Fordmods Logo

Issues with EL after engine swap 

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Post subject: Issues with EL after engine swap
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 10:20 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 9 images

NSW, Australia

I am having some issues with my EL after fitting another motor into it. My car was running when the engine was removed and the engine I have just fitted was out of a running car but now when I combine the 2 I get nothing.

The body loom is the same and the loom on the engine is the loom from the other car, should that cause an issue?

So the main issues are no power from the ignition wire in the starter and my fuel and oil pressure gauges and LCD display on the cluster are all now not working.

The fuel pump is working and we haven't found buggered a fuse or a relay. I have swapped from a cop spec ecu back to the tickford dual fuel ecu and swapped in another BCM and nothing has made a difference.

We have also had the car crank by arching the starter and while doing that having the ignition key turned to 'start' to trick it but nothing. Done it again with a plug removed and found no spark but the dizzy does rotate and the plugs, leads, coil, dizzy cap and rotor button are all brand new.

I have even gone back over the engine bay and any spot where an earth is has been cleaned and taken back to bare metal on every surface just to make sure there isnt an earth problem.

So does anyone have any ideas of where to look or what to replace before I start spending a small fortune to replace parts

Post subject: Re: Issues with EL after engine swap
Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Double check all plugs and other connections that were disconnected when you pulled the motor out.

A couple of things to check:
Starter motor engage wire. (pink I think)
Main engine loom plug (the one at the back of the motor with the 10mm bolt holding it together)
Gearbox wiring

If it came from another EL, there shouldn't be a problem with the swap.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:19 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

All the plugs are good and all clean and connected. The starter motor engage wire doesnt seem to have power at all but dont know why

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Is the neutral safety switch working properly?

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:36 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Yep. even went and got another switch to be certain. When I swap the neutral switch I checked the linkage just incase it was causing the box to be in gear but it was fine. I did think maybe the battery was lacking power but even after its been charged the car does the same thing and hooking jumper leads up to our fourby while its runing doesnt help

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

head_ache wrote:
The fuel pump is working and we haven't found buggered a fuse or a relay. I have swapped from a cop spec ecu back to the tickford dual fuel ecu and swapped in another BCM and nothing has made a difference.

turn the key to the reds and leave for 1 hour and then see how you go

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Do the BCM's need to be retrained after they have been out of the car for a while? The BCM that is in there currently is the original one which I replaced last year chasing an issue which turned out not to be the BCM

Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:30 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

I am still having this issue and havent been able to work it out. the interior lights, cd player, fuel gauge and the LCD display of the cluster dont work. The back lights of the cluster turn on when the head lights are turned on and the head lights, tail lights, brake lights, reverse lights and indicators all function normally.

The CB radio in the car can also be turned on even though it takes its ACC power from the ACC power for the cd player. I have retrained the bcm's and I have still had nothing from the car

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Engine earth strap behind the alternator?
So long as the new engines loom was not damaged, the only place problems could be are in the things that have to be removed to swap the engine.
Retrace your steps as much as possible and hopefully you'll find something simple that you've overlooked.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:42 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Been over all the connection a dozen times since October and nothing has been unplugged. Even had a retired mechanic look at the car and he cant work it out either and feels its a problem for an auto electrician but due to the location I have to pay for someone to come out to look at the car which will cost a min of $160 before the auto elec even sites the car and the $80 for every hour or part there of he works on the car so if its a hard to find issue the cost quickly adds up to more then the cost of another car

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:52 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Still got the other loom?
Swap it on to the new motor.

- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

the engine by loom is the one that was on the car. The wiring from the engine to the gearbox is the wiring that came with the replacement engine which I witnessed running the day I got the motor. The old loom from the engine to the gearbox had been hacked up at some point and had a few wires not connected at all but I cant put that loom back in as I removed some of the longer single bits of the loom so I could extend the 3 wires I assume are for the electronics side of the lpg system that isnt connected.

I had tried to find out if the 3 wires I extended were needed due to the lpg not being there but I was unable to find or get an answer so I extended and hid them just incase the car still needs those wires for what ever reason.

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:04 pm 
Stock as a Rock

NSW, Australia

Today I tried something an auto elec told me. I joined the 2 red with blue trace wires that go to the BCM which is meant to bypass the starting curcuit on the BCM. Now I had never heard of this but when it tried to start it I now have a faint click come from the engine bay every time I hit the starter buttons.

Everything else remains the same but now I cant work out what to try next. Any Help?

Posted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: XG

VIC, Australia

hey mate did you get it working, and have you looked at the interior light fuse, mine ef didnt want to start cause it blow.

just a thought!

cheers.

XG Ute - 3 Seater - Auto - Dual Fuel

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 14 posts ]