Fordmods Logo

Flash Tune not what I expected! 

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Flash Tune not what I expected!
Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:14 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: Ford Falcon FG F6

WA, Australia

Hi guys im definitely a newbie at the tuning thing, so bear with me. I just went and got a Generic tune 98 ron as far as i know from BPT motorsport. Barry flashed my ecu and no i dont have a flash box. Givin that i didnt get a custom tune i figured that it wasnt going to be that great any way. Lets start from the basics I have an 04 BA XR6 NA with K&N panel filter, typhoon airbox, pacemaker extractors, pacemaker high flow cat, 2.5 in SS Lukey exhaust and a 82 degree thermostat. When I pulled away the car felt exactly the same. I did notice that the car shifts a bit softer with the tune in it for some reason, it felt quicker with the stock map in it from before. On the plus side of things the car does sound better. It does seem quicker when im going at a higher speed but when i shift into second with tune (tiptronic) it doesnt throw me in the seat as much as it used to. Getting worried, is this normal? I was expecting it to have a little better throttle response and it to shift a bit harder. PLEASE tell me the tune needs to get used to the car like every other performance part? Any idea? Barry was a big help though trying to fit me in for the flash tune today.

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Post subject: Re: Flash Tune not what I expected!
Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

take it back to him tell him your not happy did you get a before an after dyno?

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

No before or after dyno unfortunately! cost too much much for the dyno. The flash wouldnt need to get used to the car would it? deciding on the fuel/air ratio mix etc?

08 FG F6 #326. 4" Xforce exhaust turbo back with mid muffler delete, 1000cc injectors, 20% Underdrives, Stage 2 intercooler and piping, Stage 2 gear box, Upgraded flex plate, upgraded transcooler, upgraded fuel pump, Streetfighter air intake, cooler thermostate, SCT tune at 20psi at 406rwkw

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

ive heard nothin but bad stuff about BPT.
obviosly a tune should improve some performance side of the car plus firm up and quiken the shifts. if its gone backwards then get ya money back and go somwer else.

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri May 27, 2011 8:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I don't these generic tunes, one size docent fit all plain and simple and if u can't afford it then wait till u can. Take the car back and tell them what's happening and that your not happy and I would pay the difference and get custom tune.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 2:05 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Thanks for the reply guys! Yea your right I should of just waited for the custom tune. Well I did email him but hasnt gotten back to me yet. Im hoping he can give me my money back or make the tune work for my car, now its just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I dont want to be screwed out on $485 for nothing.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 5:53 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Well he did get back to me!
Hi Tim,

"There is an adaptive learn for fueling that does usually ony take about 10k of driving to establish. However I can look at the program just to make sure that the bottom end is the same. Usually the gain is in the mid to top end of the scale."

Regards,

Barry Batten
BPT Motorsport

So I emailed him back saying that ("I have driven 10k cause i live like 50 or 60 ks from his shop and the bottom end of the car feels the same if not slower as the gear shift doesnt feel as stiff as it was before, I expected it to have stiffer shifts and better acceleration.") Lets hope he can rectify the problem! Ill keep you guys updated!

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 8:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Mr. Xpressionz wrote:
So I emailed him back saying that ("I have driven 10k cause i live like 50 or 60 ks from his shop and the bottom end of the car feels the same if not slower as the gear shift doesnt feel as stiff as it was before, I expected it to have stiffer shifts and better acceleration.") Lets hope he can rectify the problem! Ill keep you guys updated!

Did you ask them before hand if the shifts were going to be any firmer? or did you just expect it?
Is there really a problem OR has the top end improved and the bottom end has changed? Giving you the 'feeling' of a sluggish bottom end.

Some times I think people don't find out enough info on what they are getting before handing over the money, and they are just going by some dribble they read on a forum.

Posted: Sat May 28, 2011 11:24 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

well funny that you say 10k= 10,000 kms thats what i was thinking he said at first as well, but I just thought that the ecu would get used to it usually after a tank of petrol, which is a couple of hundred K's thats what ive noticed with every other mod that ive put on my car. But i figured he meant 10 kilometers because 10,000 just seemed it bit over the top. The higher end of the car pulls a bit better yes but very very slightly, and the bottom end feels a bit more sluggish and it doesnt shift as hard for some reason. Soooo in other words the flashed ecu still needs a fair bit of time to actually get used to my driving style/mods/fuel and air ratio ect? So is that the case just like the regular ecu but at 10,000 ks for the flash tune? Let me know what you guys think! Thanks for helping out guys really appreciate it!

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 12:15 am 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Yea thats what I was thinking, but wasnt sure if the flashed ecu sort of did things instantly or it took a few hundred K's. Ill see what BPT says when he gets back to me about the firmness of the shift and about the acceleration feeling a bit sluggish.

Posted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Just tell them u want to pay the difference and go custom tune when u have the funds available

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:04 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: Kia Rio - 1.4L Auto

Power: 238 rwkw

VIC, Australia

What flash device did he use?

If its something by SCT, then its kind of illegal that you have a tune but no device. Herrod Motorsport would be more than interested in this.

Also, if its something generic, it will be loosely based on a safe tune for a standard engine. Not taking into account any of your mods.

When I got my tune done, I s**t my dacks on the first U-turn. Which was only 50m from the workshop it was done at.

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 3:58 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

a flash tune should be instant..
the tune wether generic or custom once loaded or flashed the changes are made to the program are instant..changes to the fuel map or timing are exactly that they are changed, its not like a child where you need to show them what to do a few times before it learns..lol
after all its a comuter program, you dont install a program or program update on your pc and have to wait so many hours before the changes take effect...

its the same on an aftermarket ecu or j3, once the tune is changed and saved it effective immediatly..

Posted: Mon May 30, 2011 5:02 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

no it wasnt from a SCT flash box it was from a sniper flash box same thing just programs a bit quicker than the sct box. The car is starting to feel a bit better since ive drivin about 300 k's and it seems a tad stronger through the higher revs but nothing like s**t my dacks by any means. I guess generic tunes arent the way to go at all. This should probably be a STICKY just letting people know that custom tunes are the way to go and generics are just generics dont waste your money like I have! Hey atleast a good thing has come out of this, LESSON LEARNED!!! I couldnt wait for the custom tune because i just got itchy and had to go faster but not as fast as i thought. Hopefully by the next time i refuel the ecu has so called adjusted. The biggest difference ive noticed is that the exhaust sounds much better and it shifts a bit smoother.

Posted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:45 pm 
Parts Gopher

WA, Australia

Sent an email to BPT about paying the difference for a custom tune. He said that would be no problem at all. Atleast he's nice enough to allow me to pay the difference. But the funniest thing is happening, Its been a week since ive gotten it and ive driven it a fair bit now and the car is actually starting to feel more responsive and quicker through the revs! hmmm interesting! But anyway if your going to do it at all do it right the first time and get a custom tune period, thats what ive learned. Thanks guys for giving me your input I really appreciate the effort! Lets hope the custom tune is more instant. lol

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next