Post subject: Moving ECU?
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: 5.0 AU's and 5.0 Maverick

Power: 139 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Hi everyone
With the rebuild of my Maverick going on , I am determined to fix all the little issues that s**t me with the first build.
Location of the ECU is one of them!
I dont want it down near the floor as per the factory EFI Mavericks had them for the obvious risk of water ingress while out playing. To get around that issue I placed it in the glovebox for this build.
No glove box is a pain in the a*** and is just a half attempt.
This time around I want to move it to the back firewall , behind the back seats up high. No risk of water ingress , easy to get to for maintenance and tidy.
So is there any fault with my great plan? The ECU harness will need to be made about 2m longer then it is now which I have no drama doing. I understand it will be more suseptable to both inducing and induced noise so I will shield the harness the full length and earth the shield.
I am seeing no issue with it all except for possible voltage drop over the length of the harness which I wont know if it will be an issue or not until its done but I thought Id put it out there for input from the people who know more about ECU's then me.
I am using the factory EEC4 ECU from an EB.
Cheers Matt

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.
Based on that fact my Mum is the best around!

Post subject: Re: Moving ECU?
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 7:03 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Matt,

Couldn't work out why when I read the title on the home page... But yeah in the Mav I'd wanna do that too...

Electrically I am not seeing much issue... The inputs are digital and high impedance so very little current flows and the added resistance in the cable shouldn't make any difference...

Outputs are transistor type and I don't think a whole 2 meters will make a tremendous amount of difference to the transistor internal impedance...

I know from adding into my ECU harness three wires are shielded out of the whole stack of them and these wires carry very small signals and hence interference is a real possibility... These are from memory the PIP, SPOUT & coil negative which run to the TFI... and the earth for the shild is one of the two earths that screw to the bracket that holds the computer in... I doubt it would upset things like the wires driving relays because a little interference wont pull a relay in...

I would find another length of braided shield and devise a way to join with minimal resistance and then continue it up to your new computer... Again earthing it at the computer like it is from the factory...

All in all I'm not seeing too much to worry about esp for such a short extension...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:05 pm 
NSW Cruise Moderator

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: TE50

NSW, Australia

Matt, possibly a touch unrelated but..

When we got the Jag Track car, we relocated the Haltech, being the barbarian we are, we simply extended the wiring via another Haltech plug from a dead ECU. It was not the extension you are talking about, but there was still about 1m of extra wire added, was then shielded and grounded, we never had an issue with the ECU side, the jag side though.. FML.

Even when we added a IQ2 dash, the extra length made zero difference, the action was still crisp and the display was always strong, The Haltech may have a bit more power to deal with the extra length, but have you had a look at what cars in the US are using EEC and what their location is to give you idea of the extra length that can be run without any signal drops?

I have a car.

Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers guys.
I was thinking along the lines that it would be fine and I really couldnt think of any issues it would cause.
But I thought I would run it past everyone and see if there was an issue that was staring me in the face I was missing. Being of an electrical background myself I wanted to make sure that familarity wasnt breeding contempt in this case.

xr6turnip wrote:
More people paid for a ride in a VT commodore then an AU Falcon so the VT is superior.

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 25 images

Ride: 93 Maverick LWB/S2 LWB Delica

Power: 75 rwkw

NSW, Australia

If you extend the wiring why not mount it in the roof, that way you will be drown "way" before it is :twisted:

93 Ford Maverick LWB automatic petrol guzzler (gets stuck where Deli doesn't, big pumpkins :evil:)
97 S2 Mitsubishi Delica LWB (off the road getting v8 transplant)

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Macca wrote:
If you extend the wiring why not mount it in the roof, that way you will be drown "way" before it is :twisted:

Looked into it. Too thick a harness to run up the A pillar by the time I put both the engine ECU and LPG computer up there.

The headdeck is going up there but.

xr6turnip wrote:

Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:09 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

is there any room above or behind the glovebox?? or above heater controls ect??

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]