Fordmods Logo

Electric Fan Control EB/ED V8 

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Electric Fan Control EB/ED V8
Posted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

Has anyone sucessfully used the EEC to control an electric fan in EB-ED EEC4 V8 Falcons?

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Post subject: Re: Electric Fan Control EB/ED V8
Posted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

I would say no. I don't think there was a provision/tune for thermo fans in the earlier E series ECUs. I'd have to check the bin, but I don't have any early E series bins. Options are to have them on a physical switch; either hi\lo\off or hi\lo etc. Or create your own thermo fan speed controller (unless someone already makes them) and splice into the EEC wiring; that wouldn't be a small job. Or convert to an EF/EL dash.

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what about plugging in an EL ECU and adding pins? like the i6 boys do?

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 1:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

jaysway wrote:
what about plugging in an EL ECU and adding pins? like the i6 boys do?

This is a concept to be explored a bit more. Most people i know just use an aftermarket controller kit like some of the I6 boys do, the Davies Craig kit. I used one in my 6cyl. I think that is what is also in use in the red Xr8 i have, but i need to check that....

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:31 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Use the EL (v8) ECU with a J3 chip - to disable smartlock.

Im not sure about any other differences - except that EB Series One had a APS (Atmo Pressure sensor) which was deleted on later models. May just be a matter of unplugging it.

Nigel

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

EB-ED V8 = 60 pin EEC4. EF-EL V8 = 104 pin EEC4.5. It is physically and electronically impossible to swap ecus.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Last edited by xafalcon on Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:17 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

On the I6 models...

EA-EB-ED EEC-IV 60 pin
EF EEC-V 104pin
EL EEC-V 60pin

This is how we i6 boys run an EL EEC with a J3 chip, in my case to convert it back to log manifold, convert it to manual from auto and change the AFR's to a wade 1636...

We can't run an EF computer, but an EL one is no worries... This way we can also add the factory trigger for the BBM (for those who run it) and trigger wires for the thermos...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Yeah I'm aware of that I6 stuff.

But for V8 they actually added more functions to the ecu from EF onwards that make it very difficult to swap in a later ecu. Besides the basic 60 pin v's 104 pin difference, there is also the transmission control inputs & outputs. EB-ED V8 had one very basic tcm to ecu data line, EF-EL tcm/transmission to ecu has 3 data links. To overcome this would require swapping the tcm & transmission (because the solenoid valving is also different) & integrating some wiring. Even then it may not be possible as there is another data link going from ecu to tcm that may not be compatible.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Yeah making sure it wasn't a typo...

So basically on a v8 to get away with it you'd be transplanting virtually everything into an ED shell...

In that instance it may be best to roll with a thermo switch in the thermostat housing (one with two contacts at different temps) and use the relay block out of the EL i6... Same as I recommend for I6 people who don't wanna run an EEC-V

I have the wiring info for the fans with dual speeds triggered off a tridon temp switch with dual contacts if required... Up to you to pick the temps and hence the switch you require... At the end of the day this looks neater and doesn't have a capillary line like the davies craig kits do...

Cheers...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:50 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

Thanks for the offer of help. I'm already running a thermoswitch and was looking to upgrade.

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

timmytimtim wrote:
Yeah making sure it wasn't a typo...

So basically on a v8 to get away with it you'd be transplanting virtually everything into an ED shell...

In that instance it may be best to roll with a thermo switch in the thermostat housing (one with two contacts at different temps) and use the relay block out of the EL i6... Same as I recommend for I6 people who don't wanna run an EEC-V

I have the wiring info for the fans with dual speeds triggered off a tridon temp switch with dual contacts if required... Up to you to pick the temps and hence the switch you require... At the end of the day this looks neater and doesn't have a capillary line like the davies craig kits do...

Cheers...

what tridon temp switch would be a straight swap replacement for the davies craig unit?
cheers

Posted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Truth be told...

I'm not really sure...

I drew up the designs and tell people to choose their own engine temps...

There is a list of thermatic fan switches on the Tridon website... You need one with two contacts, each operating at different temps, this gives the high/low arrangement... I like the website when I help people with it and say pick something that you can A) screw into your thermostat housing & B) will work with the temp range you require... This depends on people's set-up and thermostat opening temp, obviously you want the fans to come on after the thermostat has opened... so yeah...

I am sure optimum running temp for the 6cyl is 190F or 90C... thereabouts... I think that is the std thermostat... So you want your fans to come in higher... maybe someone who has the EF/EL bin files can enlighten me as to what the temps are its set at to bring on the fans? or if anyone has any better idea? I was going to try and work out what was best but settled with a j3 chip and EEC-V in my 6 cyl...

Hope this helps... sorry for the uncertainty... but as I'm not 100% sure I don't like to recommend...

Any insight to ideal fan temps would be openly support by me...

Tridon website:

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Produ ... 483&P=2014

these, I'm sure, are available from super cheap auto and probably many other places too...

Modified EL wiring to give dual speeds off a thermatic switch...

http://www.tridon.com.au/Products/Produ ... 483&P=2014

Maybe the Davies Craig setup suits people better... But to me I hate the idea of the capillary line and the surely must nearly leak with the rubber wedge and that... Just looks untidy and seems cheap and nasty to me... But some people may sooner it... Each to their own...

Cheers,
Tim

Attachments:
Universal Thermatic Fan Wiring.pdf [72.82 KiB]
Downloaded 487 times

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:27 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: EB2 Ghia,Mighty Boy,Eb1 Xr8 5spd

VIC, Australia

Only drama i have with the Davies Craig setup is it can be a b**ch to get the top hose to seal with the temp probe in there. Once you have it sealed it's ok for a while, then it starts to weep again.....

I think it's time to check out a dual temp switch for me. Or an electronic controller that can run off the std temp sender.

Cheers

ToranaGuy

I am the ToranaGuy!|74 Lh Torana Turbo|78 Hz PanelVan|86 Mighty Boy Ute|93 EB2 Ghia,GT Mockup,5spd,LPGI,Full Leather|2 x EB Xr8 5spd's|FS [VIC]: Wrecking - Eb XR8 - Parts available |Build Thread|Ebay Items - Ford Parts|

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:09 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Go to a BMW wrecker and get the Dual Temp Thermo Switch. and some of its assoc. Wiring.

I ran one of these in an EB for over 5 years. I'll be running it in my windsor as well. Cost me $20 with the wiring. If you really want a new one its in the Tridon Range - but costs a lot more.

You can have two speed fans this way. Its also the switch that the dual speed BPT kits with one sensor use.

Nigel

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:41 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

Hi Nigel,

Which part no in the tridon range is it mate?

I thought there was a BMW with the right switch, but wasn't sure of the exact model it came off... Other thing is, here in the country trying to find a wrecked BMW is like looking for a needle in a haystack...

If you get that switch and use the EL relay block and add one more relay so that the fans come on low when the AC is on your set...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next