Fordmods Logo

Show us your...Air Intake 

Page 50 of 52 [ 769 posts ] Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next

Post subject: Re: Show us your...Air Intake
Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:51 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Ef wagon

VIC, Australia

Au ss snorkel ba box and piping

Posted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:54 am 
Oompa Loompa

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ford AU Fairlane

WA, Australia

Johnson stroker wrote:
XR6TOY wrote:
If this counts

sorry to say but you have reversed engineered your car.

LoLOLoLOL

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Heres mine

Attachments:
1393733154256.jpg
1393733154256.jpg [ 110.36 KiB | Viewed 354 times ]

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:47 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Ride: BFII XR6T

NSW, Australia

Heres mine. :mrgreen:

Attachments:
images-2.jpeg
images-2.jpeg [ 8.97 KiB | Viewed 5135 times ]

Posted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 7:00 pm 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 26 images

Ride: BA XR6T, 93 EB XR8, ZJ 351

NSW, Australia

Attachment:
IMG_20140303_005724.jpg
IMG_20140303_005724.jpg [ 189.33 KiB | Viewed 435 times ]

Alloy pipe from a ebay U.S mustang cold air kit, joiners from repco, panel filter (gave up on the boxed pod), trimmed std snorkel with a backyard F6 style 2nd intake....Does the job.

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,
EBGT RIMS, AU MAF, AU T/B, BOXED POD, CAI,
ELGT EXTRACTORS & SPRINT EXHAUST

BAXR6T Lowered, Kompact BOV thats all....so far
ZJ 351 Fairlane, a work in "slow" progress

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:38 pm 
Parts Gopher

Ride: 1998 EL Fairmont Ghia

New Zealand

blueblood wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_20140303_005724.jpg

Alloy pipe from a ebay U.S mustang cold air kit, joiners from repco, panel filter (gave up on the boxed pod), trimmed std snorkel with a backyard F6 style 2nd intake....Does the job.

That's tidy. Engine bay looks similar to mine - except yours is a lot cleaner :)

Is the manifold stock? Once I took the lame heat shield off mine just has a blank space with some bolt holes - presumably for where something decent looking could actually fit.

Here's mine:

I've been trawling this thread and impressed with a lot of the mods. Got all excited and checked under the bonnet and couldn't see where the stock EB V8 intake system could be significantly improved.
It already has
[*] wide snorkel with good cold air intake placement
[*] short snorkel to intake filter box with wide piping
[*] big panel filter (fitted a new one today as I wasn't sure how old the current one was)
[*] big, direct intake piping from filter box to throttle body

Doesn't seem like fitting stainless piping or pod filter is even worth it and the current snorkel width and positioning looks pretty good.
What is the weird tubular plastic pipe at the top right? My guess is some kind of recirculation intake in case the intake is getting more air than the cylinders are using? Or is it something else?

Not keen on a modified intake inlet pipe at the base of the bumper as I'm in NZ and we have this thing called "rain".

Any ideas for intake mods to increase power? Come on, I doubt Ford had this completely sorted from factory stock ;)

Cheapie EL Fairmont drag car build thread

Next: DIY shift kit, lowering springs and shocks, new rims, nitrous kit, nitrous purge, line locker

Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:55 pm 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

bennettpr wrote:
blueblood wrote:
Attachment:
IMG_20140303_005724.jpg

That's tidy. Engine bay looks similar to mine - except yours is a lot cleaner :)

Is the manifold stock? Once I took the lame heat shield off mine just has a blank space with some bolt holes - presumably for where something decent looking could actually fit.
I've been trawling this thread and impressed with a lot of the mods. Got all excited and checked under the bonnet and couldn't see where the stock EB V8 intake system could be significantly improved.
It already has
[*] wide snorkel with good cold air intake placement
[*] short snorkel to intake filter box with wide piping
[*] big panel filter (fitted a new one today as I wasn't sure how old the current one was)
[*] big, direct intake piping from filter box to throttle body

Doesn't seem like fitting stainless piping or pod filter is even worth it and the current snorkel width and positioning looks pretty good.
What is the weird tubular plastic pipe at the top right? My guess is some kind of recirculation intake in case the intake is getting more air than the cylinders are using? Or is it something else?

Not keen on a modified intake inlet pipe at the base of the bumper as I'm in NZ and we have this thing called "rain".

Any ideas for intake mods to increase power? Come on, I doubt Ford had this completely sorted from factory stock ;)

Thanks mate, the manifold is stock but has the engine plate from an AU 5.0 plus the m.a.f, throttle body and egr plate from an AU. The "donut" tube on your factory pipe is really just a resonator for intake noise. Plenty you can do to get them going better but not much until you start bolting better stuff on e.g heads, intake/exhaust manifolds..... or just charge it!

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,

Posted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:06 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

blueblood wrote:
Thanks mate, the manifold is stock but has the engine plate from an AU 5.0 plus the m.a.f, throttle body and egr plate from an AU. The "donut" tube on your factory pipe is really just a resonator for intake noise. Plenty you can do to get them going better but not much until you start bolting better stuff on e.g heads, intake/exhaust manifolds..... or just charge it!

