Fordmods Logo

EL XR6 manual ECU worth it? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: EL XR6 manual ECU worth it?
Posted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:11 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hey everyone.

I've got an ED which i plan to get an AU motor for which will be fitted up with the bbm.

However it's a manual on LPG with the 3.45 LSD. I was wondering if I'd be better just to go with an EL manual non XR6 ECU since I'd miss out on the fuel maps since I only use LPG, the manual doesn''t need the auto maps for the diff.

Is there any advantage an XR6 ECU would give me with an LPG manual?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: EL XR6 manual ECU worth it?
Posted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

Gidday.

The XR Ignition maps are a bit more aggressive, and work better with the LPG than a GLi ECU would.

My suggestion, however is to source the Factory Tickford Dual Fuel EL ECU. This has LPG specific ignition maps, but GLi spec petrol maps. This is an Auto ECU however, but if you use the resistor trick it should be all good.

I am currently running this configuration in my T5 Converted Wagon, and works well.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1992 EBII Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Thanks for that BenJ.

I've heard the revs can hang with the auto ECU despite the resistor trick, and a manual ECU is the only way to get rid of this, I read about it in an old thread on here.

Also do you know if fairmont ECU's are different to falcon ones? I know the ghia ones are however I'm unsure if I need anything for elec windows, climate control and other fairmont parts, will I need a fairmont ECU for those things or will I just need a BEM or something?

I see you've got the EL dash setup in there so I assume not.

Cheers.

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:13 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

i think the rev hang issue is caused by people not doing it properly or dont know what they are doing.!lol.
yes fit the resistors but once they are fitted the voltage at the ecu should be checked to ensure its within its range..
myself and ben j are both running the resistor trick and we dont have any rev hang issues..

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EB1 Fairmont Ghia T5 Wagon

NSW, Australia

ILLaViTaR wrote:
Thanks for that BenJ.

I've heard the revs can hang with the auto ECU despite the resistor trick, and a manual ECU is the only way to get rid of this, I read about it in an old thread on here.

Also do you know if fairmont ECU's are different to falcon ones? I know the ghia ones are however I'm unsure if I need anything for elec windows, climate control and other fairmont parts, will I need a fairmont ECU for those things or will I just need a BEM or something?

I see you've got the EL dash setup in there so I assume not.

Cheers.

As Troyman has said, we are both using the resistor trick, and have NO rev hang issues.

The Falcon/Fairmont ECUs are the same and Fairmont Ghia ECU is different with the Tickford Fuel and ignition maps, Auto maps for the 3.45 Diff, and output for the Speed Sensitive Pwr Steering.

I previously used a Fairmont Ghia ECU in the T5 Wagon, but last weekend I swapped to a Tickford LPG Dual Fuel ECU, and the results are good on LPG.

What Dash and Wiring are you planning to use? The ED climate control is more stand alone than the EF/EL version, which interfaces more with the ECU.

BenJ

BenJ's EB T5 DOHC Ghia Wagon - Current Ride
BenJ's EB GL Sedan - Previous Ride
My respect and thanks go to - snap0964, Paulmac, SWC and MRE-50L

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Have you had much luck with the eliminator chip im thinking of using it on my turbo ef.

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ef xr6 turbo

SA, Australia

Have you had much luck with the eliminator chip im thinking of using it on my turbo ef.

there are a few falcons in my drive way, some of them are turbo charged and some arent, some have big engines and some are small but they all have one thing in common and that is the blue oval on the front

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]