Metho in fuel 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: Metho in fuel
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

Hey, my car has been sitting for about 12 months without being driven, whilst I haven't had my license and I've been working on it. I've heard in several places that people sometimes put a bit of metho in the petrol tank to absorb any moisture that may have gotten in there. The tank was pretty much empty the whole time, but I don't want any water contamination. Is it a good idea or a no no? Will the metho upset the oxygen sensors? I'm not worried about the cats (they are empty anyway haha), More concerned about the oxy sensors. The car's an EL 5 litre - what are people's thoughts?

Gab

Post subject: Re: Metho in fuel
Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

ive used metho in the tank before and it didnt do it any harm, but that was in a HQ 308 carby. so injected might be a different story

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 40 images

Ride: EF GLi/Ghia bitsa

VIC, Australia

ranga83 wrote:
ive used metho in the tank before and it didnt do it any harm, but that was in a HQ 308 carby. so injected might be a different story

Do you think it made a difference?

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:49 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

seemed to get the water out of my tank., not 100% sure as i ended up putting a hole in the tank and had to replace it, but yeah it ran a bit better after running a tank of fuel with a bottle of metho through it

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:51 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Fill the tanks with 98, add about 1/2 litre of metho, see if you can get the pure stuff. No didferent to using ethanol, Won't harm your O2 sensors used in moderation.

Posted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

If your that concerned, drain what you can for mower fuel & fill it with a full tank of 98 (or even e10) But I haven't heard of it killing 02 sensors. Usually they're pretty f**k anyway

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:22 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

The best stuff to absorb water in your fuel is ethanol. So, a fill (or even a few litres) of E10 will do the trick nicely. A warning with E10: Don't leave a car parked up for more than a few weeks with E10 in the tank. Because it is so good at absorbing moisture, it actually attracts it, increasing the amount of water in your fuel.

Metho is usually about 90% ethanol and 10% methanol. The methanol is a lot less kind to your fuel system than ethanol, but half a litre of metho has only 50ml of methanol. 50 ml of methanol in a tank of fuel is no issue whatsoever. I have used a splash of metho in both my cars (and my lawnmower) for years to get rid of condensation in the tank with no problems. There is nothing in metho that should harm an O2 sensor.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]