Fordmods Logo

megasquirt questions..? 

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: megasquirt questions..?
Posted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 03 BA XR6

VIC, Australia

just some newbie questions regarding the megasquirt setups...

1. how exactly are they installed when you have all the bits and pieces together, as in... do you need all new sensors etc, can you use existing wiring to and from your factory ecu etc.

2. regarding tuning, for someone who knows sweet f.a. about tuning tables etc etc, whats the best way about getting it tuned if one were to install/have it installed by someone

3. do all of the megasquirt modules come in pieces to be assembled, or partially built, or can you buy them all prebuilt and ready to put in

4. if i do get one, is there anyone here in adelaide who can help me out if i f**k up

5. what are your recommendations as to which version to get

2003 BA Ford Falcon XR6 | BF Typhoon Intake + K&N Filter | Lukey 2.5" catback zorst | More mods coming soon....

Post subject: Re: megasquirt questions..?
Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:47 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

x3ros wrote:
1. how exactly are they installed when you have all the bits and pieces together, as in... do you need all new sensors etc, can you use existing wiring to and from your factory ecu etc.

I think the consensus was that the stock ford sensors could be used with MS. You'll have to look at how to split signals like coolant temp and air temp so that EEC and MS can both use them (EEC needs it to run the dashboard). There is SO MUCH information on the megasquirt site and the MS forums. MS has an onboard MAP sensor.

Quote:
2. regarding tuning, for someone who knows sweet f.a. about tuning tables etc etc, whats the best way about getting it tuned if one were to install/have it installed by someone

MS software will calculate a rough tune for you. You'll need to adjust the cranking and idle settings as a start. It's all documented in the megasquirt site tho. The tuning software is pretty cool. You could have a tuning workshop do it for you but im not sure how familiar they would be with the MS tuning software.

Quote:
3. do all of the megasquirt modules come in pieces to be assembled, or partially built, or can you buy them all prebuilt and ready to put in

Most kits come as a partial kit. You get the CPU, MAP sensor, circuit board and a couple of other things. You need to source all the other components... you can get pre built ones from some sites and on ebay... but be warned you may need to modify the hardware depending on what MS configuration you run.

Quote:
4. if i do get one, is there anyone here in adelaide who can help me out if i f**k up

Lol, we can try!

Quote:
5. what are your recommendations as to which version to get

Megasquirt n spark extra seems to be the go. Or megasquirt II.

Best bet is to hit the MS site. Read anything and everything you can get your hands on. Sign up to the MS forums and read read read.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:18 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

agreed with the above. Just thought id emphasize the last point on reading... there is so much information on that site.
But to reanswer
The stock sensors can be used, by either changing the resistor values on the input circuitry, or using Easytherm, or if you have MSII it can be done through MegaTune.

2. As above, there is a couple of shops that are actually farmiliar with megasquirts. There was a thread on here or on MSEFI. Only problem is it was for sydney, silverwater, and castle hill IIRC. But Im sure there are similar places in Adelaide.

3.You can buy the pieces and put it together, or you can get the assembled kit. I would definately recommend putting it together then. you learn so much, and its not hard. Very easy to follow instructions, and when something breaks you know what might be wrong.

4. n/a (in sydney)

5. This all is dependant on what you are after, and if you are after complete MS take over EEC, or just running them parallel.. The MSnS-E has alot of features, and seems (as above) to eb the go. But if your just after the newer technology where you would like to be able to upgrade with the progress of developments, I would go with the MSII. There are great things ahead for the MSII.

All the megasquirt information might be overwhelming, but never the less, very understandable.

And my last bit of advice - Just get one.

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 3 posts ]