Fordmods Logo

j3 chip customizing 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: j3 chip customizing
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

hi

with the j3 chips is it possible to load a ed or el xr6 tune on it and make it into a xr6 duel fuel tune so when its on petrol it runs the normal xr6 tune and/or mods with the gas spark map turned off and when its on lpg it runs the xr6 tune and/or mods still but turns on the lpg spark maps

as in petrol uses the normal xr6 tune and when its on lpg it still runs the normal xr6 tune but also turns on the lpg spark

is it possible to add thermo fan settings to the above tune into a ed ecu and pins 33 and 53 work

and is it possible to add the bbm switching in a ed tune

and when the el tune is loaded on a ed ecu does the direction of the power and economy switch get reversed around

with a el tune loaded onto a j3 chip in a ed ecu does the trip computer get affected

and if you make the above tune is it possible to add more mods later

Post subject: Re: j3 chip
Posted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They normally don't write tunes for the EEC-IV because of the lack of memory space... So I'm told...

What they do is load an ED tune onto a EL computer...

The ED computer does not possess the hardware to control the thermofans or BBM solenoid... There just isn't the transistors in there for it...

No idea about the power econ switch... First I've ever heard of it... As far as I'm aware the EL computer runs fine in an ED... Only thing that needs doing is the recirc solenoid needs disconnecting from the EEC as on an ED the pin in question triggers recirc override (no idea why they added feature?) and on EL the pin controls something to do with LPG... So it just gets disconnected and taped up...

Running an EL computer will screw up your trip computer... It needs to have the data line pulled from the computer and then that wire spliced into the injector bank 1 pulse... They makes the trip computer reasonably accurate... Though they're generally so far out I went back to a clock anyway (in saying that I do have data up on my NL cluster always)...

Dual tunes is easy... They set tune 1 and then set tune 2 and you buy the extra tune selector switch and change between tunes... There would probably be a way to make this work by changing from petrol to fuel simultaneously, but may require some in depth electronics depending on how the tune selector functions...

easiest thing... if you want an EL XR tune with LPG... Find an EL XR LPG computer... Install it and the BBM and make the above ECU connection adjustments and you'll be set without needing a J3 at all?

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:34 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

if you had a ed computer and put a ed xr6 tune on a j3 chip and program it to restore the power on lpg back to what it would be on petrol and still keep the same power on petrol

if you have a el ecu with a ed tune on a j3 chip will the el computer work like a ed computer and power economy switch and everything be like a ed and will you still have thermo fan control with a el ecu with a ed tune loaded

if you have a el ecu with a el tune on a j3 chip but with the bbm taken out will the el computer work like a ed computer and power economy switch and everything be like a ed

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:47 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

you're thinking about this all wrong...

The EL computer is an EL computer... The hardware in it makes it that way... The I/O are not configurable or customisable in anyway (not without someone spending thousands more hours going through words of hex anyway)...

Our limited system for the Aussie EEC-V computer allows us to change some software parameters... The Thermofan output on an EL computer is always a thermofan output... It can't be turned off nor changed... Same with BBM...

An ED computer cannot have these features... Simply because it's an ED computer... Whether it has an EL tune or what...

You are assuming you can turn an ED computer into an EL computer and vice versa... It's impossible... All they are changing is the ED maps to EL maps...

Power on petrol and power on LPG are two very different things as said by the maps and fuel itself... LPG burns hotter, giving more bang for buck, but normally causes massive air restriction in the intake... I'm not LPG nut, but there is some really involved and expensive system to overcome this...

Still don't know why you're on about the power economy switch? Where have you heard this... I have never ever seen it come up before...

When you say take the BBM out, all they do it load ED maps onto the EL computer, because other than some minor refinement and timinig differences, all that changed engine wise between ED and EL was the BBM and computer maps were changed to reflect this... The BBM output works regardless because it's and EL computer...

If you're chasing loads of power, either throw the gas away or throw the petrol away and pull in a big cam and a J3 and drive to dyno and have it custom tuned to work... No std or XR tune is going to make any noticeable difference on your ED... XR cars had a few extra kw made up in head, cam, fuel reg and computer... Just running an XR tune will not make one iota of difference... Not for the price of a custom tuned J3 you've requested by mail order (ie not dyno custom tuned)... Simply not worth the hassle...

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:33 am 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

what does the j3 chip do just allow to program a cam in

when you say load el maps on a ed computer what does it give you

if you put a el computer in a ed and load the ed maps on what happens

if you put a el lpg computer in a ed and load the ed maps on what happens does the maps still get changed as in when switching to gas does pin 32 still do what it wouldve done without the j3 chip

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 am 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

The J3 chips allows you to configure the built in maps of the computer to whatever you like... So yes, anything from std to a massively wild cam... Only limitation of it is when you start needing more fuel it struggles and there is limitations with boost to the factory MAP sensor... But I think I saw that with round figures the std computer will do 200rwkw without too much drama...

You wouldn't load EL maps on an ED computer... You'd just run an EL computer... It is a superior computer and already has what you want on it for a fraction of the price tag...

If you load ED maps onto an EL computer you've just changed the EL computer so it suitable to run in an ED sedan...

The pins will do whatever they're assigned regardless... J3 or no J3... As for the LPG... I'm not sure... TI Performance were sponsers on here (found on the home page) if not find their website and email them... They may not even have a std LPG tune... Best to enquire...

Cheers,
Tim

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

so when loading el tunes on a j3 chip for ed computers does it allow the maps to change for the bbm if you use a rpm switch to change the runners

will a el tune on a j3 chip with a ed computer work with log manifold

Posted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yes because they change the EL maps to ED maps... so you are not achieving anything... you have ED maps on a J3 in an ED computer... Can you see why they don't use an ED computer yet?

You would not do your first point... Why go to all that trouble when you could just run an EL computer which has EL maps and a built in BBM changeover transistor?

You're questions are making less and less sense... You're running std EL maps on an ED computer and then adding in an RPM switch? It's just a massive waste of money...

With a J3 you WILL NOT run an ED computer... it's waste of time and defeats the purpose of putting a J3 in it at all...

Surely you can see the logic behind this all...

Posted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:47 pm 
Parts Gopher

QLD, Australia

This is very confusing. I have an ED 4.0 5 speed and want to install a J3 chip later on when I put the cam and TO4B in it and run 7psi. Are you implying it best I install an EL ecu and block of this and that as I do not want to stuff around or use thermos or bbm. I wat a true plug'n'play J3 like when I bought a Powerchip Gold 98.

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:14 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 18 images

Ride: 1997 EL XR6

Power: 180 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Just post a message to Jason on the topic in "Tunning your car with T.I. Performance". Or Send him a PM, that way you can find out for sure.....

MGW Short Throw Shifter, CVE Cam, CVE Head, SS Big Mouth Air Intake, Pacemaker Headers, 3" Exhaust, 3" Varex, 3" Cat, 19" Silver Agents, EMS Stinger 4424, 42lb Injectors and Walbro 255lb Fuel Pump

Next: Pacemaker Comps, 6 Individual Throttle Bodies, ICE Coil and ignition

Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:04 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Dont Worry about the OP he is no longer active on the forum.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]