Megasquirts 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:51 pm 
Site Admin

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: AUII V8 LTD

Power: 270 rwkw

NSW, Australia

They can only use the inbuilt MAP for load calculations, correct?

I should go and update my knowledge a bit :) I might have to take you up on the offer on soldering one up. I'll shoot you a PM about it later :D

WAG363: AUII LTD Supercharged 363 Dart Stroker [Supercharged 363 LTD Build]
WAGGIN: 2012 Volkswagen Passat Wagon - V6 4Motion.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 3:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

[self-deleted]

Last edited by blackjack_original on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:19 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

blackjack_original wrote:
Yes, i might be interested in the group buy thing. I say might though. I'm still sussing it out, to tell you the truth, i've been reading about megasquirt since almost 2 years ago if not more, but i am having alot of trouble understanding half the s**t. I expect to learn alot, when i actually assemble it, and install it. Also, i dunno if i am or if i ain't, but i'm thinking of hanging out for MS 2, for the spark thing.

You learn a lot more a hell of a lot quicker by actually building one and tuning it.

Also, MS II is an add-on card with a more powerful processor. the upgrade will cost about US$20 to go from MS to MSII and it plugs directly into the existing processor socket.

The only thing you have to worry about is that MS won't control stepper motor, but MSII will.

Saying that, my TR7 V8 (which is for sale) has no extra air devices on it what so ever and that runs fine on a cold morning.... little chuggy for the first 500m or so, and the idle is a little more rough till it warms up, but it's not too bad.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

SA, Australia

Spork wrote:
The problem with the Jaycar thing is that it only adjusts analoge voltage signals. Where our Map sensors use a digital frequency signal. -So no dice with that unit I'm afraid.

R u sure. I am pretty sure the MAP on the 6 and the MAF on the V8 are 0-5V signals. I am not 100% sure but I am close.

I am more sure that the MAP is a Motorolla absolute pressure transmitter potentiometer.

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
All you need to do is solder the wires coming out of the ECU into the plug the same as they're going INTO MS. That way if you want to go back to teh EEC V, you just unplug MS and plug the two DB37s together and voila! your original wiring is back to normal and fully functional.

That's exactly what I had in mind! I was thinking I could even hook up one of those serial switchbox things so I could just flick one switch and switch to run from stock EECV to MS :)

I've just signed up to the aussie MS sub forum so I'll see what I can find out

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:54 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Falcon

NSW, Australia

I have also been interested in teh megasquirt for a while.. and if there's gonna be a group buy, I should be in.

Not meaning to hijacking the thread, but have you read about the Simulator, and will you be getting one? Are they really as useful as people make them out to be?

Also, unclewoja you said to solder on a DB37 plug... what about all the accessories and the transmission that relies on the ECU?? don't you need the original EEC there?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Cheap, fast and reliable.. choose 2.

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

I just checked, the MAF is 0-5V. The MAP is freq so if you have a V8 the jaycar thing is useful. If you have a 6, then buy an 8. :lol:

Adrian
EF Fairmont, 5.0Lt, Pacemaker Headers, Sports cats, Redback muff, T5 manual, 16" Tickford rims, Tickford "Body Styling", DBA Gold Rotors, Heritage Green, JVC MP3
XB Coupe, 351C, twin system, C4 shift kitted auto, 9" LSD, Eccose Blue, very loud !!!!

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Bah, why would I want to go slower :P

Unfortunate they don't work on the 6s, it would have been a cheap fun toy to play with.

justfordima, I assume you'd only be patched into the relevant wires going to/from the EECV. You're not cutting and patching all of them.

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:06 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

yeah, thats what I was assuming.. but the way he worded it sounded like he meant that you do that to the whole loom.. which got me think on how you would fit so many wires onto a DB37...

So, which parts exactly are you buying for the megasquirt Hyena?

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:07 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Hyena wrote:
Bah, why would I want to go slower :P

Them there are fighting words. :lol:

Adrian

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

Another thing I have thought about, I dont think the original MS could inject sequentially, only bank fire. The Ultra might.

That wont bother you people with the 2 missing cylinders but it bothers me :wink:

Adrian

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:11 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

raiki wrote:
Another thing I have thought about, I dont think the original MS could inject sequentially, only bank fire. The Ultra might.

That wont bother you people with the 2 missing cylinders but it bothers me :wink:

firstly it could do sequential.. I read it.. it had three types of injection..

secondly, you gained the 2 cylinders and the weight that goes with them... not we lost... :P

Cheers

;++JustForDimSim++;

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

raiki wrote:
I just checked, the MAF is 0-5V. The MAP is freq so if you have a V8 the jaycar thing is useful. If you have a 6, then buy an 8. :lol:

Same goes for pretty much all interceptor units, I believe the Apexi one is popular amoungst ricers (as most ricers have facotry MAFs with MAP only for measuring boost... until they get into MAFless tunes).

*ignores Hyena's constant badgering of the 8* lol

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

SA, Australia

The original MS cannot do Sequential. That may not be a problem, read below taken from the MS site

Q. Can I do sequential injection with MegaSquirt?

A. There are two common sorts of injection:
Throttle body injection - usually one or two injecotrs for the whole engine
Port injection (aka. Multi-Port) - one injector per cylinder
Then there are three common modes of injection timing:
batch - all injectors fire at once, but not timed to any specific cylinder event,
bank - ½ the injectors fire at once, then the other ½, and so on, but not timed to any specific cylinder event,
sequential - each injector fires at a specific point in the 4-stroke cyle for each cylinder (i.e., 8 independent timing events)
Throttle body injected cars are usually batch or bank fire, simply because of the geometry. Most port injection set-ups before the mid-1990s were bank fire as well (including GM Tuned Port Injection for the 305/350).
Sequential injection requires:

at least as many injectors as you have cylinders, with one dedicated to each cylinder (i.e., not a 4 injector TBI on a 4 cylinder).
as many injector drivers as you have cylinders,
and also requires a camshaft position sensor (a crank sensor is not adequate for a 4-stroke cycle engine).
However, sequential injection does not necessarily mean you are injecting into an open intake valve all the time. The intake valve is only open less than 30% of the time in a typical 4 stroke engine. Once you are trying to produce more than about 25% of maximum HP your injectors are firing for longer than the intake valves are open. If your maximum HP is correctly calibrated to a safe 80% duty cycle, your injectors are injecting well over 50% of the time on closed valves.

MegaSquirt has just two injector drivers (that can handle up to ten injectors each), and no provisions for a cam sensor signal, so it would be difficult to make it into a sequential injection system.

The benefits of sequential injection are that:

you may get slightly better mileage and lower emissions at low engine speeds,
you can tune each cylinder's fuel amount independently (if you know how).
The effect on maximum horsepower is general negligible.

Adrian

Posted: Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

That would provide a problem for the SEFI V8 (and AU above I6 i would think?).... although it would be interesting to hear people's comments on reverting this to a bank fire system? Bit of a step backwards but as noted above, only really an issue at idle/low RPM.

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next