Fordmods Logo

how much hp will a aftermarket computer make? 

Page 2 of 2 [ 17 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: how much hp will a aftermarket computer make?
Posted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:36 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: 97 EL XR6

Power: 162 rwkw

NSW, Australia

FAST-XR wrote:
most of your gains will be in the mid range... you wont make alot of top end, but if you have it stitting there doing nothing, you may as well install it!

on that setup i doubt you will gain more than 10rwkw at top end, but the gains will be more in the midrange where the falcon is known to run rich, especially when running a big cam with the BBM...
RAPTOR_XR8 wrote:
Well i know a bloke with an eb xr8 automatic and hes touched up the timing table and gained 9rwkw throughout the whole rpm range, thats not even touching the fuel maps...

Im guessing the 6's would be the same... conservative timing while running pig rich, i recon theres 20rwkw just from a proper tune...

even the biggest of cams on a standard ecu lean out to a decent afr of about 12.5 at top end, the mid range afrs can be in the 10-11 range, which is where most of the tuning gains will be made. most of the top end gain will be through timing and not fuel.

6 cylinders are a totally different beast to a V8, especially with their BBM intake which seems to cause midrange richness in modified cars

07 BF MKII XR6T
310rwkw @ 13psi - Tuned By CMS

Post subject: Re: how much hp will a aftermarket computer make?
Posted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

The BBM richness is in the factory tune - there is also a big dip in spark around the BBM switch point due to the lean spike from the additional air when the flapper opens. Both can be addressed with a tune, whether using the factory ECU or aftermarket, but if you add too much timing at the switch point you can get pinging (like when running a BBM on an EA-ED ECU).

As others have said, the main gains to be had are in the midrange, making the car much more lively to drive. There will be some peak power to be had but not a lot as most of the time the AFRs are in the power zone anyway.

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2