Fordmods Logo

High octane fuel AND Octane Booster 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:44 pm 
Oompa Loompa

VIC, Australia

hey T6 r u i mean seriously r u for real????
dood if ur NOT getting any difference out of high octane i think its YOU that needs the check up bloke, that was one of the first things i checked when i first got my ute, and because i was doing courier work it was all the more important i found at the least an extra 10% or so which is about what u should expect.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

This is cut and pasted straight from www.nulon.com.au

Cut
Indicative RON increases:
91.5 Unleaded +PSO=96.5 (5.0 RON increase)
95 PULP +PSO=98.1 (3.1 RON increase)
98 PULP +PSO=100.1 (2.1 RON increase)
96 LRP +PSO=98.5 (2.5 RON increase)
(When used at maximum recommended treat rate.)
Paste

PSO is pro strength octane booster. The normal octane boost wont do anything to PULP.

I'm pretty sure thats what your after.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 24 images

Ride: BF MKII XR6 Turbo

SA, Australia

Yeah ive used that stuff b4, cost a s**t and didnt really make all that much difference IMO. Nitrox-Hot shot (bright Orange bottle) has prolly been the best stuff ive used so far.

They also make fuel additive for highly tuned imports etc too; get this the bottle costs over $50!!!!! same sized bottle as i the Hot shot :shock: WTF?

Image -BF MKII XR6 Turbo in EGO-

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 12:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NL V8 Fairlane

NSW, Australia

Good points, however i neglected to mention that I was referring to V8s as they do not have knock sensors. Yes, higher octane will stop pinging but really it is just hiding a problem that you shouldn't have with with normal petrol. If you're pinging, there's a tuning issue.. There is also a power boost, but buy a few bottles and you can buy an air filter or new plugs. Personal choice though, I'd rather see money invested elsewhere. 8-)

There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who know binary and those who don't.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: V8 T5 Fairmont & BA XR6T

NSW, Australia

This is crap!!! Tickford 6 your right and I know it cause Ive done the same. If your really economically minded you would go out and buy a wade cam which you will feel the difference in, not just a cause you spent 10 bucks on a bottle of somebodys piss, and thought that your car went faster. Octane boosters and extractors are a load of s**t on auto cars period unless they are worked further to realise the benifits. You really wanna feel a difference? Save your $10 each time and in 12 months fit a T5!!!

Dima, Mitch & Jay's RPD

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: BF XR6, BF XT Wagon

Power: 197 rwkw

WA, Australia

Jaysen wrote:
This is crap!!! Tickford 6 your right and I know it cause Ive done the same. If your really economically minded you would go out and buy a wade cam which you will feel the difference in, not just a cause you spent 10 bucks on a bottle of somebodys piss, and thought that your car went faster. Octane boosters and extractors are a load of s**t on auto cars period unless they are worked further to realise the benifits. You really wanna feel a difference? Save your $10 each time and in 12 months fit a T5!!!

I beg to differ. I've fitted extractors and only use Ultimate 98 on my auto I6 and I get 650ks per tank. Before that using normal fuel and standard exhaust I was only getting 500+ks and it had less power. I reckon something would be wrong with your car is you changed fuel and added extractors and got no extra power out of it. I also use a K&N filter.

In reference to octane booster you are right. Wont make any difference to power if your running PULP.

EL XR8
Timmeh banned himself from being a moderator.

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 9:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Obviously there is a lot of differant opinions out there, and you may be right about Octane Boosters
My experience is with 95ron PULP from the pump not out of a bottle. The one time I tried BP ultimate I never noticed any differance. It was recommended to me to try PULP to fix the engine miss problem because it contains detergents to clean the injectors and is a cleaner burning fuel.
The problem is gone now I don't have to run my car on PULP anymore but we found that PULP was only 2c dearer than ULP on the Nullibour and we were getting much better economy.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 1997 Falcon EL Gli/Sleeper

QLD, Australia

No way! I have to disagree with ya their. I have definately found better power gains with fitting aftermarket extractors on my EL and more again on PULP. I got the burnt rubber marks on the road to prove it! :D

" In life their is never an Obligation just an Opportunity to..Own an awesome 1970 Ford Mach 1 Mustang! "

Posted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:54 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Jaysen wrote:

My car ran fine on regular when it was standard. But ran better with octane booster, or better yet - 98RON fuel. As a few people here have reported. What's crap about this? As for extractors not being worth it... this sounds like a personal opinion, i trust you have some facts/figures/theories to support this?

Tickford 6 makes a good point - if an engine isnt tuned to PULP/98 then its not gonna be able to take advantage of ALL the benefits of the fuel... but fuels like ultimate have more benefits to them than higher octane...

Regarding the comment on not being able to advance timing enough on an EEC falcon, i'd have to disagree - pulp/ultimate is only good for an extra couple of degrees anyway, piece of piss to get this from a dizzy.

Anyways not like any of this matters for me as the car is now tuned for high octane fuel and i wouldnt risk detonation under boost anyway...

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2