gotta drive it like its in economy mode. Go around booting it in econ and its gonna be jumping in and out of OD which is obviously s**t for economy as the box spends more time 'between' gears instead of getting on with the job and transferring power to the rear axle.

Econ not only changes shift points but also when TCC is locked and also produces slushier changes which suggests lower line pressure in the box.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon EB-s

WA, Australia

Im quite happy for mine to stay in eceonomy mode, it feels smoother, and while not fanging it, thats what id prefer. As for fuel consumption, I took a trip to perth and back over the weekend, got halfway home as I thought id be low on fuel, and filled it up. Ended up getting 511 kilometres out of 45 litres of fuel. The most fuel ive ever put in has been 74 litres (68 litre tank in sedan?), so effectively out of a full tank of fuel I should be able to get 840 kays out of a tank(the 74 litres). Thats pretty good fuel economy if you ask me :lol: It all come down to what everyone thinks is a full tank. Generally, I go through about 60 - 65 litres a week, and fuel up once a week, so thats what I call a full tank.

The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

1. I've always been under the impression that many service stations fiddle with their pump readouts to get that extra bit of money out of you.

2. I haven't refueled since Christmas.

3. Welcome back Kit! Long time no see. :wink:

5.6L of carbon footprint.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 7:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 36 images

Ride: Ronald Mcdonald Mobile

NSW, Australia

i get 350 or so Kms in economy
i get 470kms in power mode
thats driving in the city pretty much

Gooooone - Eb2 Coon - 143RWKW
Now - Mazda MX5 with HKS Supercharger 190RWKW
Crescent Motorsport Liverpool - 9600 6229

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:10 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

In my EA falcon I did a trip from Brisbane to Bundeberg, power mode the whole way... :D

I filled up before I left... and refueled just after I left bundy... Im pretty sure the trip is around 380 kms, and I refueled with 48 lts. Whats that, about 12lt / 100 kms... which by my trip computer is about right (fluctuated between 9-12 lt/100km).

If I had a lower diff ratio I prolly could have used less fuel, as it sits on 1800 RPM arond 100-110 kmph. :idea:

Its very hard to get fuel usage in the city since my odo has stopped turning, but taking deliveries for a pizza company can use almost 1/2 tank in about 30-40 kms of driving. :shock:

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 12:29 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon

QLD, Australia

I tried switching from econ to power and i picked up about 1 L / 100km all around town. Went from 17 to 16. And it feels a tad more zappy.

Although, it does feel a lot smoother on the gear changes in economy mode...

Nicco's M112 Blown, T-56 equipped EF
forums/viewtopic.php?t=68319

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EF Falcon 95

VIC, Australia

jesus christ. I just ran my car on econ for probably 3/4 of the tank and got 500km/s out of it. If I run it on power mode, im lucky to get 400 to the tank! thats with all my mods though.

Cougar Zero makes my pants fit nice.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 4  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next