Fordmods Logo

ECU tuned with intercooler pipe leaking 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: ECU tuned with intercooler pipe leaking
Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: ba xr6 turbo ute

QLD, Australia

my ba xr6t only recently had a new computer fitted and tuned, in the last coupple of weeks it has been cutting out so i thought i would change plugs before i went for coil packs, when i took off the cross over i found one of the rubber joiners for the intercooler not fitted corectly, i have now fitted it corectly with new silocone hose but running worse than ever when boosting. would this have something to do with it leaking last time the computer was tuned? or should i still be chasing coil packs? any healp would be greatly appreciated thanx :D

Post subject: Re: ECU tuned with intercooler pipe leaking
Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:04 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EF XR6

VIC, Australia

My two bob is that the VE of the engine would have changed with an intercooler leak.
Whether this is significant depends on whether the leak was before or after the turbo compressor eg vacuum or pressure side. Forgive my ignorance of the XR turbo setup :)
If it was on the pressure/boost side your engines VE (Volumetric Efficiency) wouldn't be real good, and probably fairly non-linear depending on the nture of the hose split.
If it was tuned on a dyno the tuner should have picked this.
The AFR's would probably be out a bit now, depending again on where the split was.

Might be easiest to chuck a diagnostic into the OBD-II port and see if any codes are thrown - IIRC diags won't pick up HT/secondary failures in a coil pack but will show primary/loom faults.
The diag codes will probably save you a s**t of goosechasing even if it shows nothing significant - at least you know it's NOT one of the faults the ECU can pick up :)

If you have the old hose, and if it's easy enough to do, you could pop it back on and compare the manifold vacuum vs TPS against the good hose (using a data logger on TPS and MAP, or pen/pencil at certain RPM points via vacuum gauge...)
If there's a significant difference in the results between both hoses, get it retuned.
cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

yeah the leak was on the compresed side of the turbo, i've taken it to a dyno shop they told me the computer was making it overboost and hitting a torque limiter, this meaning it has had a flash tune put it in when the computer was in anougher car or it is a factory fault in the ecu which i have heard more than a few times. I,ve closed my plug gaps and got rid of a miss in it. The shop sugests i put it on the dyno n get them to put a custom tune in it for around $800. At the moment ive by-passed the electronic boost control solinoid intill i can get it to the shop. even at this time it still feels like its over boosting and hitting some sort of cut out like its flooding the motor, just wounding if its safe to bypass this solinoid intill i get it tuned? or any other suggestions would be much appreticated :D

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

now that you have fixed the leak, you will now be making more boost pressure. i wouldnt risk it, just get it tuned otherwise is could go kapow! especially being a BA bottom end!

why would you need to install an aftermarket computer when you just need to flash tune the std unit??????
id get rid of the boost controller as well.... unless your using it to solve other issues.

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Posted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:02 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

yeah changing the ecu was the warrenty companys call, so just going to get this one flashed, will void my warrently but doesnt sound like there going to help me anyway, thakyou very much your you help will let you know how it works out after a tune, cheers :D

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]