Maf & injector calibrations with standard ECU, is it rig 

Page 2 of 2 [ 23 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: BA mkII XR8

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Yeah thats true, but the factory settings are extremely safe so there is plenty of room to move there. Ideally you want to custom tune the EEC with any mod you do but it is a complex process to get everything right.

I am currently discussing the options with Mike Glover @ tweecer, and there is a possibility there is a replacement ecu that works thru factory wiring ,but can be set to all sensor actual values not "within tollerances" this is critical to have on engines with a higher state of tune. So I will keep you guys posted on the answer. "that is if you 's are interested?"

IF YOU HAVE IT UNDER CONTROL
YOU SIMPLY DON'T HAVE ENOUGH POWER!!!
Detroit 8V71 for sale, taking offers

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 320kw BA XR8

SA, Australia

Thats going to be hard to do without working out the exact transfer functions for each sensor on the engine. For example MAFs come from the Ford factory with around 5% margin for error and apparently they are the most accurate around. Same goes for most other sensors.

The whole idea of the Tweecer is to tune the engine to your actual combination and modifications, I don't know what he means by a replacement EEC unless he means get a supported EEC like the US A9L, but as I said even then you have tons of areas for errors. I have been working with my tweecer for 2 days now just to get the idle correct and its still far from perfect, but thats with an aweful lot of mods. For the average user, you only need to slightly tune the EEC (fuel and timing maps only really) to get very good results.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
Thats going to be hard to do without working out the exact transfer functions for each sensor on the engine. For example MAFs come from the Ford factory with around 5% margin for error and apparently they are the most accurate around. Same goes for most other sensors.

The whole idea of the Tweecer is to tune the engine to your actual combination and modifications, I don't know what he means by a replacement EEC unless he means get a supported EEC like the US A9L, but as I said even then you have tons of areas for errors. I have been working with my tweecer for 2 days now just to get the idle correct and its still far from perfect, but thats with an aweful lot of mods. For the average user, you only need to slightly tune the EEC (fuel and timing maps only really) to get very good results.

I believe he is talking 'bout the US version, and yep going thru every sensor ,working out the values and starting with that, then tuning the ecu to the fuel/spark requirements of the engine, not just being close as the 5% tollerance is handy when sensors become worn/dirty ,but starting with the correct values will allow the tollerances to be utilised, as if you start at the limmit of the toll's the error margin cannot be used in a day to day use when required, does that make sense?

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

IMO way too much work hehe, although if you managed to do it you would obviously have the best tune for power and economy. Tweecer still does not allow you to adjust every sensor, only the major ones. Also you will find that sensor outputs will vary for different temps and conditions etc. The easiest way to tune a tweecer properly is to load all the generally accepted default curves/values for your mods and then either play around with a few major maps (mainly timing and fuel base maps, MAF curve if needed and injector slopes) until it feels right on the road or on the dyno. There is also software out there, EEC Analyzer, which you load your datalogging data (if you have the tweecer RT) into and it works out all the changes you need to make. Unfortunatly even though my EEC is pretty well supported and I have the tweecer RT, no aussie EEC can datalog yet. Hopefully that will change soon as I could really do with it at the moment. I am going to hook up an external datalogger tomorrow to help with the rest of the tuning, not as good as the RT datalogging but hopefully it helps.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
IMO way too much work hehe, although if you managed to do it you would obviously have the best tune for power and economy. Tweecer still does not allow you to adjust every sensor, only the major ones. Also you will find that sensor outputs will vary for different temps and conditions etc. The easiest way to tune a tweecer properly is to load all the generally accepted default curves/values for your mods and then either play around with a few major maps (mainly timing and fuel base maps, MAF curve if needed and injector slopes) until it feels right on the road or on the dyno. There is also software out there, EEC Analyzer, which you load your datalogging data (if you have the tweecer RT) into and it works out all the changes you need to make. Unfortunatly even though my EEC is pretty well supported and I have the tweecer RT, no aussie EEC can datalog yet. Hopefully that will change soon as I could really do with it at the moment. I am going to hook up an external datalogger tomorrow to help with the rest of the tuning, not as good as the RT datalogging but hopefully it helps.

Good luck! that BA XR8 is looking closer for me.

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

kenny wrote:

HAHA yeah I have thought the same a number of times but I don't mind messing around with some things, and in the end it will still be cheaper and quicker than a BA :lol:

Posted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
kenny wrote:

HAHA yeah I have thought the same a number of times but I don't mind messing around with some things, and in the end it will still be cheaper and quicker than a BA :lol:

But will it be cheaper & quicker than a 416cui clevo/svo powered XE with 416hp at the treads, with only $16,000 invested mmmmmmmmm carby tuning LOL easy(er)

Posted: Fri May 20, 2005 3:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

still had it on my email replies, Pete
:kenny