Fordmods Logo

Replacing the injectors in an EL - WORTHWHILE ? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Replacing the injectors in an EL - WORTHWHILE ?
Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:46 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Yeah well that's the only issue with the in tank injector cleaner I put some in the other day just to clean em through a bit.
An that's also the advantage of having them taken out and cleaned is they fix the spray pattern and all that if something is wrong with any of them.

I have heard similar thoughts about the AU ones as well they would be worth a try but how much do ya reckon a set of 6 would go for? To bad for the economy huh ! :twisted:

I got AU ones in my car and it works well in conjunction with other modifications. It did give me better fuel economy so that wasn't too bad. I also changed the fuel regulator to the XR spec one.

I bought mine off ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Remanufactured-F ... dZViewItem

Same person I bought it off without issues.

Hope that helps.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Turbo EL

VIC, Australia

Thanks for the help Phongus ! That is great news think I'll pick myself up a set of those injectors :D
Do they just fit straight up in an EL? And I'm sure I should see some improvement as I have done all the basics like cam, exhaust, extractors all that stuff. Oh and also got an xr6 fuel regulator too just haven't fitted it yet.

Build Thread:
1998 Turbo EL Futura Sapphire

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: DENTED UP OLD AUT WAGON

New Zealand

Yeahp. I got a complete AU manifold, fuel rail, injectors and fuel reg for about $60 too... Only way of doing it! Take everything off the AU Broad Band Manifold and use it... The AU pressure thing is slightly different from memory, but is do-able. The injectors themselves plug straight in and are much nicer in design and function.

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:35 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Thanks for the help Phongus ! That is great news think I'll pick myself up a set of those injectors :D
Do they just fit straight up in an EL? And I'm sure I should see some improvement as I have done all the basics like cam, exhaust, extractors all that stuff. Oh and also got an xr6 fuel regulator too just haven't fitted it yet.

Straight fit...plug and play.

If you want, you can give the fuel rail a sand and polish and give the ports a bit of a clean by removing all dust around it. Besides that all should fit as it should.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:51 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Ahhh beautiful thanks guys ! :D

You got a bargain there Fiend ! Did you feel any difference when you swapped it all over?

And thats what I was thinking Phongus, take the rail out and clean it up and paint it and then fit the xr regulator.

Build Thread:

Posted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:45 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Well I bought a set of the AU injectors and sure enough they have a the 4 hole design rather than the one hole on the EF/EL.
I have cleaned the fuel rail up and decided to pull the lower part of the air intake off so I could paint and clean. It needs a clean cause there was a fair bit of gunk in the injector holes. The b**ch part is taking all the wiring through the lower half of the intake !!

Here are pictures of the AU / EL injectors if anyone is interested.

EL:

AU:

EL and AU

Build Thread:

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:46 am 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

I'm guessing they use the same o rings? As in the picture the ea-el ones had no o-rings?
How do you guys feel about using old o rings? As long as they are not broken or split they should be good right?

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:18 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Saltez: The EL ones do have o-rings just that they are black in colour and didn't come out in the photo :oops: When I took them off the car I was expecting some degrading around the o-ring but all seem to be in fine with no splits or cracks.

Uniacidz: You will definitely need o-rings for the AU ones and the injectors aren't all that hard to put in, you just remove the top of the broad band manifold, undo the pressure regulator at the back of the fuel rail, loosen the bolts holding the fuel rail on, undo the wires that feed to the injectors, remove all injectors from the block while still attached to the fuel rail and then remove them one by one from the fuel rail. (few other things like throttle cable, air pipe to the throttle body and pcv valves will be removed too).

Build Thread:

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

I put AU injectors in my ef , very easy to install, I took them out and put them somewhere and now I can't put them in my xr6. I lost a o ring off one au injector so I used a ef o ring and worked fine, didn't notice much difference but the spray pattern is better than an ef

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:46 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

B Bear wrote:
Saltez: The EL ones do have o-rings just that they are black in colour and didn't come out in the photo :oops: When I took them off the car I was expecting some degrading around the o-ring but all seem to be in fine with no splits or cracks.

Uniacidz: You will definitely need o-rings for the AU ones and the injectors aren't all that hard to put in, you just remove the top of the broad band manifold, undo the pressure regulator at the back of the fuel rail, loosen the bolts holding the fuel rail on, undo the wires that feed to the injectors, remove all injectors from the block while still attached to the fuel rail and then remove them one by one from the fuel rail. (few other things like throttle cable, air pipe to the throttle body and pcv valves will be removed too).

When I put my injectors in I didn't remove my fuel rail, I just undone the bolts holding it down, wriggled it around so the injectors popped outta the manifold the pulled them outta the rail then put the new injectors in, I also removed the throttle body and a few vac hoses on the back of the rail, it's a bit fiddley but less things to take apart , tool me 20 mins

El XR6 Turbo
Dark Agents,Sunroof, bilstein shocks, 6000k HIDS, 329 mm slotted rotors, twin pot calipers , Climate Control, GarrettT04 turbo,log manifold, crow turbo cam, microtech lt10c, 42lb injectors , 044, surge tank , T56 , rebuilt bottom end , alloy plenum .

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

ef_falcon_95 wrote:
B Bear wrote:

When I put my injectors in I didn't remove my fuel rail, I just undone the bolts holding it down, wriggled it around so the injectors popped outta the manifold the pulled them outta the rail then put the new injectors in, I also removed the throttle body and a few vac hoses on the back of the rail, it's a bit fiddley but less things to take apart , tool me 20 mins

Yeah I agree you have the right idea ! Your approach is much easier :)
I should have mentioned that I am going to change the fuel regulator and clean out the ports a bit.

Build Thread:

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No worries mate didn't know u were changing the Reg and s**t.

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:29 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

B Bear wrote:
ef_falcon_95 wrote:
B Bear wrote:

Yeah I agree you have the right idea ! Your approach is much easier :)
I should have mentioned that I am going to change the fuel regulator and clean out the ports a bit.

there is still no need to remove the top of the bbm.. just the vacuum tree and
you can remove the throttle body to make it easier

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:38 pm 
Stock as a Rock

SA, Australia

Quote:

LOL sorry didnt notice you had black ones, I'm used to seeing the green 0 rings. Are they off a house tap or something :P

XG Ute. BBM conversion, EL ECU + J3 Chip, 3" Stainless Steel Intake Pipe, K&N Pod Filter, Wade 1673 Camshaft, Pacemaker extractors, 2.5 Inch Hi-Flow Cat, 2.5 Inch exhaust, Cab Extension, 18" FG GT Rims, resprayed in blueprint.

Posted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:39 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

No black is how they come

El XR6 Turbo

Aiming for 300 rwkw

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next