Fordmods Logo

glenneaux's megasquirt thread - (Now actually in the car!) 

Page 7 of 8 [ 117 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Posted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 4:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

SA, Australia

Nice work glenneaux.

Have you tried to hook up the TFI yet?

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL Fairmont

SA, Australia

Thread mining here, but have people got this amplifer/transistor mod to split the PIP to work? I built it yesterday, and it supplied MS2 with an acceptable signal however it reduced the PIP’s strength to the EEC so the EEC didn’t spark (I’m running fuel only) I ran a 3.9Kohm resistor inline with the MS2 PIP line which fed the MS2 with an acceptable signal and still left the EEC pip signal strong enough to get spark. However once driving for a while, and I turn the car off and try and restart it, the MS2 does not get a signal (ie resistance is too much). I’m either going to go with a 5Kpot to adjust it to work, or if I can get confirmation that the Transistor mod above works I’ll try that again.

Soo many idiots. So few bullets

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:38 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

NSW, Australia

yes, the transistor mod would work, and has in my case.. I dunno for splitting signals, but if its a stronger signal you're after, then this is what you want. It supplied a good signal from a big source, by been switched by the little transistor, from the split PIP signal. Try it, and it will work.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 6:58 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

Walkinshaw wrote:
Thread mining here, but have people got this amplifer/transistor mod to split the PIP to work? I built it yesterday, and it supplied MS2 with an acceptable signal however it reduced the PIP’s strength to the EEC so the EEC didn’t spark (I’m running fuel only) I ran a 3.9Kohm resistor inline with the MS2 PIP line which fed the MS2 with an acceptable signal and still left the EEC pip signal strong enough to get spark. However once driving for a while, and I turn the car off and try and restart it, the MS2 does not get a signal (ie resistance is too much). I’m either going to go with a 5Kpot to adjust it to work, or if I can get confirmation that the Transistor mod above works I’ll try that again.

Ok lets see, I'm the one who made this mod to get my MS working. And it works ok in MY car...
Now I got a PM from 'Glennaux' saying his had carked it after working fine for some time, and hearing your probs would suggest that there are many varying resistances in the cabling of our cars.
I had a CRO when I was hooking mine up and read 0-8v PIP signal during cranking which went up to 0-11.5v when running.
In an ideal world the signal sould be 0-12v square wave so I was thinking today that instead of just having the mod tapped into the PIP to run MS, cut the PIP wire to the EEC and tap it into the PIP going to MS after the mod.
Here's what I mean...

This should supply a nice clean 12v pulse to both units, there's obviously a few nanoseconds for the transistor to switch but seeing as the PIP signal is in the milliseconds I can't see it having any significant effect on the EEC and seeing as MS is programmable there's no probs there..

I haven't given it a try yet as it only came to me today (Doh) but I'm sure that will solve the problem of the PIP signal getting loaded down. :D :D

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I just wired in a Pot resistor. Piece of piss. Works first time every time.

Cheers for your help guys

Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:32 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

Does this mod have to be done with all tfi's to get them to work?

I'm doing this to my xf so i need to know whether it will work without it or not.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:19 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Toyota Supra RZ

VIC, Australia

NFGhia wrote:
Walkinshaw wrote:

Ok lets see, I'm the one who made this mod to get my MS working. And it works ok in MY car...
Now I got a PM from 'Glennaux' saying his had carked it after working fine for some time, and hearing your probs would suggest that there are many varying resistances in the cabling of our cars.
I had a CRO when I was hooking mine up and read 0-8v PIP signal during cranking which went up to 0-11.5v when running.
In an ideal world the signal sould be 0-12v square wave so I was thinking today that instead of just having the mod tapped into the PIP to run MS, cut the PIP wire to the EEC and tap it into the PIP going to MS after the mod.
Here's what I mean...

This should supply a nice clean 12v pulse to both units, there's obviously a few nanoseconds for the transistor to switch but seeing as the PIP signal is in the milliseconds I can't see it having any significant effect on the EEC and seeing as MS is programmable there's no probs there..

I haven't given it a try yet as it only came to me today (Doh) but I'm sure that will solve the problem of the PIP signal getting loaded down. :D :D

Damnit NFGhia.. I'm glenneaux.. the author of this thread!!!

So anyway...

Since that pm i sent you i hooked up a 50K pot to me tach input to MSII and it worked for a while but then after i changed something with cabling (forgot now) it stopped working...

I might try your solution if i can work up the courage to fool with the signal from TFI to EEC-IV.

