Fordmods Logo

Mods fitted now stalls on gas, lopes on petrol. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Mods fitted now stalls on gas, lopes on petrol.
Posted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:35 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Hey Guys,

Had new cat welded in, a new Lukey 2 1/2 system put on and a 3" air intake piping fitted to my EF I6 about a month ago. Since then I have been having trouble with the car idleing. I have had one small backfire during this time.

When i pull up with moderate brakeing, the engine fluctuates from as low as 250rpm up to 900rpm and takes 10-20 seconds to settle to anything that resembles an idle.

It does it quite badly on gas but I have noticed that it is doing it on petrol as well but not quite as severe.

I have checked all vaccuum lines & pcv valve, all rubbers and box for intake are fine, have changed the map sensor, the TPS, O2 sensor is 12 months old (changed with gas install), have cleaned the ISC and also fitted a new one, leads plugs and coil are only 3 months old, gas system has been retuned (gastec, mcmillan system).

It almost feels as though the rush of air into the engine when slowing is to much for the engine to handle. If i roll to a stop with light braking it isn't as bad.

Other than the idle it runs great.

Any ideas on what/where else to look?

Thanks
Steve.

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:39 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Falcon

VIC, Australia

disconnect your ISC . adjust the idle screw whilst engine at operating temp. should be about 750rpm. once i did that the engine revs (under brakes) did not fluctuate (from 200 then 800).

have a crack at that.

SIGNATURE REMOVED - REFER TO FORUM GUIDELINES!

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

yep tell me about it

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Last edited by efbignik on Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Mods fitted now stalls on gas, lopes on petrol.
Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:02 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: EF Falcon

VIC, Australia

sgtsmkr wrote:
Hey Guys,

Had new cat welded in, a new Lukey 2 1/2 system put on and a 3" air intake piping fitted to my EF I6 about a month ago. Since then I have been having trouble with the car idleing. I have had one small backfire during this time.

When i pull up with moderate brakeing, the engine fluctuates from as low as 250rpm up to 900rpm and takes 10-20 seconds to settle to anything that resembles an idle.

It does it quite badly on gas but I have noticed that it is doing it on petrol as well but not quite as severe.

I have checked all vaccuum lines & pcv valve, all rubbers and box for intake are fine, have changed the map sensor, the TPS, O2 sensor is 12 months old (changed with gas install), have cleaned the ISC and also fitted a new one, leads plugs and coil are only 3 months old, gas system has been retuned (gastec, mcmillan system).

It almost feels as though the rush of air into the engine when slowing is to much for the engine to handle. If i roll to a stop with light braking it isn't as bad.

Other than the idle it runs great.

Any ideas on what/where else to look?

Thanks
Steve.

join the club buddy i'm working on it

EFBIGNIK 145.9 RWKW Falcon / 16.27 @ 86.72mph (Stock)
http://s60.photobucket.com/albums/h38/e ... urnout.flv

Posted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:45 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Quote:
join the club buddy i'm working on it

I'm glad i'm not the only one with a problem.

Found that the computer that controls the gas wasn't recognising "open loop" mode, fitted a new O2 sensor and had this fixed, car ran fine for 10-15k's then started happening again.

Will try the ISC adjustment tomorrow and see how it goes.

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 12:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

II found that when ever anything in my induction settup was changed the LPG would run like s**t and stall and need to bee retuned.

HHow close is your converter to yoour extractors? Are you running a heat shield? Any change the moob who fitted the extractors knocked wires off or knocked something or anything ((maybe they knocked it out of tune or something like that)?

Posted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:30 am 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 13 images

Ride: EF

VIC, Australia

i find if i change anything my gas needs to be adjusted, thankfully i know how to tune my converter :).

try the isc, and upping the idle screw, then try adding some more gas on the converter idle screw.

latest mod: A Service
MY BUILD THREAD

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:29 pm 
Stock as a Rock

WA, Australia

Quote:
HHow close is your converter to yoour extractors? Are you running a heat shield? Any change the moob who fitted the extractors knocked wires off or knocked something or anything ((maybe they knocked it out of tune or something like that)?

Yeah I'm running a heat shield (extractors were already onthe car) and all the wires are still connected.

Quote:
i find if i change anything my gas needs to be adjusted, thankfully i know how to tune my converter .

try the isc, and upping the idle screw, then try adding some more gas on the converter idle screw.

Gas has also been retuned twice now. Runs slightly better but still has a tendancy to stall if slowing down quickly.

Posted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: BA on gas. EL on gas. XF on gas.

SA, Australia

Ok looked at how to adjust the idle setting in my EF book (had the same problem with stalling). Reset the idle and so far so good.

Member Number 8804

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]