Fordmods Logo

LPG maintenence 

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG maintenence
Posted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Hey,

Im just wondering out of curiosity is there an sort of maintenence that needs to be done on an lpg system e.g clean the converter out or something??

i got no probs atm but dont want to have any in the future

Cheers

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Whats wrong ppl whenever i post something i never get a f**k reply??

any1??

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 8:59 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

har har, unloved.

Post subject: Re: LPG maintenence
Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:38 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: PX2 Ranger 4x4 XLT Dual CAB

VIC, Australia

Blazing EF wrote:
Hey,

Im just wondering out of curiosity is there an sort of maintenence that needs to be done on an lpg system e.g clean the converter out or something??

i got no probs atm but dont want to have any in the future

Cheers

I was talking to a guy the other day, who claims butane fouls up the inside of the convertor, and this need to be regularly clean out.
Don't know how you go about doing this though sorry. Need to look into it more.

She's meanness put to music and the b**ch is born to run!
Like the sign says, "speed's just a question of money. How fast can you go?"

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Maintaining an LPG system is really no different than maintaing a petrol system. A few small things tho:

You need to change the plugs more often, say twice a year instead of once.

You need to make sure your ignition system is in top condition. On the EF this includes maybe replacing the coils if you have just converted.

If you run mainly LPG, use a gas oil, as the additives/contents in the oil are different. ( I think the Sulpher content is higher) LPG has a reputation of pitting main bearings and crankshafts, thus you need to change the oil more often, at LEAST every 10,000 k's, if not sooner. I change mine every 3 months without fail. I use the school holidays as a reminder.

AS Madmax said, it has been known for converters to foul inside due to the crud that is put into LPG. Depending on the type of converter you have, repair can be easy (cheap) or hard (expensive) e.g.: the Aussie B2 costs maybe $70 for the repair kit, whereas a Vialle costs maybe $300+.

Change you plugs to a colder heat range, about one step. I assume you have an EF? try Autolite 954's, from www. noelsautoparts.com.au.

Other than that, you start to get into engine mods to improve the lost performance. Then, how much money you've got = how fast you wann go :D

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

creeture3 wrote:
Maintaining an LPG system is really no different than maintaing a petrol system. A few small things tho:

You need to change the plugs more often, say twice a year instead of once.

You need to make sure your ignition system is in top condition. On the EF this includes maybe replacing the coils if you have just converted.

If you run mainly LPG, use a gas oil, as the additives/contents in the oil are different. ( I think the Sulpher content is higher) LPG has a reputation of pitting main bearings and crankshafts, thus you need to change the oil more often, at LEAST every 10,000 k's, if not sooner. I change mine every 3 months without fail. I use the school holidays as a reminder.

AS Madmax said, it has been known for converters to foul inside due to the crud that is put into LPG. Depending on the type of converter you have, repair can be easy (cheap) or hard (expensive) e.g.: the Aussie B2 costs maybe $70 for the repair kit, whereas a Vialle costs maybe $300+.

Change you plugs to a colder heat range, about one step. I assume you have an EF? try Autolite 954's, from www. noelsautoparts.com.au.

Other than that, you start to get into engine mods to improve the lost performance. Then, how much money you've got = how fast you wann go :D

No probs, Ive got a stage 5 motor so i change the oil every 5000kms anyway, got xr6 turbo plugs in there which are AWESOME by the way, basically yeah just wanted to know about the converter maintenece really but that helped thanks mate

Posted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:22 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: Ef XR6, Ef Gli, Ninga ZX9R@!

NSW, Australia

Well atleast you got some sort of reply on a gas topic. Everyone seems scared to answer my questions about it!

Blast from the past.....
1973 HQ 253 Premier sedan, 1991 EA 3.9lt 30 anniversary sedan
1978 XC 250 Falcon 500 sedan, 1988 EA 3.9lt Fairmont sedan
1994 EF 4lt Gli Wagon 1995 EF 4lt XR6 sedan (now gas~!)
1996 Ef Gli sedan, 1988 GPX 250r, 1999 ZX9R Ninja

Post subject: LPG
Posted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

LPG maintence varyies between what bran coverter is used as some hold there tune longer. Mostly between 10,000-15,000 a gas tune must be done.

Wanted Either Capri/Cortina/XY/XW/XR/XT with tough V8 stroker engine, auto, 9inch, upgraded brakes etc[/SIZE][/size][/color]

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 8 posts ]