Engine dies when I give it a boot full 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine dies when I give it a boot full
Posted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 7:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Fairmont Ghia AU III

QLD, Australia

Hi,

If I give my car a bootfull when I take off or when I go around a corner the engine dies as if its not getting any fuel. Happens more when I have less than half a tank.

What should I check first, maybe the fuel pump?

Thanks

2002 AU III Fairmont Ghia
2004 Focus 1.8 SR (Wifes car)
2000 Yamaha R6 (Toy)

Post subject: Re: Engine dies when I give it a boot full
Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

Hi
I have the same car and have the same problem. Thank god im a mechanic and found the cause because paying a mechanic to find this problem would cost a fortune
There is a fault with actual fuel tank.
I fitted brand new fuel pump and level sender and to my suprise found almost half a tank of fuel even though the old and brand new gauge said empty. I checked the level sender using multi meter and found nothing wrong with the new or old level sender
Fitting new fuel pump did not fix problem.
As you said put your foot down or go fast around a corner fuel pressure is lost and car almost stalls
The only way to fix the problem was to fit an EL fuel tank i had that i knew had no issues. The AU fuel pump does not fit EL tank so i had to cut old plug and rewired the EL plug to use the better EL fuel pump .

Posted: Tue Oct 14, 2014 10:25 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: au fairmont ghia

QLD, Australia

Hi
I have the same car and have the same problem. Thank god im a mechanic and found the cause because paying a mechanic to find this problem would cost a fortune
There is a fault with actual fuel tank.
I fitted brand new fuel pump and level sender and to my suprise found almost half a tank of fuel even though the old and brand new gauge said empty. I checked the level sender using multi meter and found nothing wrong with the new or old level sender
Fitting new fuel pump did not fix problem.
As you said put your foot down or go fast around a corner fuel pressure is lost and car almost stalls
The only way to fix the problem was to fit an EL fuel tank i had that i knew had no issues. The AU fuel pump does not fit EL tank so i had to cut old plug and rewired the EL plug to use the better EL fuel pump .

Posted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Had the same problem with my EF wagon: would die momentarily when cornering hard left (fuel pickup is on the left) unless the tank was basically full. The problem only started after I paid a mechanic a small fortune to replace a dead fuel pump (wasn't close to home, or I would have done it myself). Got fed up with it dying around corners, so bought a cheap ($100) fuel pump online, replaced it myself, and never had a problem since. At the same time I also adjusted the fuel sender float arm so it reads correctly - was showing a 1/4 tank when actually empty :shock: .

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]