Faulty sender or gauge? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Faulty sender or gauge?
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Driving back from Penrith today and all of a sudden the car started to vibrate badly when accelerating... First thought was for f**k sake what now. I pulled into the closest fuel shop and got a Nulon injector cleaner and some fuel thinking it may be dirty fuel as all fluids were fine and nothing seemed wrong. After putting in $20 I noticed the gauge didnt move from just under 1/4 tank, so obviously the shake was due to lack of fuel because it drove fine once she had some juice in her.
When I pulled up at home I got the Mrs to check the gauge while I disconnected the sender plug ( rectangle plug on top of the sender/pump assembly right?) to find the gauge didnt move at all, so I am wondering if its not the actual sender but the clusters gauge thats at fault? This is the second sender I have put in and it was working fine up until today.
Did I remove the right plug ( car was running while disconnected so I assume yes), should the gauge on the cluster have dropped when disconnected and does this all mean the gauge is buggered? Car's a 94 Ef Fairmont i6.

Post subject: Re: Faulty sender or gauge?
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

What happens when you turn the ignition off?

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

gauge drops. Engine on or reds and it goes to 1/4, take the plug from the top of the sender/pump unit and the gauge doesnt move from 1/4 at all on reds or when engine running

Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Lesson learnt, dont trust the Mrs. I asked her to tell me if the gauge dropped when I unplugged the sender and she said it didnt. Went out tonight and had a squizz myself and the f**k gauge drops!!! Sprayed the connections with some wd40 and wacked another $20 in her, so about 30L id say after the $20 today and she is sitting just under 1/2 tank. Had an issue with water getting into the boot I think I just fixed ( rail the boot seal sits on was bent down a bit) so Ill see how it goes.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]