Fordmods Logo

Engine starts and runs for about 15 seconds then cuts - fuel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Engine starts and runs for about 15 seconds then cuts - fuel
Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:40 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

Hi there - I've done a search but not found what I'm after.

Today my car cut out at 80kph on the road. I coasted over to a safe spot no worries. When I initially tried to start it, it sputtered but wouldn't catch. After 30 seconds or so it started fine and ran absolutely normal and smooth for about 15 to 20 seconds then cut out. This it repeats consistently now - ie. wait about 30 seconds and it will start fine and run but only for 15 to 20 seconds and cut - it will cut out quicker if I rev the engine.

Has anyone had this same situation? - I'm thinking fuel starvation - ie. filter or fuel pump tho leaning more to fuel blockage (filter) because I'd imagine the engine would not get any fuel at all without the pump running at all, and if the pump is running weakly then the engine should run at least raggedly or at low revs.

Unfortunately it's happened too far from home to get it into my own garage to work on it - ie. I would start by replacing the fuel filter then work from there - but instead I've had no choice but to let RACQ take it to their nearest workshop to be worked on starting Monday.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:43 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I would think it's the fuel filter too. could either be the one in tank or the external one. Either way it sounds like the engine is starving off fuel. Have you also looked at your air filter? could be massively blocked because something caught in it?

phong =P~

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:46 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 3 images

NSW, Australia

I think you answered your own question...check fuel system, and all should be well, unless some ignition problem ie coil or dizzy playing up

Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Power: 482 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Does it have smartlock??? Is inside light blown?
Check fuses..????

As in ZOOM 126 edition
331 Dart block,3.25/ 4340 steel crank, Oliver rods,TFS ported track heat heads, TFS track heat inlet Twin SC61 turbo's
Project 1UZ-EF has started.. S475 Turbo 4.0 V8 Mustang Celica.....

Posted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

OK, problem turned out to be the old dead TFI module syndrome - I'm really angry at myself because this happened about 4 years ago but I had forgotten that it had done the same starting, running and cutting out thing then too!! I had pretty much fooled myself into thinking it was fuel related.

In fact that time, the car got towed to my mechanic and when they went to work on it the next day it started and ran fine and didn't shut down..... - until they were about 2 blocks away test driving it and had to get it towed back to the workshop.

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]