Fordmods Logo

Manual car with Auto ECU please Help 

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Post subject: Manual car with Auto ECU please Help
Posted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 12:52 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford XG XH Utes XB GT

QLD, Australia

Hi I have read through all of the posts on manual conversions and just need to know what inputs to the computer need to have resistors put between them .

I think from what I have read that
Input term 30: transmission position SW gets a 6.8k resistor between it and term 46: Sensor Earth
and
Input term 42: A/T Oil Temp sensor gets a 1.2K resistor between it and term 46: sensor Earth.

Is that all thats required?

I have a manual XH with water damaged ECU (so the fault codes keep saying) and can't get a manual one. This seems like an easy way to go.

Post subject: Re: Manual car with Auto ECU please Help
Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:51 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: FG XR6 TURBO

NSW, Australia

hi dude the xh ute has the same ecu as an el thicker pins as the ef has the needle type and more pins i have a xh manual ecu in the shed doing nothing was going to sell on ebay was going to put $100 on it

BANNED

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:01 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

kingsrat wrote:
Hi I have read through all of the posts on manual conversions and just need to know what inputs to the computer need to have resistors put between them .

I think from what I have read that
Input term 30: transmission position SW gets a 6.8k resistor between it and term 46: Sensor Earth
and
Input term 42: A/T Oil Temp sensor gets a 1.2K resistor between it and term 46: sensor Earth.

Is that all thats required?

yes that it correct...

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:46 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah puting all the resistors in would help in the conversion alot of stuffing around thou, there are chips u can plug in with the manual program all it is is a plug in that over rides the auto program a friend has this in his ef gli manual car started out as a auto ..works ok and u can also fiddle with the program ie fuel ,spark timming ect ...a j3 chip or the more expencive chip tougue one. i still have the ecu in the shed from a xh manual ute ..i was going to use when i converted my ef to manual but found out that ef s.have a different ecu than a el as one is destrib and the other is coilpak bummer had to order a new one from ford $700 will be listing it soon on ebay have to get rid of some of the parts in the shed so yeah though this info would help.....

BANNED

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:43 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Thanks for the help, Where do you get the plug in conversion chip? I also have an EL motor complete with an auto computer so could use it if I change to that.

Thanks Again
Shane

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:57 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

Nothing to see here.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Last edited by thomas505 on Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:51 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: NA Fairlane

VIC, Australia

yep, in your very own thread

Posted: Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:41 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

woah, sorry - hit reply on the wrong thread. Never mind.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:47 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yeah sorry mate benn a bit busy doing a au manual conversion ..any way yea if your having troubles getting a good manual ecu and only have the auto one there are ways to change it to a manual programe ie a j3 chip or a chiptorque one the j3 are pretty cheap round 200 but the chiptorque ones are pretty pricy mine cost me $700 with a basic upgrated exhaust tune havnt used a j3 so dont know if there any good there are however a few guys on here who know the dudes who could provide a chip with a manual tune just have to use the search ..any way hope this info helps

BANNED

Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:30 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: AUII XR6 Uterus

NSW, Australia

using resistors cost around 45cents & takes about 15 minutes to achieve the same outcome on a standard car..... the only reason you would get a J3 or chiptorque would be if you had mods that extend furthur than the 'zorst n filter' crowd.

i think after swapping boxes mechanically, a small wiring harness mod is nothing. towing it somwhere to get chipped is expensive, time consuming and yields similar results.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution.

Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:58 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

had a look on another thread there is a complete instruction guide even a retard can read easy steps in volving how to do a manual conversion including clutch pedal setup and how to convert the wire loom to the gearbox from auto to manual a few restistors, had a good look at it and its spot on make sure that the nuetral switch is working on the gear box ,,other wise u can set up a clutch pedal switch to by pass it ...

BANNED

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:31 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

Hi thanks Shane,
I looked for everything I could find before I asked the questions. I have found the instruction you mentioned and it was useful.

My car is a factory manual, I am not doing a conversion, so the wiring plug mentioned doesn't exist on my car. Thats why I want to make the changes at the ECU end.

My manual ECU is stuffed and I can get an auto one a lot easier. Thanks for the offer to buy your manual one, I have bought a whole EL engine with the BBM and another Auto ECU to suit that so was after a fix for now with my XH engine and for when I get my a** in gear and put in the better engine.

I knew from reading that the resistors were only to trick the AUTO ECU into thinking it is in neutral
by putting this one in
and
to stop the fans running constantly
My only other query was about the idle speed but I have read up on adjusting that shorting the pins on the diag connector, waiting two minutes, pulling the plug on the ISC and adjusting it.

Thanks to all for your assistance and I will no doubt be asking for more when I start tracing all the extra vacuum lines on the EL engine.

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:35 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

yep not a prob i have done a el engine into a ef all the vac lines a very simular the only different stuff is the dissy and the crank pully some of the el dont have a crank sensor.the good thing about the el motors is the head gaskets are much better than the efs....

BANNED

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 13 posts ]