Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Fuel Saver Mods - Fact or Fiction
Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 28 images

Ride: NCII Fairlane + G220

Power: 143 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Just wondering if anybody has tried the new fuel saver modifications that are now listed on Ebay by the dozen?
Firstly, there is the many varied rip offs of the popular Hiclone unit which fits into the air intake and creates the "tornado effect" and apparently breaks up the air/fuel mix into a fine mist.
Secondly, there is the unit which is cable tied onto the fuel line which apparently breaks up the molecules in the fuel, also creating a finer mist and preventing oxidation buildup. It mentions that for a 5.0ltr V8, you should fit between 3 and 4 units! At $50 a pop this could be an expensive measure which would take quite some time to pay for itself!
Last we have the "Mod Chip" which connects onto the air intake sensor to trick the ECU into thinking that the incoming air is at a constant "cool" temp. Apparently increases horsepower but also increases fuel economy? Something you don't normally read in the same sentence!
I will be interested to see your views on this subject, and if anyone has tried any or all of these mods, some results would be good as well.
With the price of fuel these days, the more we can save in running costs means more dollars in the kitty for worthwhile mods.
I have made the most logical step and am having LPG fitted next week but most of the info I have read on these mods claim to increase fuel efficiency on LPG vehicles as well.

E-Series Fairlane/LTD? forums/post746329.html#746329
Mick's Garage forums/viewtopic.php?t=65504

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:01 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: AUXR6 HP With Ducati SupA Bike!

WA, Australia

LOAD OF s**t ALL OF THEM with efi cars

i have the hiclone on my carbed 69ht 253 v8 and it sure as hell made it more torquey

the inlet temp thing is a bs if it air was colder MORE fuel is injected not less

RIP SCOTT

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: 94 Futura

NSW, Australia

I had the Tornado fan things and with a 220k motor I drove from Sydney to Brisbane on one tank with XR6Cick driving half the way.Found it to give better top end less throttle no complaints untill my new motor sucked it in and broke 7 blades off and went through my motor. No damage but not happy Jan. I could not break them off with my fingers but the motor ate them without a a miss until the plus got hit then a miss. So limp home check and test all OK.

In Henry I Trust

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:03 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

I think this topic has come up a few times before.

From memory and logic:

Any advantageous manipulation of the airflow in the intake pipe will be lost at the first bend/irregularity/obstruction to flow, like for example, your inlet manifold...

Breaking up the molecules in the fuel sounds as though it would negatively impact upon combustion...

Won't an ECU detecting "cold air" then deliver a richer fuel load - as at startup - thus decreasing fuel economy?

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 9:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: ebxr8

SA, Australia

i reckon you've got more chance of increasing fuel economy by fitting a heater element inside your fuel tank,the fuel will expand turning say 60l into 63l or so,but of course i'm only joking or am i,petrol tankers in the summer months deliver the warm fuel to the servos but when it cools the operators have less fuel than wat they'd paid for thus they get ripped off. :idea:

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

My thoughts exactly, as I said "something you don't normally read in the same sentence".
My point is I guess, I was just throwing it out there to see if anyone had tried any of these mods and the results achieved. I think we can rule out the mod chip unles of course it is horsepower you are chasing. That part seems to make sense!

Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:39 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EFII Futura

QLD, Australia

micknkell wrote:
I think we can rule out the mod chip unles of course it is horsepower you are chasing. That part seems to make sense!

If your talking about the 5cent resistor which sells on ebay for $20

I guarantee you'll notice no great difference

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:57 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: XF

WA, Australia

If these things actually worked so well, you would see manufacturers building them into cars.

If two manufacturers have similar vehicles, and one has 20% better fuel economy, which one is going to sell better?

While resistors and the like may improve performance/fuel economy under very specific circumstances they are likely to make things worse the rest of the time.

I won't comment on wrapping magnets around rubber hoses which are carrying petrol (a non-magnetic, non-polar liquid) or on sticking bits of plastic in your intake (yay air flow restrictions, also someone already mentioned the whole snapping off and being sucked into the engine thing).

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

OK Guys I get it! It's not worth the hassle. I havn't actually purchased any of these mods as I mentioned. The LPG will do me fine.
I'm really not that concerned about the cost of fuel at the moment. If I was I wouldn't have gone back to a V8! Just thought I would see if they actually work. But if prices head to $2ltr soon as predicted then we will all be looking at ways to save money.

$$$ in my pocket are better than being in the fuel company's if it can be helped!

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:55 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon X-DEF

VIC, Australia

LPG's your best option for economy at the moment - until they can make a V8 run nicely on biomass!

Try not to get fooled by quick fixes for fuel economy or performance. Make sure to tell your friends too. No one likes getting scammed by eBay rip-offs!

Good luck with your LPG conversion - hope the rebate doesn't take too long to come back. I have heard that it is quicker to claim the refund through a medicare office rather than a centrelink branch - check with your installer.

Cheers.

250ci 4-speed XD S-Pack, XE S-Pack front bar & rear bumper, 14"x7" & 14"x8" Chevoit 5-slotters, 60mm drop, Fairlane interior, Clarion CD tuner, 4" & 6"x9"s, Pioneer amp.

Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers Muzz,
I have spoken to the installer and he has been great with info. Claims through medicare are quicker as you suggested, about 4 working days he said. The great thing about this guy is that he offered to take the difference less the rebate amount as payment, and then forward him the $2000 when it came in. Wasn't necessary for me but any of you cash strapped guys out there looking to get conversion done but don't have the dollars right now, contact me and I will give you his details. Thats of course if you live in or near Newcastle.
Mick

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Thanks very good of them, have you got the install done yet?

I had my late 98 EL done with an impco system, 500-550 off km's to 68Litres gas with no servicing required after 30 thousand km's.
Place in Oakley Victoria if anyone wanted to know :)

LPG is the way for the short term, i like the idea of growing fuel :P

it can be fast and cheap,but it wont be reliable
it can be reliable and cheap,but it wont be fast
or you can be fast and reliable,but it wont be cheap

Posted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Not yet gasman. It is booked in for Monday so not long to go now.

Posted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:47 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

VIC, Australia

I put that resistor on my car (to tell the ECU its cold air or ehat ever) and after about 1-2 months it stuffed up my throttle and made it revv high (around 1100RPM) didnt make a difference to performance or economy as soon as i took it out the car became fine again

Post subject: The things we do for fuel economy.
Posted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:21 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Update. LPG is now in. Oh!!! the things we do for fuel economy! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Nice enough bloke and great job on the installation, but the engine bay now looking very busy. Not much point in trying to dress it up to much now with all the extra gear for LPG installed. He even had to drill holes in my fan shroud to cable tie the gas line to the top of it. Looks crap.

Attachments:
100_2150 (Custom).JPG
100_2150 (Custom).JPG [ 193.29 KiB | Viewed 176 times ]
100_2151 (Custom).JPG
100_2151 (Custom).JPG [ 182.93 KiB | Viewed 161 times ]
100_2159 (Custom).JPG
100_2159 (Custom).JPG [ 129.04 KiB | Viewed 170 times ]
100_2157 (Custom).JPG
100_2157 (Custom).JPG [ 128.63 KiB | Viewed 183 times ]
100_2154 (Custom).JPG
100_2154 (Custom).JPG [ 173.08 KiB | Viewed 234 times ]