Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: Issues locating info on ECU
Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EF XR 8 Sdn, XH XR 6 faker

WA, Australia

Jason,

I have an EF XR8 and the ECU in it is a 6DKA which indicates that the ECU is an EL ECU, but I'm needing a exchange unit as mine is faulty(comes up with numerous fault codes) I'm being told it's not an off the self item, it's Tickford enhanced etc. I did check your listings and the nearest one is a 4DKF which appears to be an EF XR8 Ex pursuit, my under standing is the F indicates the revision in this one. So if that is the case does that mean the ECU that I have here is an EL XR8 Ex pursuit revision A ? if so it is in an EF and would explain why I'm having difficulty finding an exchange unit. :?

Post subject: Re: Issues locating info on ECU
Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:01 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

hey mate the 4 means a year, the T stands for tickford D is for ford, K is your gears box F is the revision so A is old and F is the newest version

so all you'll need is a (edited ill double check first)
check ebay regually they come up every now and again
so try the wreckers

what year car and gear box do you have

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:23 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: 97 TICKFORD XR6 Manaul

SA, Australia

here are some ecu catch codes that you'll be looking at but its only a rough guess till we know more about your car
what year
what tranmission
what diff ratio

4DDG - 9/94 EF XR8 Manual 3.23:
4DDE - EF 5.0L Manual - Revision E - Gli, Futura, XR8.
4DDG - EF 5.0L Manual - Revision G - Gli, Futura, XR8.
4DED - EF 5.0L Auto - Revision D - Gli, Futura, Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane, Fairlane Ghia.
4DEG - EF 5.0L Auto - Revision G - Gli, Futura, Fairmont, Fairmont Ghia, Fairlane, Fairlane Ghia.
4DKF - EF 5.0L Auto - Revision F - Police ex-pursuit

4DDE - 5.0l man ef

all of these are a standard ford ecu not a tickford version

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:29 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

I rang ford today gave them the Vin Number and according to them the ECU I have is correct for this XR8 Auto 5.0ltr Gun Metal sedan. The ECU is suppossed to be 96DA-12A650-KA being 6DKA, having said that the month and year of manufacture is April 1995.
I rang COV's they tell me genuine replacement is no longer available and the aftermarket supplier don't list this number ECU as an exchange unit.
Wonderful :roll:

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:33 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

Well then - you have nothing to loose!.

Firstly - ask around for a Ford Electronic Shop - Thompson Ford in Brisbane (Southside ford, and Metro Ford) used to have a workshop that did all the electronics, as well as one that did transmissions etc.
If you can find out where that went Im sure getting an ECU is easy - the EF and EL ECU's are reflashable (by the factory people).

Alternatively, seeing as you have one there that has code in it, you could get in touch with TIPerformance - and ask them about dumping the current bin and putting it on a J3 chip - you could then put your J3 chip in Any EEC V from an EF or EL 5.0.

I have a 96 EF XR8 Auto in the shed, but I need the ECU unless someone can get me an EL XR8 Auto ECU (the engine is moving into my EL Fairmont)

Nigel

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:06 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

autocat21 wrote:
I rang ford today gave them the Vin Number and according to them the ECU I have is correct for this XR8 Auto 5.0ltr Gun Metal sedan. The ECU is suppossed to be 96DA-12A650-KA being 6DKA, having said that the month and year of manufacture is April 1995.
I rang COV's they tell me genuine replacement is no longer available and the aftermarket supplier don't list this number ECU as an exchange unit.
Wonderful :roll:

Ford are incorrect. April 1995 can not be fitted with a 1996 EL ecu. April 1995 should be EF1 with a single driver side air bag, but it's around the cross-over date with EF2. Your XR8 would have been fitted with a 4DKx (x = B-F, most likely E) if it was an auto or 4DDx if a manual. You will always get fault codes running an EL ecu in an EF as the wiring is different around cooling fans and SSPS

Unless you have mis-read the build date, and it isn't April 95. Since you gave Ford the VIN, this is possible. Double check.

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:06 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

WA, Australia

Every time I talk to anybody about an it they tell me something different especially parts supply people.

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Lots, all Fords

New Zealand

How many fan relays are there behind the passenger headlights just in front of the airbox? 4 relays = EF1/EF2

XA Faimont 351C, AU2 XR8 Manual 5.0, DA LTD 5.0, Mk1 Capri 5.0, 1995 Mustang 5.0, EF2 XR8 Manual, EF2 Fairmont Ghia 5.0, AU3 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Auto, AU2 XR8 Manual Ute, TE Cortina 5.0 Manual, DU LTD 5.0 soon to be manual

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

QLD, Australia

I have a Late 96 XR8 (EF) and it has EF ECU, and 4 relays. Not EL

Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

Ecu will have a date stamped on the same label as catch code...if this date is later than car build date,then ecu is not the factory fitted one.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]