Fordmods Logo

LPG Underbonnet kits 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: LPG Underbonnet kits
Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

Getting my LPG system redo end of this month, looking to go with GRA this time. Now my lines and tank are still good, so all I should need is an underbonnet kit right?
But my question is, what about that funny controller box thingo underneath the dash on the drivers side (I assume since it's not under the bonnet it's not included, but do I want to upgrade/update that aswell?)?

What exactly is included in the kits, the converter and mixer and?
When I rang GRA up a while ago they said $1,400.00 for the kit.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:33 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

have u looked at LPG injection?

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

xpression wrote:
have u looked at LPG injection?

yep, looking at the old carby set up as I'm hoping to bolt on a Snort Kit next. But need to get the fuel system sorted out first - not after big power and using a carby style fuel system will simplyfy things for me! :-)

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 7:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

What's wrong with your current system ??

Thought about getting hold of an EF Tickford LPG ECU ??
If you look at the doco, there are some good gains to be had over the petrol spark map.
I've got 2 EL units that I'm going to run on both my cars - your existing LPG setup will work fine and handle everything, all you need to do to switch over the spark maps is run a wire to ECU pin 92 to the fuel changeover switch.
You could remove the relays for disabling the injectors, and have the Ticky ECU handle that and the lockoffs as well, but I'd think just the spark map select wire is the easiest.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:44 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

problem with the existing system is that half the electrics are shagged, the switch inside has a dodgy by pass soldered on, the thingo regulator what ever in the line from mixer to converter is non functioning, and most of the wires have been hacked at a few times now. And on top of that the converter is too small for this size engine!

As for the Ticky LPG ECU, yeah I've thought about it, but not easy to find! I currently have a Tickford ECU aswell, but it's out of an XR6, I dunno which would be better?

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: EFII Ghia 5Ltr

VIC, Australia

I had all my underbonnet stuff replaced recently, going for an Impco 225 mixer and all new converter etc... cost me about $1200, so $1400 for GRA isn't too bad. As you summised earlier, an underbonnet kit only includes those parts under the bonnet!! (der!) Though I'm sure you can get the interior switch replaced at minimal cost at the same time. Cost will depend on how bad the dodgy wiring is I suppose.

Have YOU driven a monster truck lately??

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

But what I am trying to see is what electronics come in the kit. My set up seems to have two electronic boxes (plus the switch in the dash) - one under the dash and one in the engine bay. But I guess different systems and different brands may use different electronic set ups - e.g. some may only use one, or I dunno. I don't know if there is a standard when it comes to the electronic side, so I'm wondering weather I replace these aswell seperately or if I keep using them or if there fine, and if the GRA will run off these and what not?

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:03 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

with my LPG setup, there was the electronic controller for the LPG, then there was a switch and an extra box connected to the switch, i beleive the 'extra' box is to interpret the signal for the tank guage or similar.
the only box that was replaced when mine was done was the one in the engine bay, all my old switchs and wiring was used.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

excelent, cheers EFFalcon, that's good for me. the box in the engine bay probably should be replaced as the cover and that is a bit loose on it. but that one the one under the dash are left over from my cars original lpg set up and the mechanic said it originally had a really good set up but somewere along the line the converter must of broken and someone decided to replace it with a povo unit!
i'll just get a new switch seperately. excellent.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]