Fordmods Logo

HELP FUEL PUMP ISSUE URGENT! 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: HELP FUEL PUMP ISSUE URGENT!
Posted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: Ford Falcon ED

TAS, Australia

Hi guys so I pulled in at the bottleshop after work, came back to my car, turned ignition on and it didn't quite sound right, I felt like a click or a whir was missing, as I turned my key I kinda already knew the problem. started choked a bit and then died, fuel pump or relay was my first thought, I opened the hood checked the relays, turned the ignition on, heard faint clicks. if you listen really closely the fuel pump sorta makes a noise. but not like its usual strong whir that it makes when you turn the ignition on, more like a very very faint tick or thud sorta sound, never heard it before.. My guess the fuel pump is dead. Tried laying the boot into the fuel tank under the car, giving it a good tap in the boot on top of the fuel pump assembly as well. nothing :( :( does this sound like a fuel pump problem or could it be something electrical? I'm back home now and fortunately have a fuel pump and relays sitting around to try, is there a way I can test this fuel pump before taking apart the fuel assembly|?

Post subject: Re: HELP FUEL PUMP ISSUE URGENT!
Posted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:40 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Have you checked your fuel filter? Sounds like the fuel filter is extremely blocked causing fuel starvation at the injectors. The back pressure from the blockage could also be putting a lot of stress on the fuel pump making it sound different. Pump is designed to pump fuel that is free flowing with the fuel regulator controlling the flow.

Pull the fuel filter out (rear passenger side) and blow into the direction of fuel flow, if you can't, it is completely blocked.

That is my guess, as I have had this issue before when I bought the EL from the auctions.

EDIT: By the way, you can test the fuel pump buy unplugging the fuel line at the fuel pump or at the pump, get another spare hose and route it into a jerry can. Time how long it takes to fill up the jerry can. Flow rate for std fuel pump, I think, is 100L/hr, so 100L/60mins = 1.7L/min. A 5L jerry can would fill up in around 3 mins

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]