Fordmods Logo

rough idle ,excesive fuel consumption , lack of power ef xr6 

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Post subject: rough idle ,excesive fuel consumption , lack of power ef xr6
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:48 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hi all my 1st time posting ok i have a ef xr6 96 modle and am having a hell of a time with her driving me insane this is the low down of what she is doing running rough at idle it is fine when acelerating and driving has lost a lot of power still gose good but not xr6 good :( major fuel consumption my trip computer is saying 23l per 100kms and it just drinks fuel when i put my foot down a big puff of black smoke comes pourinng out with tells me their is lots of un burnt fuel (flooding) i can drive a long normal but as i go back though my gears when comming to a red light it is fine till i stop and start idling then it gets rough ok so now the list of what i have done

new plus and leads
swaped the map no change
swaped the isc no change (my local told me this was the problem)
tps swaped no change
water temp sensor
o2 sensor
i replaced the manifold gasket when i 1st got it as it had a faulty map around 7 months ago
ecu swaped no change so swaped back
coil has been replaced 3 times now in past 7 months seems to keep doing them but i still have this problem even after coil change
ecu relay changed
swaped over my fuel pressure regulator just with a standed one no changed so swaped it straight back over
i am stumped any help please

Post subject: Re: rough idle ,excesive fuel consumption , lack of power ef xr6
Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:08 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

A vacuum leak causes a rough idle, excessive fuel consumption and lack of power. So have a look around the engine bay and keep an ear out for any hissing. Also check inside your cabin (if it has Climate Control) for any hissing, you could have a vacuum leak from the vent control box thing.

Also you said you changed the manifol gasket...was that intake or exhaust? If it was intake, make sure it is the right way around, you could have actually put it in upside down (especially if it's the gasket that comes in 2 halves). If it's upside down you will have a big vacuum leak because the injector hole which is meant to be sitting in front of the injector, is now protruding down leaving a massive gap.

Hope that helps.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:44 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hi thanks for your idea i will put my ear to her latter to listen for leaks i replaced the inlet maifold gasket when locating a previous problem (map sensor) after that was fixed it ran perfect for about 3 before getting this problem i have been checking my sensor volts and they all seem to be down from what the manual says like the water temp sensor was ment to be 5 volts i was only getting 4.3 volts no bigger but then i checked the power steering sensor the book says it is ment to be 12 volt but i am only getting 9.3 volts any ideas of causes for that one i am going to change my air temp sensor tonight and will do some back probbing on the ecu see what volts it is sending out but it has be baffed as i changed the ecu and it made no diffrentce at all :?:

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 2:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL XR6

NSW, Australia

Check your ignition side of things.
Could be not getting enough spark. Would also explain your running rich and the loss of power and excessive smoke.

Cheers

Sam

LOW, LOUD AND LUMPY

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 22 images

Ride: AU2 XR8 ute & 91 EA bitsa

VIC, Australia

What about the ECU? Can you borrow one & do a changeover to see if there's any difference?

AU2 XR8 with Raptor VL, ported Yella Terra GT40P heads, Scorpion 1.6 RRs, XE264HR-14 Comp Cam, ceramic coated Hurricane Headers, 60lb injectors, Walbro 255, 200cfi cats, 3" exhaust & Snow Performance water methanol injection

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:55 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

hi when u say ignition side of thing do you mean ignition timming had never thought of that so will defently give it ago can u give me a quick run down on how to test it thanks

yeah i have swaped out the ecu i actully brought one very hard to find and yeah their was no change .

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2011 9:32 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

ok just a update did my checks on the ecu tonight all volts are good all earths are good do i dont understand what could be causing the loss of volts at the sensors
i started it up and put my ear as close as i could get did not hear and hissing but thought i herd like a sucking noise not sure thou to many noises so will spray around the manifold on weekend see if their is any leaks just to be sure

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:42 am 
Tyre Shredder

Ride: EL Fairmont

QLD, Australia

I would be checking a blocked exhaust( collasped cat converter) for lack of power.

cheers...

Current ride 2007
ML GLX Dualcab Triton 4x4

Posted: Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:53 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EL xr6

VIC, Australia

check your head gasket too.

EL xr6,standard a** au motor,hi-tech headers, 2 1/2inch red back,,Tikky kitted and wingless,Black GT-P's,on ultra lows and still too high

My Build: the-garage-f53/daniels-el-xr6-build-t100586.html

Posted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Quadruple-check your map sensor and hose.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 am 
Parts Gopher

Gallery: 16 images

Ride: ford ef2 xr6

VIC, Australia

as you say your car has a rough idle but is fine when accelerating,your local may be correct in saying that you may have a problem with your isc solenoid.Have you tried to extract any diagnostic codes?Faulty Isc circuit will give codes 411 & 412.If you have these codes,check for vacuum leaks, remove Isc and check connector voltage is correct,also check that the two passages under the isc solenoid are not blocked and that your throttle body is clean and closes fully.You may also need to check that the base idle speed is set correctly.In addition to above,is you air filter clean and serviceable.?Check your battery too as you are getting low voltage readings at the sensors you mention above.Black exhaust smoke may indicate leaking injectors.

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:23 am 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: el falcon

QLD, Australia

i have had the same problem it comes down to the syngroniser, eg: cam position sensor, disconnect negative battery terminal. its the black top on the dizzy housing remove syncro top 2 screws and disconnect wiring harness , clean with emery paper the internal rotating plate refit new synchronizer they are about $100 from bursons auto parts reconnect wiring harness and reconnect negative on the battery terminal if you leave the battery disconnected for about half hour to remove non volitile memory you should be ok you may need to replace coil pack if still running rough, once i did this my car runs sweet :o

Posted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 10:22 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

QLD, Australia

h thanks mate yeah i think your right i took it into ford and the only hard code they got off it was for the cam sensors so when my husband has finished painting her i will get back under her bonnet and give it a go sounds pretty easy thanks

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:23 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

QLD, Australia

So... what happened? - was it the Synchroniser. Handy to post fixes for next poor sod doing a search for same symptoms...

Sold the Greenmachine - now driving 2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.

Posted: Mon May 16, 2011 5:50 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Greenmachine wrote:
So... what happened? - was it the Synchroniser. Handy to post fixes for next poor sod doing a search for same symptoms...

Bold assumption that they will be using the search function...but yeah would be nice to know what the problem was.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 15 posts ]