Fordmods Logo

Shell V-power or BP Ultimate,which 1 do people find better? 

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EB2

VIC, Australia

been using BP ultimate for ages now wasnt sure on shell i thought the v-power was just the renamed optimax and i didnt like optimax.

Posted: Tue May 22, 2007 10:49 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

While on the topic of premium fuels. A good tuner mate of mine, raised the issue he's come across numerous times, of clogged fuel filters on Falcons, and the common cause (according to him/his customers) is premium fuel.

Anyone else have issues with clogged fuel filters.

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Falcon el xr6

NSW, Australia

i have heard from a mechanic that shell is much better than the woolworths/caltex petrol stations. i cant personally support or oppose this but i guess as a mechanic he would know.

glory glory manchester united,
pacies 2.5 exhaust
19inch typhoon rims
GT intake snorkel
superlows
lightened flywheel

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XR6T

shell v-power is the replacement for optimax (98 octane), IIRC they also released a v-power 100..

i use bp ultimate in my xr6 turbo ute, and used to use it in my wr 450, but i have changed to mobil synergy 98 in the bike, as it make a noticable difference to the bike, although when i run a couple of tanks of the mobil thorugh the ute i found the fuel economy went downhill..

i have never used the shell 98's so i cant comment there..

just my 2c worth

300+rwkw HeadsexTuned XR6 Turbo Ute *NOW SOLD :(*
MK Triton with 31" muddies, 2" lift and 3" turbo back exhaust etc...

Posted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:13 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: EL Futura

QLD, Australia

i always ues BP fule, but i find that some time with standars unleaded it starts to pinging????

El Futura
Pacemaker extractors, hiflow cat, 2.5 cat back, DBA slotted rotors, K&N, dev 5 head and cam, 75 shot noss, 20's.ba Detroit locker. 3.9 gears, CAI and outher stuff.....

Posted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:19 am 
Smokin em up

Ride: Custom Bedford, 79 Firebird

WA, Australia

i have been using a range of fuels in my cars, to varying results.
We don't get V-Power in Perth, not at servos anyway.
I fell into the trap of thinking that the Vortex 98 was a superior fuel. The first few times I used vortex would have been when I still had a small amount of ultimate in tthe tank, combined with a serve of Ultrafuel addative. I generally use addative with whatever fuel I buy for the increased driveability.
The last few weeks I have been running without any addative, so the true benefits and weaknesses are exposed.

Vortex 98 will rev out at top end rather nicely, but to get there requires more throttle input and patience. The torque down low feels nonexistant, and the fuel causes the car to stutter slightly when building rpm, from idle until around 3000rpm.

in contrast, the Ultimate always has a solid amount of torque, instantly available. This means I am content with 1/4 throttle inputs, where I would otherwise end up feeding another 1/4 into the throttle.

In terms of milage the fuels are similar enough. I'll order in some vpower sometime soon to get a real comparison.

At this stage though, in my cars with my mods BP Ultimate is king. with my addative Ultimate becomes what it should be. Vortex comes close with addative, but is still a waste in my ride.

Hope this helps fellas.

Wrecking BA lots of parts available Pictures and prices here
3 Decks with stackers PRICE DROP

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 7:26 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0

NSW, Australia

Ive used all of them and Vortex fouls my plugs up Shell V racing is overated got no more kays than their normal 91 octane.

ALways use Bp ultimate seams thats my 4.0 loves it and shows kms wise..

T402 ISX 500hp daily driver
98 AU Tickford Fairmont 5.0 175kw stocker....

"member of the wgaf club about 400m times"

Posted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:31 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

MaTTeB wrote:
i have been using a range of fuels in my cars, to varying results.
We don't get V-Power in Perth, not at servos anyway.
I fell into the trap of thinking that the Vortex 98 was a superior fuel. The first few times I used vortex would have been when I still had a small amount of ultimate in tthe tank, combined with a serve of Ultrafuel addative. I generally use addative with whatever fuel I buy for the increased driveability.
The last few weeks I have been running without any addative, so the true benefits and weaknesses are exposed.

Vortex 98 will rev out at top end rather nicely, but to get there requires more throttle input and patience. The torque down low feels nonexistant, and the fuel causes the car to stutter slightly when building rpm, from idle until around 3000rpm.

in contrast, the Ultimate always has a solid amount of torque, instantly available. This means I am content with 1/4 throttle inputs, where I would otherwise end up feeding another 1/4 into the throttle.

In terms of milage the fuels are similar enough. I'll order in some vpower sometime soon to get a real comparison.

At this stage though, in my cars with my mods BP Ultimate is king. with my addative Ultimate becomes what it should be. Vortex comes close with addative, but is still a waste in my ride.

Hope this helps fellas.

hey dude, what addiditive do you put in? nulon octane booster ?

