Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Fuel Atomiser
Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EB S1 3.9L Bush basher

WA, Australia

Here is a link to a Top Fuel Power Neo
http://www.topspec.com.au/prod49.htm
do they really work, if so how good are they and how well would it work on my 1994 Ford Fairmont ED

I dont care how fast your car is, mine goes faster through the bush.

Posted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 1:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

If they worked, car manufacturers would be fitting them as standard. These items have been tested a number of times and have never shown any results, not sure how companies still get away with their claims.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:14 am 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

Here's another similar item Repco are selling.

http://www.vaporate.com/

Looking at the actual car specs for a BA Turbo tested under load it appears have quite a change on the Nitric Oxide emmissions due to better combustion.

What does that all mean, NO IDEA.

Posted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I don't really see that either system will do much good, and here's the reason. Of course, there are may theories as to what happens in regards to the fuel's vapourisation, and each theory can be argued against with another theory, but here's what I believe.

We all know the typical pintle style injector. It's just a pintle that's opened and closed by a solenoid and they squirt out a jet of petrol. To role of a standard pintle injector is not really to vapourise all the fuel at all. It's to get the fuel into the engine.

The vapourisation of the fuel relies on a few things. Firstly, it relys on a mechanical mechanism to break up the jet of fuel. Injectors are usually directed towards the side of the intake port or at the back of the valve. As the fuel hits this surface, it breaks up the fuel into small droplets.

The second process of vapourisating the fuel is heat. You'll notice that on the Vapourate site, they talk about the fuel vapourising as it's being "buffeted" I think they say, by the air entering the engine. Actually what is happening is the fuel is drawing heat out of the air to change its state from liquid to gas. This process has the added benefit in that it reduces the air temperature and increases the air density going into the engine.

Now, enter vapourate. It works by heating up the fuel as it exits the injector by drawing heat from the intake manifold. Now, this has a few drawbacks.

1. If you heat up the fuel with heat from the intake manifold, the fuel no longer draws heat from the air going into the engine. So you don't get the reduction in air temperature and increase in density. This equates to less power.

2. In high power cars, the fuel helps to cool the intake vavle. Since this valve gets hot, the fuel also draws heat from it as it passes to vapourise the fuel. The intake valve is probably running around 500 or 600 degrees C. Now, the vapourate system says that drawing heat out of an 80 C manifold is more effective that drawing heat from a 500C valve? By the fuel drawing heat from the intake valve, you increase valve and valve seat life, and you also reduce the chance of pre-ignition caused by a hot intake valve.

3. In any injection system, whether it be sequention, or banked, results in fuel pooling up behind the intake valve before entering the engine at some point in the RPM range. Don't believe me? a simple maths equation proves it.
Injectors are usually sized to run @ no more than 80% duty cycle @ peak power. Some OEM manufacturers may choose to run a lower duty cycle so they can run the same injector in low power varients of their engine aswell as high power varients. So, let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they chose 60% duty cycle. This means that under full throttle, @ peak power, the injector is open 60% of the time. The intake valve, having about 270 degrees duration, is only open for 37.5% of the engine cycle. So, the injector is open when the intake valve is closed and this results in fuel pooling up behind the intake valve.
This results in two things.
1. It gives the fuel more time to absorb heat from the intake valve to aid vapourisation.
2. When the intake valve starts to open, you can get very, very high gas speeds passing by the intake valve. Speeds in excess of the speed of sound aren't uncommon. This huge acceleration of the air, sucking the fuel past a very small opening does wonders for atomisation. It's using the venturi effect that all carbies use to vapourise the fuel for the engine.

So there you have it. As for using magnets to "re-order" the fuel before it enters the engine, well, I don't know about that. If the structure of fuel was so easily changeable and volatile, then the chemistry of the fuel would chage on its way from the refinery to the bowser, the alcohol in your Johnny Walker would change its chemistry before it hit the shelves, the tar that coats our roads would turn to petrol..... this is IF the chemistry is so volatile and easily changed.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]