Thanks blueblood.

Just got the V8 EB a few weeks ago. Lowered with freeflow exhaust but it looks like entire engine bay is stock based on my initial digging around.

Now on the hunt for go-faster mods.

Hard to know where to start -
J3 tune?
cold air intake + throttle body + manifold?
open up top end and start on cams, heads, rockers, injectors?

everyone seems to have a different opinion :)

Next: DIY shift kit, lowering springs and shocks, new rims, nitrous kit, nitrous purge, line locker

Posted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:19 am 
Smokin em up

NSW, Australia

All depends on how much you wanna spend, I thought of doing many things but decided to leave mine and just swap the whole motor out for a later AU 200/220kw or crate motor with a j3 tune. That's the long term plan anyway.

93 EB S-XR8 5 SPEED,

Posted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:22 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Is there a prize for the bodgiest intake mod? (This might be up there with the pringles can.)
30 minutes with a power drill and a hunting knife by way of experiment...

I flogged this idea off another member here (can't recall who), but to my mind the idea is pretty similar to replacing the entire panel airbox with a pod filter sitting just behind the headlight, with the exception that this way the snorkel is still pushing cold air into the box.

Like a n00b I cut slots on the *engine* side of the airbox the first time and as the 302 gets a bit hot under load I imagine all this does is suck warm / hot air into the box to fight with the cold air from the other intake holes. ( :oops: "Idiot!")

Next job is to de-ugly it by filing and sanding out the slots and patching them with some metal gauze.
And plug the engine side. :roll:
Jury is out on any performance improvements. Went well last night for test run but it was a cool night so overall air temp was lower anyway.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Looks functional enough, a little extra air from behind the lights will be sucked in..

Possibly some technical scientific crap where it negates the effect of the snorkel, but "meh", who cares..

If anything I'd add another slot at the "front" side of the box on the opposite side from the snorkel intake for some more air from the indicator/headlight corner.

I have a couple of spare V8 boxes so I'm gonna experiment when I start playing with mine..

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:13 am 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Lowlane7 wrote:
If anything I'd add another slot at the "front" side of the box on the opposite side from the snorkel intake for some more air from the indicator/headlight corner.

Good idea - I may do that. Also thinking this morning that instead of blocking off the engine side slot I may build up a forward facing intake cover so potentially air would still get in from the front but the heat from the engine side would be reduced.

Lowlane7 wrote:
I have a couple of spare V8 boxes so I'm gonna experiment when I start playing with mine..

Lucky aussie - bucket loads of spares. They're not so easy to come by over here across the ditch :wink:

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:47 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: NA Fairlane, DC LTD

NT, Australia

Something like a plate that sits against the engine side and blocks off the gap there towards the front? I had an idea like that.

I've always made it a point to grab any parts for V8s I ever come across, even before I owned one!

I've got 2 sets of fairlane ((NA/NC) headlights and rear indicators and boot garnishes, the metal lower radiator pipe, power steer hoses, 3 V8 MAFs. All gathered piece by piece and carted around Australia.

It's not easy here either there is one V8 fairlane at the local wreckers, and they scrapped one a few months back (bunch of Holden blokes) but they know parts are hard to find and reflect that in price...

I paid 150 a piece for some engine mounts 5 years ago from adelaide... That hurt the wallet.. And they were second hand too!

[color=#004080]Cheers, Jacob.

NA Fairlane Build thread:
the-garage-f53/my-fairlane-build-lowlane-t94891.html.
Also in the garage....
AU LTD, DC LTD, and Lowlane.

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: Ford Fairlane na2

TAS, Australia

Without the airbox because I don't have one yet.

Attachments:
1395718631275.jpg
1395718631275.jpg [ 102.85 KiB | Viewed 338 times ]

NA2 fairlane - 3.9 with au headgasket & injectors, ef fans, 2.5" zorst, lowered on selby springs , kenwood head unit and 6 speakers, fusion sub, el ecu & ti chip

Posted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:33 pm 
Parts Gopher

New Zealand

Lowlane7 wrote:
Something like a plate that sits against the engine side and blocks off the gap there towards the front? I had an idea like that.

Yep, I just need to find something to fabricate it with. May be a total waste of time but there are way worse ways to waste time.
Will get ideas from mechanic friend tomorrow and source parts on Friday. Will post pics when I have some, so you have something more to laugh at.

Lowlane7 wrote:
I've always made it a point to grab any parts for V8s I ever come across, even before I owned one!

Good idea.

Lowlane7 wrote:
I paid 150 a piece for some engine mounts 5 years ago from adelaide... That hurt the wallet.. And they were second hand too!

Damn!
I just got quoted $300 to fix an odometer that has, for whatever reason, stopped working. That price is if they need to remove the cluster and send it away.

Thankfully that's the only piece of electrical work that needs doing right now.

Sort by  
 Page 50 of 52  [ 769 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 47, 48, 49, 50, 51, 52  Next