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:54 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 05 BA MKII XR8, 95 EF gli Wagon

NSW, Australia

in my ef i only run bp ultimate unless i cant get it for some reason inwhich case i would run the bp95 premium before useing the other 2.

i have run the old optimax and the vortex and with both of those fuels my idle goes up the s**t and the car is constantly hunting when idleing.

run bp ultimate fuel and the idle is almost perfect and i seem to get about 20-50km more to a tank.

thats my .2c

bucko

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:23 pm 

Ride: AU XR8

NSW, Australia

correct me if im wrong.. doesnt all shell fuel now contain 10% ethinol??

Posted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:37 pm 
ACT Cruise Moderator

Ride: '06 BF GT-P

Power: 293 rwkw

ACT, Australia

No.

Only their marked Unleaded +10 does.

(and by law, all servos have to mark any pumps with ethanol fuel in them)

1998 DL LTD in Sparkling Burgundy, daily, 302W, stereo, slow
2006 BF GT-P in Ego, mods. Supercharged 5.8L all alloy modular

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:18 am 
Parts Gopher

Ride: EL XR8

VIC, Australia

I've experimented with ultimate and V-power, I ran my car on each for 1month straight and and at the end of it V-power "won" by .2L/100km. I'd call it a dead heat.

Over lower octain fuels i cant tell the diff in power but can definetly tell the diff in dist per tank. has been round 100km difference.

I was flicking the a thermodynamics book last night and i stumbled across some info on octane. This is a direct quote
"USE FUEL WITH MINIMUM OCTANE NUMBER RECOMENDED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER.
many motorists buy higher priced premium fuel, thinking that its better for the engine. most of todays cars are designed to operate on regular unleaded fuel . if the owners manual does not call for premium fuel, using anything other than regular gas is simply a waste of money. Octane number is not a measure of the power or quality of the fuel, it is simply a measure of fuels resistance to engine knock caused by premature ignition. despite the flashy names higher octane is not better fuel simply more expensive due to the extra processing involved to raise the octane number."

+ he also said theres no point in warming up your car, it just wastes time and fuel.

I dont really agree cos i have worked it out that with the extra kms i get the fuel pays for it self, + a bit of piece of mind.

but this guy has done his masters and PHD in renewable fuels and energy so u would hope he noes what his talkin bout

cheers
simo

VNOMIS

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:44 am 
Oompa Loompa

Ride: EL Falcon

QLD, Australia

BUCKO wrote:
i have run the old optimax and the vortex and with both of those fuels my idle goes up the s**t and the car is constantly hunting when idleing.

run bp ultimate fuel and the idle is almost perfect and i seem to get about 20-50km more to a tank.

thats my .2c

bucko

Well I must say that I have had the exact same experience with using Shell V( Very Bad idle ) Power. As my idle is all over the place like a Mad Dogs breakfast for the first 20 or so minutes of driving. I put in BP Ultimate and I must say the difference in standing Idle quality is friggin miraculous.
smo el wrote:
I've experimented with ultimate and V-power, I ran my car on each for 1month straight and and at the end of it V-power "won" by .2L/100km. I'd call it a dead heat.

Over lower octain fuels i cant tell the diff in power but can definetly tell the diff in dist per tank. has been round 100km difference.

I was flicking the a thermodynamics book last night and i stumbled across some info on octane. This is a direct quote
"USE FUEL WITH MINIMUM OCTANE NUMBER RECOMENDED BY THE VEHICLE MANUFACTURER.
many motorists buy higher priced premium fuel, thinking that its better for the engine. most of todays cars are designed to operate on regular unleaded fuel . if the owners manual does not call for premium fuel, using anything other than regular gas is simply a waste of money. Octane number is not a measure of the power or quality of the fuel, it is simply a measure of fuels resistance to engine knock caused by premature ignition. despite the flashy names higher octane is not better fuel simply more expensive due to the extra processing involved to raise the octane number."

+ he also said theres no point in warming up your car, it just wastes time and fuel.

I dont really agree cos i have worked it out that with the extra kms i get the fuel pays for it self, + a bit of piece of mind.

but this guy has done his masters and PHD in renewable fuels and energy so u would hope he noes what his talkin bout

cheers
simo

Also some more food for thought. Hey maybe all the Idle Issues we all seem to have is indeed down to an overly high R.O.N, that in fact destabilises the balance of the Engine Power output/fuel input etc. More questions ????

SIGNITURE REMOVED. pics must not exceed 120x500 pixles.

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 12:37 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BA XT, BA XR6T, ED Ghia 5.0

WA, Australia

Usually I run my XR6 on Ultimate only (it needs 98 octane stuff with the edit its got) but once about two months ago I ran a tank of Optimax experimentally and it sometimes pinged under flat out acceleration which Ultimate never did. Just my 2c.

What's the difference between a Holden and a sheep? It's less embarrasing getting out of the back of a sheep..

Posted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:15 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: EA

VIC, Australia

ive ran vpower racing before, and it didnt ping at all, but after leaving my car for about 2 days without starting it, it then started pinging when driving, so its like it lost its octane rating.

ultimate all the way for me!

Ford Falcon EA Naturally Aspirated 4.0L i6
13.797 @ 157.16km/h (Limiter Bounce)

1/4 Mile Video

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next