EF EEC-V ecu internals 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EF EEC-V ecu internals
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:34 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

Gday,

To add to my growing list of car problems, about 2 months ago my EF XR6 developed a misfire, turns out no6 injector was getting a constant 12v signal instead of a pulse. Sourced another EF XR manual ECU, changed over, and i had to wind up the base idle speed to get the thing to idle at all. Anyway turns out the new ECU wont drive the ISC.

So my question is this, is it feasable to combine the ECUs to make one that works? so in other words swap the no 6 injector (circuit?) out of one ECU and put it in the other one? or the idle solenoid circuit, whichever is easiest.

I have a moderate electrical knowledge and the ability to solder well, so if anyone can talk me through the insides of the EEC-V ECU that would be really fantastic. Because these damn ecus are so hard to source cheaply.

Cheers!

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Post subject: Re: EF EEC-V ecu internals
Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

You can source Falcon ECUs for $40 or less on ebay. If a manual one is hard to find, a chip can be used to override an Auto one. I have never tried a solder repair as the coating on the PCB looks like it would be a real pain to solder through.

Posted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

If your soldering skills are fairly good im sure you could replace the driver transistor. worst case no harm in having a go.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 2:26 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: F6 Typhoon

NSW, Australia

Righteo after some fiddling around, i have figred out which transistors control the injectors, so im going to try and source a really cheap ECU and replace the dead transistor, and see what happens :) if it saves me 180 bucks to get someone else to repair it then sh** why not. If it all works out ill post pictures up for anyone else in future that might have the same dramas.

F6 Typhoon Silhouette with Dark Argent rims, build P0001. Stock as a rock and staying that way.

Now sold :( Cobalt blue EF XR6, Pacemaker 4499s, 2.5" redback catback, intake, head shaved, wade 977b, crow valve springs, pedders suspension.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 7:55 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Good work. I did this with an EEC-IV. Easy to get wrong, but if you get it right awesome.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Love to see some pics. A working ECU on ebay can be had for ~$40 if you keep an eye out, but the dead part is probably worth less than $1. I turfed my EF ECU which had a dud ISC driver before I was interested in them, would have tried similar if I had one now.

Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2010 12:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Since the injector firing is batch, I wonder if you could use the pulse off no 2 or 4 as a temp measure??
Maybe the injector impedance might be too much and give you another failed transistor.
Also the ECU won't be able to just shut down no6 injector if there's no spark to it, it will also shut down the other injector you have it hooked up to.

I guess you could always test that using a EF auto ECU - someone should be able to give one to you for nothing.
I've got an EF XR6 auto one lying around - if you still need one in around 6 weeks time, give me a reminder, and you can have it.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]