headunit has no power 

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: headunit has no power
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:09 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EL Futura

VIC, Australia

gday
i installed a shift kit into my el falcon and it worked fine and then i did final mounting and finished hiding the wireing and took the car for a test drive and the shiftkit and headunit wont work, have no power to them after reinstalling the ecu.
would anyone know what could cause this and what i could check?

thanks alot

Post subject: Re: headunit has no power
Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:39 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nathanwillox wrote:
gday
i installed a shift kit into my el falcon and it worked fine and then i did final mounting and finished hiding the wireing and took the car for a test drive and the shiftkit and headunit wont work, have no power to them after reinstalling the ecu.
would anyone know what could cause this and what i could check?

thanks alot

Check fuses and check your wiring. Make sure there are no lose ends. If there are tape them up so that they can't touch anything. Also did you unplug the negative terminal when you did the electrical work? if you didn't something may have shorted and killed something.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:41 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 96 EL Futura

VIC, Australia

im edging towards the last option of something killing itself, coz i forgot to take negative terminal off, which i usually do =( because the headunit was working while i was placing the ecu in and then headunit just turned off and that reminded me that i forgot to take terminal off, any ideas how i could check whats wrong?

thanks for help so far

Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:51 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

nathanwillox wrote:
im edging towards the last option of something killing itself, coz i forgot to take negative terminal off, which i usually do =( because the headunit was working while i was placing the ecu in and then headunit just turned off and that reminded me that i forgot to take terminal off, any ideas how i could check whats wrong?

thanks for help so far

Check fuses first. CRT_LP/RADIO should be 2 of the many to look for. If one or more are blown, don't replace them until you sort out your wiring...this time with the battery terminal removed.

Double or even tiple check your wiring. Make sure loose ends that are not used are insulated with electrical tape/heat shrink or just even tape. Anything to stop it from shorting for some reason, even if you think no current will run through it.

Once everything is checked and you're satisfied, replace the blown fuses and hope everything is okay.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 4 posts ]