Fordmods Logo

fitting a ED XR6 ECU to a 3.9MPEFI EB.... how? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: fitting a ED XR6 ECU to a 3.9MPEFI EB.... how?
Posted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:00 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

hey guys i've recently bought a ed XR6 motor with ecu, i need to know the best/easiest way to install the ECU to my 3.9MPefi EB loom. do i need to swap the whole loom with an ED item?? or just re-wire the exsisting one? i'd like to get smart lock to operate unless it's to hard.

diagrams or other info is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

First things first : You dont *have* to use your XR6 ECU - it will run with the existing one

Now : *if* you really have to run the XR6 ECU, then the easiest way is to use the existing harness, and just add the smartlock wire. There are two ways to produce the smartlock signal at the moment : First being to fudge a smartlock out of an EB-II, ED, EF, EL into producing the signal (and there are people on here who can tell you how..). The Second is to go to ford and pay $300 or so for a smartlock emulator (3 wires and your in).

Aside from the Smartlock wire, the ECUs are the same. (Pinouts at least)

Nigel

Posted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:14 pm 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: Na Fairlane

VIC, Australia

you can run the engine on the 3.9 mpfi ecu, im doing now in my fairlane, but i wouldn't recommend it, idle quality is rough, an it lacks the xr6 fuel maps. so less power.

i actually in the middle of swapping the entire electrical system from a 94 fairmont into 89 fairlane, just to hook up the computer.

Btw if you get the engine in and running with the tickford ecu, then you'll need the 250 kpa xr6 fuel pump to stop it leaning out at high rmp, cos the standard falc fuel pump is only 200 kpa and cant keep up with the demand of the xr6 engine when running the correct ecu.

9mm one size fits all

89 Na Fairlane, Resprayed prestige silver, Lowered with munrow shocks and springs, 17x8 Au II tickford rims, ED xr6 engine, T-5 transmission, 3-2-1 luckey extractors, full 2-1/2 inch luckey exhuast with single luckey turbo muffler and hotdog resonator.

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:33 pm 
Oompa Loompa

SA, Australia

hey thanks guys, very help full. I had no idea the fuel pumps were different.

so the ECU will plug straight into my loom? but i have to add one wire? will smart lock work then?

whats a smart lock signal?

cheers guys.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2005 8:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

what about eb non smartlock 5 speed ecu into 3.9lt cfi loom go straight in?how about all the engine bay looms will they plug straight in?

97 el xr6,5 speed short shifter,sequential scoop,no arial,freshly resprayed,low on 17's,3 inch zorst,stainless hi flo cat,snort stage 3 stainless manifold,garrett t04e,front mount cooler,wolf 3d ecu,seimens 760cc injectors,walbro fuel pump

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 5 posts ]