Fordmods Logo

performance LPG 

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Post subject: performance LPG
Posted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:40 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

It seems there are a few guys running LPG on their falcons, but has anyone thought about using it as a performance fuel? Ive heard it has an octane rating of 100, so how much extra timing could be allowed?
Food for thought..... :?:

behold I give you the RB40det!!!.....

Posted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:53 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

well i have a stage 5 motor running dual fuel atm but im hoping to go straight gas injection. thats when i should see the real improvements

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Territory TX AWD & AUII XLS EGAS

NSW, Australia

There's a few guys on the Aust. Ford Forums running LPG on the older vehicles and running bloody good times too.

From memory there's a few 11 second street V8s out there running LPG ... if set up well ... it should go bloody well.

I have been contemplating supercharging the EGAS ute though ... hee hee. Money is the thing stopping me though ... or lack of it.

04 Territory TX AWD - Winter White - optioned up
06 Falcon BFII XLS ute EGAS - Winter White - EGA-54D Version 2

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

so if i was to go to gas (i been pondering it for some time, no space in boot so would have to replace current fuel tank) is there a possibility of getting a gas that is atleast the same performance, if not higher then fuel, if so where do i get it from... i dont need some stupid insane s**t like avgas but something up there...

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Razor7107 wrote:
so if i was to go to gas (i been pondering it for some time, no space in boot so would have to replace current fuel tank) is there a possibility of getting a gas that is atleast the same performance, if not higher then fuel, if so where do i get it from... i dont need some stupid insane s**t like avgas but something up there...

Gas injection system from parnell (www.parnell.com.au i think or just .com) It is supposed to give u at least equal power to petty if not more!!!!

im looking into this atm as yeha ive got a beast of a motor but want more power!!!

Posted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 2000 AU Fairmont

WA, Australia

will your basic mechanic do that when i get the gas first installed with 2k government rebate?

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

There have been a few successful drag cars in the US of A running LPG, so it is possible. I think they call it something else over there,.

Gas injection systems are not available for all cars, so don't believe anybody that says that it is!!

LPG injection has only recently been designed for Ford BA, Holden (latest model before the VE, whatever that was) and Mitsubishi before the 380, and more recently the Territory. In fact, unless the system that is to be fitted to a new/ post 2000 (I think) car is emmission approved, the fitting is actually illegal!! LPG cannot be fitted (legaly) aftermarket yet to a VE, as there is no approved system yet.

Most (and I stress most) gas injection system are good, and give better power.

One of the better performance designes around for the earlier Fords was the Tickford system, as that also had a piggy back computer that altered the ignition system to suit the gas. :)

As for timing, gas can run a higher initial advance, with a slower curve that petrol, as it is a slower burning fuel. The octane rating is anywhere beween 95 and 100, depending on how much butane was added to the mix on the day. Higher compressions can be run, but not because of the octane rating, but because the gas is a GAS, and can be compressed further than a liquid (petrol). Different cam profiles can also be used, but beware, not all petrol cams work well with gas. The only people I know that have researched this properly were Gasresearch, and they stopped their cams. :(

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:34 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Doesn't propane have an octane rating of 110? but you don't get as many ks per tank
It is the mixture of butain (spelling) with the propane that gives you extra mileage!

Adam

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:26 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: el wagon

VIC, Australia

Yes, it's something like that, I knew it was one or the other. I stand corrected :oops:

Posted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: FG G6E Turbo

VIC, Australia

Pure propane is only 2c/L dearer if you know where to get it!
When I flick my car over to petrol after running propane I can hardly tell the difference.

Has anyone else ran their car off pure propane?

Adam

FG G6E Turbo
Grandpa Spec!

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:23 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

propane sounds good, isnt that what you fill bbq bottles with? i think thats a fair bit dearer than the propane/butane mix you get at the servo.
So far ive played with some things, extra advance was good and apart from a poor idle, disconnecting the map sensor hose made it absolutly fly! why i don't know. ive worked out my comp. ratio to be 8.8:1 so there is some improvement to be had there, though i am still seriously considering a T3 skyline turbo.
the old bus used to do 18.99999 ET so i'll see if it gets any better?

behold I give you the RB40det!!!.....

Posted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 9 images

Ride: EF Falcon XT-T

VIC, Australia

supagas sell both normal LPG and Pure Propane, it is only a few cents more per litre.
the main issue is, if u tune for it, you can't get it from many plcaes.

FALCN6 - EF GLi Turbo, 20" Rims, Air Bag Suspension, Straight LPG, 225rwkw
DTHWGN - EA GL Wagon, LTD Interior, Satin Black, 5.0, Turbo
RACER - EF Futura , 5.0, 5 Speed
PROJECT - 83 Thunderbird, Lowered, 18" Billet Wheels
DAILY - BA Fairmont Ghia 5.4 3V

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 12 posts ]