Fordmods Logo

fuel pump issues (EF) 

Page 2 of 2 [ 26 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:22 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

greg302 - No, what car have you got? This is telling you that the engine is probably flooded. The pump does not get affected by the accelerator pedal. It is switched by a relay, which is switched by the ecu. Nothing else... digital, on or off, 1 or 0, etc... I would say your engine is either flooding, or something else.

XCH45R - there's different coughs and f@rt. It could be from missing under load, and then it would be your ignition, it could be just in need of maintenance. But if its the fuel pump, you will experience "flat spots". Say you put your foot down, the engine will rev, and you'll feel the car pulling, and then all of a sudden it feels like it still revving but as if very slowly... and then it kicks in again... is this what you are experiencing? because this is what I had. And still got really. I got a Walbro 255L/Hr pump to make sure there's enough fuel (hehe), and a malpassi fuel reg to keep it consistent.
Don't buy a second hand fuel pump though!! They die again in many cases soon after replacing.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EF & VTR1000

NSW, Australia

justfordima wrote:
greg302 - No, what car have you got? This is telling you that the engine is probably flooded. The pump does not get affected by the accelerator pedal. It is switched by a relay, which is switched by the ecu. Nothing else... digital, on or off, 1 or 0, etc... I would say your engine is either flooding, or something else.

XCH45R - there's different coughs and f@rt. It could be from missing under load, and then it would be your ignition, it could be just in need of maintenance. But if its the fuel pump, you will experience "flat spots". Say you put your foot down, the engine will rev, and you'll feel the car pulling, and then all of a sudden it feels like it still revving but as if very slowly... and then it kicks in again... is this what you are experiencing? because this is what I had. And still got really. I got a Walbro 255L/Hr pump to make sure there's enough fuel (hehe), and a malpassi fuel reg to keep it consistent.
Don't buy a second hand fuel pump though!! They die again in many cases soon after replacing.

Cheers

What im getting is if i boot it when it hits 3k it will cough and f@rt as if its running on 5cylinders, and not move anywhere, after 3.5k it revs like a banshee.

I only just recently replaced my plugs and leads 2.

On start up when u turn the reds on and normally here the fuel pump kick in, it makes a nice hum noise, then other times it will clunk and hum roughly.

Also on cold start up's it wont idle unless u hold the revs up manually. Starting to s**t me, couldent even over take an old granny on my way home from work this morning because it was breaking up like a C***. GRR! lol

Went to light it up at work last night, foot on the brake, accelerate and it coughed and f@rt like a bastard and wouldent even spin.. serious problem there... >: >:

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:54 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: ebxr8

VIC, Australia

justfordima wrote:

Cheers

eb xr8

347, crane cam, Pro topline 180 heads, Edelbrock victor efi intake, 80mm C&L maf, 75mm tb, 30lb injectors and 1/4 horse

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:48 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

If its coughing and f@rt as you describe, as if it is missing, then I would doubt that the fuel pump is the sole reason for these problems. Missing and carrying on like that might be alot of things, but running rich especially sounds like what you are describing. Check your map sensor, and check for vaccum leaks. Some troubled spots are the brake booster vaccum hose, the map sensor hose, and just general leaks.. listen carefully.

greg302 - Im not expert on V8's but I do know that your car is an injected 302W. Meaning you'd be doing well to flood it. On the other hand, the accelerator doesn't do anything for the fuel side of things in an injected car. The only thing I can think of is if you have it foot flat on the floor while cranking it tells the ecu to start in anti-flooding mode or whatever its called. This means that it reduces the amount of fuel going in, to allow starting a flooded engine, hence why I mentioned that it might be flooding. Maybe you have leaking injectors? Not quite sure on that one. try starting a thread in the V8 section, they'd know what you are experiencing.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

What does the Map Sensor control? Does it control fuel flow etc? To check for leaks do I just listen? :s

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:13 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

MAP sensor is your manifold air pressure(I think) sensor.. measure your vacuum to determine amount of fuel going in(mixed along with other sensors). This is a black thing on your firewall on the passenger side in the engine bay. It has a vaccum hose going to it, plus electronic connector.

As for checking for leaks.. Im sure you can imagine what an air leak sounds like.. suck through a straw and find out :wink:

Also you can spray stuff everywhere like carby cleaner for example, and see if the revs change (like drop down for example), and if so, check that area for leaks, and fix accordingly.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

what a pain in the a***.. also backfires somewhere under the bonnet. NRMA might have another pay out soon! lol jk :roll:

Posted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:20 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

lol. If you're that concerned, and can't be bothered or dont think you can do it. Take it to a mechanic. Just be prepared to dish out quite a large sum.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:42 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

nah, ill attempt it, can't be too hard ;) just gotta get some spare time!

Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 4:30 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL Futura

VIC, Australia

I'm getting pretty much the same symtoms in my EL I6, idles pretty poorly and loss of power (missing) when cold and fine when warm. I noticed this week that if I use standard unleaded (i.e. not Optimax or Ultimate) it runs fine hot or cold. Any ideas?

Post subject: fuel strainer
Posted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:11 am 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

how can i see the fuel pump strainer in an EF FAIRMONT under the carpet in the boot is where the spare wheel is and that sits on top of i imagine the top of the fuel tank (shiney metal square box with screws all the way round it) do i have to take that off to get to the strainer thanks.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2