Fordmods Logo

Rough and Rich running on petr.ol. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Rough and Rich running on petr.ol.
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:37 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: Ford Falcon AUII

NSW, Australia

Hey, I have a dual fuel AUII falcon which runs superbly on gas but rather shocking on petrol. On gas it runs great smooth acceleration and steady idle, with a touch of smoke if I blip the throttle. However on petrol it will idle ok for a little bit (albeit with a fair bit of black smoke) but after a minute or two it starts chugging out smoke and the idle becomes VERY rough and will stall easily. Also on acceleration it will sort of shudder and lose a lot of power.

Things i've tried (so far):
1. New oxygen sensor, if anything this has made it worse.
2. Reset ECU twice - it will run without smoke the very first time (as it resets to the base map) but after a few minutes as it "learns" it starts pumping out smoke again.

Things to try:
1. Clean and flowtest injectors.
2. Replace TMAP sensor.
3. Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator.

I have noticed that the LPG ecu (its a MOTOGAS STAG100 if that means anything to anyone) interrupts the signal from the oxygen sensor via a really dodgy solder join, which I will cut off and resolder tomorrow to see if that helps but I doubt it.

Basically if anyone can offer any advice or other things to try it'd be muchly appreciated.

Thanks, Thomas.

My Megasquirt 3 install: here

Post subject: Re: Rough and Rich running on petr.ol.
Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:43 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA SVO, AU2, Toyota Crown

VIC, Australia

either map sensor or fuel pressure reg. i'm not sure if gas uses the MAP sensor. if it does and runs well on it, it wouldn't be that. then i'd say the fuel pressure reg

Daily driver: 2010 Toyota Crown hybrid 3.5L V6 hybrid. 254kw.
Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:02 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF F6 Tornado - #0077

VIC, Australia

vac leaks! if its ok on gas it may be because a backfire has blown a hose off

** For Sale ** http://www.fordmods.com/ford-parts-for-sale-f17/assorted-e-series-parts-t124697.html

F6 Tornado 2006 Build

Is it about sex? The engine in my car? Or a cure for cancer?
No?

Then f**k off

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:35 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

fiftyone wrote:
vac leaks! if its ok on gas it may be because a backfire has blown a hose off

it'd run s**t on gas too then. me EB used to always blow off this one hose before i got it tuned

Weekend car: AU2 "XR8" 220kw 5L 5 speed. 19" BBS LM . Full exhaust. Lowered on Kings and Koni's. 13.8@97mph
Fast car: EA SVO AU motor. Built BTR. SDE 3500 stall. 76mm turbo. On E85. approx 425rwkw. 10.8@126mph

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:47 am 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

THanks for the replies, re: vac leaks, no hoses (that I can see) are off and I can't hear any hissing sounds or anything like that. The car has done 206xxxkms are fuel regs designed to last this long? Also where would be a good place to buy a FPR as Ripco wants $117 for one (or $171 I can't remember).

Thanks again, Thomas.

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

they can just crap out whenever they want. if it was me i'd get one off a wreckers car. or a car that a mate etc is wrecking and you know ran well

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Plenty of fuel regs in wreckers now.

Have you had any backfires? A backfire can kill the TMAP sensor. I had this happen once but I didn't get onto it quickly. The resulting rich mixture when running on petrol killed my O2 sensor and cat, so I ended up replacing those as well as the TMAP.

Probably worth asking a sparky to check it out. They can either scan for codes on the car's computer and/or probe the TMAP voltages to see if it is behaving properly. Half an hour should pull it up.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

NSW, Australia

No backfires since i've had it (but i've only recently bought it). However, I switched to petrol on the way home today just to see how it was running and for some reason it was perfect (as far as I could tell) no smoke at all and a nice smooth idle, I think i'll put some injector cleaner in and run through half a tank and see if that helps. Only other thing I can think of is maybe it was just the cold map before that was s**t (although i'm sure it was at operating temp at the time).

Re: the FPR, where can I get one of these pretty cheaply (preferably new for peace of mind) Ripco and others are pretty s**t, anywhere online I can grab one?

Thanks, Thomas.

Posted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:54 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: AU Wagon

NSW, Australia

Cyberspace Auto Parts is one to try, also Ezi Auto Parts (or Ezy, or something like that). Both are places I've bought stuff online heaps cheaper than Repco.

But then Supercheap and Bursons have also, depending on the item, been heaps cheaper as well.

AU1.5 Wagon, Raptor ProStreet kit, Pacemaker 4499's with 3" collector, 3" metal cat, 3" pipe, Pex BSO660 & BSO439, BA brakes, Sprintgas mixer LPG system, Airod variable-venturi mixer... stealth FTW Sniper tuned!

To be updated... soon!

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 9 posts ]