EL Auto ECU into EA Series 2 Auto Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Post subject: EL Auto ECU into EA Series 2 Auto Falcon
Posted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

I've been pulling out my hair trying to get an EL auto ECU and EL auto transmission to work in an EA Series 2 (auto) Falcon. The car originally had a factory auto BTR and then a manual T5, J3 chip & EL motor with BBM & thermofans. Now, for the wife to drive it, I've put in a reco EL auto trans, re-routed the 14 TCM wires as per a fordmods thread. It also has a TI Performance J3 chip in it now for the Wade 1636 cam I just installed.

Is the ECU in Limp Home Mode? I can get all gears to move the car but the trans doesn't work immediately. It might be 10-20 seconds before it goes into gear. It's as if the pump is not working fast enough. Hence, I don't like to rev it too much and then have it slam into gear. An auto electrician has been working on it for 3 days but gave up after he couldn't get it to work.

My questions are:

1. Electrically, what's the difference between an EL BTR auto and the EA Series 2 auto boxes?
I bought the reco trans from BBE Automatics in Melbourne and they've tested it on a dynometer before sending it to me. So I'm confident that's not the cause.

2. I checked and rechecked all the pinouts and connections so I'm sure all the wires are in the correct locations. I've been using the EB2-ED and EL pinout diagrams off fordmods to verify the wiring.

3. When I plug in the OBD1, with it set on ENGINE, I get a few errors but some of them are related to the EL. They were all there when it was working OK as a manual. When I switch to TRANSMISSION on the OBD1, there's nothing (like it can't detect the trans). It used to detect any errors it with the original BTR.

4. The engine loom is a converted one I bought from someone on fordmods. It works fine with a manual setup. Apart from the knock sensor, is there anything else that should be added to it for the auto ECU to work properly.

5. The selector switch on the trans works properly and all the voltages are in the ranges for the solenoids to work. This has been tested at the ECU pinout. There's also power getting to the box.

6. If I have to reinstall the TCM to operate the trans, should I be using a resistor to trick the EL ECU into thinking it's in neutral? Is the EL ECU looking for any other signals or voltages?

I've had the car for over 20 years and prefer to keep it rather than part it out or sell it. The workshop, that has the car, say I should just convert it back to a manual but that's not an option now as the T5 is going into my son-in-laws EL.

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 1 post ]