Fordmods Logo

Questions on fuel pressure reg's 

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Post subject: Questions on fuel pressure reg's
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:33 am 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

Hi guys, yesterday i bought an EB XR6 computer for my EB II Fairmont and installed it. The car was going fine with the XR6 computer slight better pick up difference but no drastic performance improvements. I didnt expect heaps as i am not running a Tickford engine anyway. I have heard the XR6 runs a higher fuel pressure regulator so i decided today to buy the reg of the car i got the ECU out of and it is a 300kpa. My original of my car is a 250kpa. I installed the 300kpa and the car is overfuelling on start up but runs fine afterwards. My neighbor has an EB XR6 and that has a 250kpa reg also. What is the original regs on XR's and Fairmonts? I ended up putting the 250kpa back on.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Post subject: Re: Questions on fuel pressure reg's
Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:37 am 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

yea the xr6 one is 300kpa..
sounds like the reg from the wreckers could be buggered...
as at idle both regs have the same pressure, its not untill the manifold vacuum drops (under load)that the reg gives more pressure..

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 12:53 pm 

NSW, Australia

Thanks Troy. Should i be ok keeping the 250 reg. is there a noticable difference between the 2 regs on the standard engine when the reg is not buggered.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:17 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

You have to remember between the EB/ED std and XR models there is stuff all power increase, as XR has 161kw and std was 148 IIRC... so a total difference of 13kws at the flywheel...

This power in crease is due to:

A different Computer,
A different fuel reg pressure,
A different head,
A different cam,

and probably other minor differences too...

So installing any one or two of these components is going to make stuff all difference...

If you want the whole 13kws then you need all these components and you could easily spend over 1000 bucks buy the time you find a good head and change it over and then the cam and computer and that...

For that sort of money its a better investment to just buy a wade (or similar) cam, for the 1636 which I haven't installed yet they quoted me 15kws increase, the cam is a couple of hundred (for a regrind) and a couple more hundred for shims and vernier gear and that...

and a set of pacemaker extractors are said to be 5kw at the back wheels (like 8 at the fly?) and they'll set you back a few hundred for a good used set... Already you have twice the power for the same money...

You don't upgrade to XR6 components for the power, you only do it for the look nowadays with so many simple bolt on parts, you don't even need to spend hundreds on the computer anymore with a J3 chip in a standard one you can get similar figures and still have a (nearly) fully adjustable ECU...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 2:52 pm 

NSW, Australia

Thanks for your advise Tim. i think i wont bother doing anymore with it for now then.

Posted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:44 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 20 images

Ride: ED Falcon

Power: 133 rwkw

NSW, Australia

thats cool..

Like I said though, its hardly worth the effort...

Even guys now are going way beyond what done to the XR head so even these are really pointless when you could spend a fortune on a head where you could have picked up someone's useless head, had it ported, re-seated, etc and have a better following head than an XR one...

Each to their own, but after doing the research I decided I wasn't going down the path of buying expensive XR running gear... Its easier just to get onto these performance places and say this is how I drive it, this is what I want from it it, how much... They are always very helpful...

Cheers,
Tim

93 Red ED 5spd Manual Build Thread

Performance: Complete AUII VCT Wiring & Power Train, Pacey Headers, 2.5" Exhaust, Exedy Clutch, DBA Rotors
Visuals: FG XR Wheel, XR Front, 17's, BA 5 Spd Shifter, BA Ghia Window Switches, NL Cluster
Tunes: 8" Pioneer Sub, JBL Speakers, Clarion Double DIN Headunit

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 6 posts ]