Fordmods Logo

EF Not Starting 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: EF Not Starting
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 1:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi All,

I hope someone here can help me, my ef is not starting it does not have spark but the lead plugs and dis pack and new, the fuel pump is new. The engine is turning over but not firing, when turn the key to 2nd point the radiator fan kick in for a little while then turn off, after a little while the relays under the airbox start screeching one of them is trying to start the fan again. From inside when the screeching is occurring the economy light, lights up on the dash and I can here the fuel pump priming but still no start. Anyone have any idea??

Thanks

Nick

Post subject: Re: EF Not Starting
Posted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 2:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

id start with the relays, the 4 relays under the water tank in the engine bay, just go to a wreckers and get a heap should only be a buck or so each, sounds like the eec relay, witch is the green on by itself under the water tank

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:46 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi thanks for the reply, I have already changed the green relay, but now with closer inspection every relay on the car is clicking and screeching. I have tried a different ecu with no luck, but I have noticed that the smart lock symbol is not illuminated until I crank the car then it flashes. I have read people have issues with the bcm unit which I took off last night to have a look, all soldering looks intact.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, NCII V8

SA, Australia

hmm interesting, could be a bcm issue, what color is it

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:05 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

its the green one

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

check connections around battery especially earths for corroded -disconnected - check battery voltage when attempting to start approx.9.5 volts or higher

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

nickd wrote:
Hi thanks for the reply, I have already changed the green relay, but now with closer inspection every relay on the car is clicking and screeching. I have tried a different ecu with no luck, but I have noticed that the smart lock symbol is not illuminated until I crank the car then it flashes. I have read people have issues with the bcm unit which I took off last night to have a look, all soldering looks intact.

I don't think it's a bcm issue. Usually when there's a bcm problem with starting, the engine won't crank over at all.

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:05 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

wtbdlltd wrote:
id start with the relays, the 4 relays under the water tank in the engine bay, just go to a wreckers and get a heap should only be a buck or so each, sounds like the eec relay, witch is the green on by itself under the water tank

If it was the ECU relay them the pump wouldn't prime. ECU relay activates the Fuel Pump relay.

Esteven8 wrote:
nickd wrote:

I don't think it's a bcm issue. Usually when there's a bcm problem with starting, the engine won't crank over at all.

Could be BCM, part of the smartlock system kills injector pulse.

TedW wrote:
check connections around battery especially earths for corroded -disconnected - check battery voltage when attempting to start approx.9.5 volts or higher

Good place to start. ECU does not like low Voltage. Bad earth will cause issues. Check the Engine earth cable.

Posted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 3:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AU Fairmont Ghia

SA, Australia

SWC wrote:
Esteven8 wrote:
nickd wrote:

Could be BCM, part of the smartlock system kills injector pulse.

I didn't consider that. I stand corrected. :)

dc_todd wrote:
Cheap pads squeal like cheap hookers, and you can take that to the bank.

Au Fairmont Ghia
My (Old) 95 EF Wagon

Posted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:18 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Hi Guys thanks for all the reply's, she is alive! wtbdlltd was right about it being the eec relay which I mines was hanging down from its bracket and was a brown not green. Again much appreciated for all your help and input guys!

Nick

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]