Fordmods Logo

Problems on petrol - choke and splutters at revs! UPDATED! 

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Problems on petrol - choke and splutters at revs! UPDATED!
Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:38 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

I posted about this ages ago, and the problem is still there, even though I have done heaps to try to fix it!
Since I last posted I have no cleaned out the fuel rail, replaced the injectors (and fitted that Repco Vaporate system), fitted a new Bosch Fuel Regulator (the Tickford/XR6 300kpa spec one), and replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel pump filter. AND IT'S STILL THERE! Is there anything else I can replace? As far as I know that's pretty much the entire fuel system! Also cleaned the K&N pannel air filter, cleaned all the air intake piping, cleaned the throttle body and inlet manifold and replaced the head with a Tickford/XR6 94DT one!

The problem is that you start the car on petrol and drive around (only happens on petrol - not LPG), drives fine for a while, roughly 5 minutes, then after that it starts to choke in high revs (say 4,000rpm), but then the longer you drive, the lower that rev level becomes (e.g. after 15 minutes of driving the engine WILL NOT rev past 2,000 rpm!). When you have it up on it's limit the thing splutters and bit like the engine is being choked!
Turn the car off and turn it back on and she's back to normal only to start these shinadigans all over again!!!

It's got me worried as I didn't really want to drive from Melbourne to Adelaide without my petrol system there for back up!

Last edited by twr7cx on Tue Feb 21, 2006 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

fuel pump relay?

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

wouldn't think so, as the relay either would or wouldn't provide power. I don't see how it would cause this.

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 33 images

Ride: EL Fairmont Ghia

TAS, Australia

dunno ither people have replaced it and found it solves some fuel problems, a few people said it cured there bad idle problems. it may be worth a try for how cheap its prob gonna be

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:07 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: 95 NF Fairlane

VIC, Australia

mate i dont know everything u have changed but 1 thing comes to mind pretty qiuk ,... ur idle sensor ... i hope that help :)
all the best
adz

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

"Drive it , Like you stole it " ... so whats your excuse :D

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

idle sensor? the idel speed controller? that shouldn't matter as some people discconnect them.
also i'd think the key word there is idle, my problems when i'm accelerating in driving!

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:27 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: LS3 VF

WA, Australia

could easily be the PCM stuffing up as the unit itself heats up or something too...

Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:31 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

okies ... im just thinking cause something is telling the computer to idle higher .. it could be oxy sensor or a sensor .
just trying to help mate ;)
hope all turns out well

93 EB 4 Speed auto , 2 1/2 sports from cat back , pod filter , LSD , super low suspenstion , mok tickford rims 15" , 7 colour changing led parker lights , led no plate lights and still want more .. allooootttttttttttt more ..

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:51 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

Still sounds like something in the petrol delivery system, as things like the ISC and O2 sensor are common to both LPG/petrol.
It's typical that the petrol side in dual fuel systems don't get used enough, so it will cause problems - simply using petrol to start isn't enough.
Did you carefully run some compressed air through your fuel lines (from engine side to tank) when you changed the pump, etc ? Might be some restriction in the system that reduces the flow, and takes a bit of time to starve the system ??
Maybe check out the charcoal canister and it's lines, test the purge solenoid.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:08 am 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

kaiden351 wrote:
okies ... im just thinking cause something is telling the computer to idle higher .. it could be oxy sensor or a sensor .
just trying to help mate ;)
hope all turns out well

no problem on idle, it's not effecting the idle at all. idles fine as. only when driving.

didn't run compressed air throughthe lines.

Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:54 pm 
Stock as a Rock

VIC, Australia

hey mate ... i am sorry ... i miss read it :( .... have u jump started any cars lately .. or had any head lights blow constantly ... if you have ... it is power spiking ... so there for the comp is r/s which gives would explain why u have changed so much and still no results .. when i say lately i mean around the time it started , if that is not it .. then i am sorry mate but i am out of ideas and i hope that u can figure it out asap :)

Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 5:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

well she's gotten worse, only takes a few minutes (used to take at least 10) now before the engine starts choking and weezing and is undrivable now.
i just wish something would physically break or something so i can see were the problem is, hate going through all that fiddly crap!
anyways leaving tomorrow so it's gunna have to wait till i get back!

Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

I had a problem like this with one of my old cars.

The problem turned out to be the swirl tank wasn't set up properly and I was getting air in the petrol. I can go into details if you want.

It sound like the tank might not be venting properly. If the tank can't equalise pressure with the atmosphere, then you can get a vacuum in the tank which will cause fuel starvation issues.

I'm assuming you don't have an external swirl tank and are just using the standard Ford fuel tank?

Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

TAS, Australia

unclewoja wrote:
I had a problem like this with one of my old cars.

The problem turned out to be the swirl tank wasn't set up properly and I was getting air in the petrol. I can go into details if you want.

It sound like the tank might not be venting properly. If the tank can't equalise pressure with the atmosphere, then you can get a vacuum in the tank which will cause fuel starvation issues.

I'm assuming you don't have an external swirl tank and are just using the standard Ford fuel tank?

Please give me more details! Sorry just got back from holidays!

As far as I know everything is standard in the fuel set up (apart from the mods mentioned in first post) and the fact that the wagon is a duel fueler and the petrol tank has been made smaller it seems.

Posted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:40 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: AU XR6 with BF Turbo engine

NSW, Australia

Have you tried to extract any codes from the ECU? That will give you an idea if it is electrical or something mechanical.

Also on the left hand side under the car are 2 fuel lines, one is a return and the other a feed from the tank, try clamping one off ( the return line) and see if that makes a difference

RIP :( 1x confused Falcon..EL Falcon with full AU running gear...VCT, 5 speed, IRS, AUII front suspension, brakes, and steering RIP

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next