Fordmods Logo

No electrical section.... 

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Post subject: No electrical section....
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Territory SX TX

QLD, Australia

Ok, I have an EB2 Fairmont with cruise. I push the cruise button, the light on the dash comes on, I try to set and hold a speed, which is what a cruise should do after all, lift off the pedal, car slows down, but the light on the dash tells me its working. What goes wrong with falcon cruise controls??? Any tips?

Post subject: Re: No electrical section....
Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 7 images

Ride: Black EB 5 Speed EL Front End

QLD, Australia

it could be the cruise buttons are worn out

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Ok, is there a test to solve that issue? And does anyone know of a momo wheel with cruise buttons sitting in someones shed that they may wish to part with?

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Thats a positve on the aircon. So I guess the tree is broken or something along those lines... Im swapping over to an EL manifold hopefully this weekend, where is the tree on that style of manifold, I havent got it out of the car yet and its a bit dark outside to look.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Is that for the EL or the EB? I know where the EB one is located, have replaced many a 4.0 headgasket over the years. Am not sure where the tree is on the EL though.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

QLD, Australia

Plugged the vac line back in. Fixed aircon, its still awesome after 18 yrs... Went for a testdrive to enjoy the aircon, and still have no cruise. Can the cruise from the EL donor car be retro fitted into the EB? When I say cruise, I mean vac pump assembly and associated wiring. Where do the associated wiring bits go to??

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:42 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

uniacidz wrote:
EB ED falcons used vacuum lines to the cruise control. Try checking the vacuum lines which come out of near the window washer reservior (green and black) and make sure they are plugged in properly into the vacuum tree near the engine block(below the left side of the car/passenger side)

Easy way to check the vacuum lines are stuffed, does your air vents default to the window demister and feet no matter what setting?

COuld be cruise control cable damaged. Check to see if the cable is fine.

Could also be the brake booster switch.

grrrrr!!! :twisted:

the green and black hoses are not related to cruise...

The black hose is manifold vac into the heater controls... The green hose turns the heater tap on and off...

The cruise system has its own vacuum pump, it is completely separate from manifold vacuum... I feel like I have said this a thousand times... :roll: no offence or anything but this wrong piece of info gets tossed around here so many times... Also only EF/EL systems have the master cylinder switch...

The vac pump is located behind the wiper bottle, with and EL with broadband I believe the broadband solenoid is behind there on an EF/EL... If you go to full functioning broadband with ED cruise then you will a) need to shorten or hide the length of the ED cruise cable... and b) find somewhere else to mount the solenoid valve...

On and ED the vac hose runs out from behind the wiper bottle (where the pump is) across the top of the firewall to the clutch cable hole (if its an auto they use this hole) tees into the cabin where it hooks to the pedal switches, and continues across the firewall into the actuator on the drivers side...

Near impossible to test whats wrong without actually driving, bit had to change parts while driving so this exercise is mostly suck it and see...

For starters you dash light tells you the module has power... It does not tell you its set...

The systems turns on AND off perfectly fine does it? This indicates all three wires in the wheel are working? When you hit "on" it joins the yellow wire to the blue wire, when you hit off it joins the black wire to the blue wire (black is ground, yellow is ground side of horn relay, blue is sense wire for cruise module)... If either function fails you might have worn contacts in behind the wheel...

Now if not... Have you checked the switch on the brake pedal? There will be two switches, one does the brake lights, one does cruise (again assuming and auto?)... The cruise switch has the vac hose on it... unplug the wire adaptor and check it with a multimeter... with the pedal up you should hear a beep... with it pressed you beep should be gone... If this doesn't work either your switch is buggered or not adjusted... If manual there will be a switch on the clutch which is identical to the one on the brake...

If you suck on the vac line with pedal up it should hold vacuum, with the pedal pressed it should dump vacuum (this is the back up if the electronics fail...

if that fails there isn't anymore switches that I'm aware of on the ED system... I'd pull off the hornpad and check the resistances of the set and coast buttons... if that fails I'd try either replacing the module under the console and if not than the vac pump...

I'll just find the ford diagram and add it to here...

Hopefully this helps a bit :mrgreen:

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Last edited by TimmyA on Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:52 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

As promised...

As you can see not many switches in the system... I think they many have drawn the "bridge" for autos across the wrong switch though... I am sure that you'd get rid of the clutch switch, not the brake switch...

Cheers,
Tim

Attachments:
Section Q.pdf [143.75 KiB]
Downloaded 221 times

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:53 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EBI Wagon & Mass Transit

NSW, Australia

dazza027 wrote:
Plugged the vac line back in. Fixed aircon, its still awesome after 18 yrs... Went for a testdrive to enjoy the aircon, and still have no cruise. Can the cruise from the EL donor car be retro fitted into the EB? When I say cruise, I mean vac pump assembly and associated wiring. Where do the associated wiring bits go to??

Yes it can be fitted but its a different set up as it only uses the one cruise module and is not like the EB system at all. Have a look for BenJ wagon or sedan thread in the garage section as an EL cruise control unit is fitted to the EB wagon but before that is was in the sedan which was a early EB2 model but it runs an EL motor but still useful as he has gone into detail with it.

Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:57 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

LP_ wrote:
dazza027 wrote:

Yes it can be fitted but its a different set up as it only uses the one cruise module and is not like the EB system at all. Have a look for BenJ wagon or sedan thread in the garage section as an EL cruise control unit is fitted to the EB wagon but before that is was in the sedan which was a early EB2 model but it runs an EL motor but still useful as he has gone into detail with it.

Also I have done this... Link is in my signature down below... Again more pics, info, comments, ideas, etc... It all helps...

Cheers,
Tim

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 10 posts ]