Best of luck to everyone!! Hopefully at some point we might be able to set up a definitive guide to running our fords on a megasquirt setup... Only reason i say that is alot of stuff i read it about replacing the eec with the MSII.. while it seems alot of us are trying to run the MSII alongside the EEC with mixed results..

to be honest when i hooked up that 50K pot i thought s**t everythings working fine because in high revs with foot flat to the floor the car hesitates when in limp home mode (no PIP to EEC) but then after everything went to s**t again i sorta lost hope...

With any luck this'll fix it all up...........

Thanks alot guys for your responses!

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Guess I lucked out here by buying a EF a few years back. MS2 gets TFI, EEC gets CAS, both happily live together without having to split any sensors.

Dans Pot mod(tm) is very simple and works well so far. The transistor looks good as well, possibly a more robust solution.

Stoke me a clipper, I'll be back for Christmas

Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The transistor method is far better than a Pot mod™. Using the pot (mine is set to around 3Kohm (10K pot) it will crank (fuel and spark) every time no worries, however a moveable resistor induces the chance of either the pot moving or the like. The transistor mod (I have all the parts here), if I can get it to work 110% It’s something I will end up soldering onto the Proto area of the MS2 Board.

The transistor mod looks far better as it supplies EEC with close to the original signal, and MS2 with a boosted signal, rather than my Pot modâ„¢ which provides a reduced signal to both EEC and MS2.

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Last night i hooked up the transistor to feed both the EEC and the MSII ( yes i disconnected the TFI PIP from the EEC)

Car seemed to start fine.. couldnt take it for a spin to check if its in limp home mode (1st gear, WOT, lookin for hesitation)....

BUT

my MSII had a bird up its a**.. for some reason i'd power it up, check it was counting ( on realtime display) then i'd start car and it'd stop counting and for some reason it'd read the revs etc then they'd all goto 0 then it'd keep going for a second or so then they all stop.. this kept going for about 10seconds until they finally read ok but when i revved it started again..

during this time the seconds counter stopped and when it seemed to be reading ok/continuously it started again...

maybe this year seeing as i'll be in melb i'll be able to hook up with someone in Melbourne and we can check it out?? Am getting sick of this gawd damnit!! i dont even want the MSII running the car i just want it in there reading everything fine :(

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:49 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: NF Fairlane V8

VIC, Australia

glenneaux wrote:
Last night i hooked up the transistor to feed both the EEC and the MSII ( yes i disconnected the TFI PIP from the EEC)

Car seemed to start fine.. couldnt take it for a spin to check if its in limp home mode (1st gear, WOT, lookin for hesitation)....

BUT

my MSII had a bird up its a**.. for some reason i'd power it up, check it was counting ( on realtime display) then i'd start car and it'd stop counting and for some reason it'd read the revs etc then they'd all goto 0 then it'd keep going for a second or so then they all stop.. this kept going for about 10seconds until they finally read ok but when i revved it started again..

during this time the seconds counter stopped and when it seemed to be reading ok/continuously it started again...

maybe this year seeing as i'll be in melb i'll be able to hook up with someone in Melbourne and we can check it out?? Am getting sick of this gawd damnit!! i dont even want the MSII running the car i just want it in there reading everything fine :(

Hey I had a similar problem with my one and I tracked it down to the Damn Comms cable from MS to my Lappy.. :evil:

I had a spare one lying around, pugged it in and everything came good.

Thats an easy place to start with anyway. :roll:

The TORQUE Monster project begins!

Pic's, details and all the yummy stuff:
http://www.fordmods.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22693

"There's no replacement for displacement!"

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 6:47 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

have you bumper or dropped it or something? Sounds like either your crystal isn't in the best shape on the daughter card, or there's something else wrong.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:34 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: XF Wagon

VIC, Australia

G'day

Can some one tell me if i need to do this mod for my xf or is it only if you are trying to run the ms-11 next to an eec.

Cheers

If its too loud your too old!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:08 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

only if your splitting the signal, or you wanan boost the PIP signal for the MSII, but that shouldn't be necessary.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:25 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

NFGhia wrote:
glenneaux wrote:

BUT

Hey I had a similar problem with my one and I tracked it down to the Damn Comms cable from MS to my Lappy.. :evil:

I had a spare one lying around, pugged it in and everything came good.

Thats an easy place to start with anyway. :roll:

Well... Just thought of something.. which is very annoying :(

Something i should have added was the fact that when the revs on megatune drop the tach led on the MS stop too.. so that doesn't help that ! :(

Ah well.. NFGhia.. wanna start a ford user group or some s**t.. or at least we can hook up and you can make my car work... or something.. I have a CRO here but cant work it or anything..

One thing i'm still doubting is my EEC socket -> loom plug adapter :(

So anyway, scratch the COMMs cable.. next! :oops: :oops:

Sort by  
 Page 7 of 8  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next