PLEASE HELP! IS IT FUEL PUMP?? (HOW TO REPLACE)97 EL Falcon 

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Post subject: PLEASE HELP! IS IT FUEL PUMP?? (HOW TO REPLACE)97 EL Falcon
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:17 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon 97 EL wagon

VIC, Australia

Hi everyone,

I drive a 97 EL station wagon and am a total noob when it comes to fixing it (and posting) and so hope this makes sense and is not too long winded...but here goes...

The problem I'm having/symptoms are:

There has been a steadily increasing ringing sound coming from the boot/tailgate area of my wagon. It started out as a faint ringing but has now started drowning out the radio . It sounds like a solenoid motor or something whirring/screaming for help. When i left the car running and went to the back to check it out it seems it's coming from a little circular electric thing that looks like it enters the fuel tank on the back left hand side of the car. So that's why i'm assuming that maybe the fuel pump given it looks to be attached to the tank. Whatever it is it's making a mad racket and i was wondering how I could fix it. To look at where the ringing seems to be coming from when sliding under the car near the back left hand tyre there is a black electric cable that goes through a hole in a protective metal cover attached to the fuel tank. The cable/cord then goes into a black circular thing that sits flush with the side of what looks like the fuel tank (it's right underneath the left hand edge of where the spare tyre sits inside the car).

The other thing that makes me think it's the fuel pump or fuel line related is because when i'm driving and the ringing gets worse (it gets louder at times than others) the fuel guage in the dash starts flicking up and down randomly/uncontrolably from full to empty and back up again. Like it's an electric signal that's intermittantly breaking in and out so the fuel gauge keeps dropping to empty and back up again.

I've attached photos to try and help explain. Hope this helps!!

I want to fix it myself if I can (it looks like something that should be easily replaced whatever this thing is) and so any help re: photos or a guide on how to fix it (inc. what tools needed) would be awesome!!

Thanks!! (and please feel free to ask questions as i know this isn't the best explanation )

Attachments:
2. Is this the fuel pump...the LOUD ringing seems to be from here (pic 2).jpg
2. Is this the fuel pump...the LOUD ringing seems to be from here (pic 2).jpg [ 78.22 KiB | Viewed 821 times ]
1. Is this the fuel pump (pic 1).jpg
1. Is this the fuel pump (pic 1).jpg [ 86.98 KiB | Viewed 749 times ]

Post subject: Re: PLEASE HELP! IS IT FUEL PUMP?? (HOW TO REPLACE)97 EL Falcon
Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:38 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Falcon 97 EL wagon

VIC, Australia

:?: Also... if it is the fuel pump/sender unit that's making that loud whirring, do you access it through the boot somehow (it's a wagon) or do you access it from the side of the tank...or do you have to remove the tank to get to the pump/sender unit?

I've been reading about how hard it is to undo the locking ring everywhere but after taking a look I'm not sure how you even get to it (i can't see any fuel tank floor cover anywhere...even if i take the spare tyre out)

Any help would be really appreciated :mrgreen:

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Ive only done sedan fuel pumps and you can get the fuel pump out from in the boot by taking the tight plastic ring off, it has a special tool for that, but you may have to drop the fuel tank being a wagon because its in the side

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:37 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

that is where the fuel pump and fuel gauge sender are, you need to remove that cover plate and pull the pump out through the side of the tank, just try and do it when you are low on fuel otherwise fuel will piss out everywhere..

it looks like its been weeping fuel from the seal on the tank for a while..

Posted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:38 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: El Falcon Wagon

VIC, Australia

Just did this job, one thing to look out for before starting, the rubber seal between the fastening plate and the tank may be perished like mine, and its about $35 from ford. Also, as per the service manual, use petroleum jelly to get the pump assembly back in the tank because its very frustrating to do with out it. good luck

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:56 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: EL Wagon 6

NSW, Australia

wrigglez wrote:
Just did this job, one thing to look out for before starting, the rubber seal between the fastening plate and the tank may be perished like mine, and its about $35 from ford. Also, as per the service manual, use petroleum jelly to get the pump assembly back in the tank because its very frustrating to do with out it. good luck

Did you have to drop the tank?
or raise the car for the hole in the coverplate to lign up with allowing the pump to come out?

EL6 :(

Posted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: '03 BA & '06 BF Wagooons

VIC, Australia

Zol1967 wrote:
wrigglez wrote:

Did you have to drop the tank?
or raise the car for the hole in the coverplate to lign up with allowing the pump to come out?

the cover plate needs to be removed on a wagooon so fuel pump can be removed. also make sure your tank is low on fuel as it will gush out otherwise.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 7 posts ]