EF GAS CONVERSION 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: EF GAS CONVERSION
Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:20 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 15 images

Ride: Fairmont 95

NSW, Australia

Im considering changing my EF Fairmont to gas but i dont know how much im looking and as to whether its really worth it?. With petrol prices, i have to try somthing..

I currently have a big sound set up in the boot so it would have to be straight gas conversion which would mean i would need to take the tank out and put a gas tank... so i think .. either way, i have no idea what to look for and how much i should be spending?

would i have same power output?
would i be saving money ?
how many kms would i get ? lol

If anybody knows anything, please help us out... im lost! :) Thanks

= 4DZILR PERFORMANCE =

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:53 pm 
Technical Contributor

Ride: Ford Ef Futura

WA, Australia

AFAIK you cannot go straight gas.

I may be wrong since my memory is shocking but her egoes.

When I had hte Falcon conveted, the guy said you can only convert to duel fuel before you start throwing some serious money around. TO go straight gas you need new injecters, filters, prety much whole new engine.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

s**t.. so i gotta loose the doof doofs as the media calls it :)

not good... how much did it cost you?

= 4DZILR PERFORMANCE =

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

nar i'm on go gas and i still got the doof doof
view my gallery

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

How big are your speakers? Get the gas fitted as I was going to get gas put in where my fuel tank was, but I would be buying gas every second day.

Put the tank behind the back seat and remove the spare wheel and that gives you some space for more audio equipment, or just put a subwoofer on the parcel shelf and an amp on the RH side of the boot. think logically whwn mounting your audio equipment.

The gas will increase the value of your car by $1500 to $2k.

Instant Karma is gonna get you!

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

My gas was $2300 - free tune after the first 1,000 kms to make sure the gas system runs all smooth.

3 year/100,000 ms warranty.

I have worked out that it will take 18 months to make my money back on fuel savings, the value of the car has gone up $2k.

I am getting near 200,000 kms, my car is eight years old, but 90% of those kms were country and highway trips.

I run the car on petrol three times a week for 10 minutes at a time - keep the fuel fresh.

I had to mount the CD stacker under the front passenger seat.

Still have heaps of boot space.

Posted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 7:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF GLi (V8)

VIC, Australia

efbignik wrote:
nar i'm on go gas and i still got the doof doof
view my gallery

but you have no boot space, where do your groceries go, and the suitcases for holidays and the pram, oh forget it, I just checked how old you are, go for 8-)

former FORD V8 owner :(
MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

The Fairlanes have a longer boot than the Falcons - I only lose the space behind the back seat, which is minimal in the Fairlane.

Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

Thanks guys... much appreciated!. My subs are custom mounted. My whole boot it lol . I have to pull her apart totally. Im liking this Dual Fuel business. Do you need to have much fuel in the tank for the gas to really work?. I mean im considering rebuilding the bloke and putting bigger cams and stuff.. Is it worth the it?

= 4DZILR PERFORMANCE =

Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: BF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

I paid 1300 for the GRA underbonnet kit which includes everything but tank. Picked up the tank from a wrecker for 10bux, think its costing me about 100 to get it tested. And another 200 on that for the gas guy to check everything and tune it. If you can do basic stuff yourself you will save a whole bunch of money. My sub is going into my spare tyre well just make a square box to raise the boot level up make cutouts with perspex tops for amps etc and bobs your uncle sweet lookin boot with enuf space for a sub box :) and as far as i kno u dont need petty in to make the gas work.

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 10:20 am 
Technical Contributor

Ride: EFII Sedan

QLD, Australia

I use to run my EB on straight gas 100% of the time, even though it was on dual fuel. Only because the injectors died from lack of use. It was a manual changeover system, so no, it didn't even use petrol at startup. Never had a problem. System was Impco with 225 mixer, non computerized.

The EF on the other hand, while it is still a manual changeover, it doesn't like starting on LPG easily if it hasn't been run for a week or so. The longer its been sitting, the harder to start, but that could be fixed with a small priming solenoid on the converter.

So depending on the system you get, you may not need to use petrol at all, or even need the petrol gear installed. If space is an issue, you could consider a donut tank to go in the spare wheel well. It holds a lot less LPG, but if boot space is critical and you want to stay dual, its one of the few alternatives available.

EF II Sedan
Ex Chaser, Dual Fuel (Impco LPG)
LSD High, 3.23, Black wheels, other shiny bits.

EB II Sedan <--- R.I.P. (Rest in pieces - gone to the wreckers for $50...... bargain!)

Posted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 1:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

LPG is the way of the futrure my friend!! Depending on how many kms you do, the conversion can be paid off in next to no time. Somewhere on here there's a conversion cost program (do a search?). I used it and doing about 20k a year I'd pay off a $1200 conversion in less than 9 months! This is assuming that I get the same fuel economy with both fuels... Generally I can rely on getting 370-400 k's from a tank (65L) of gas which costs about $32. Or 450 kms from 70 litres of petrol which costs $105... Pretty simple maths really!!

I've recently had a dyno run done on my modded 5.0L and the rwkw loss was about 5kw (3.5%) across the entire rev range. The torque figures were a lot closer and the LPG actually made more torque at one point... (don't ask me why, but that's what the graph says!)

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]