someone teach me how to tune 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: someone teach me how to tune
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:00 am 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 5 images

Ride: EL GLi

NSW, Australia

id like to know how to tune the EF EL ECU for upgrades, i am new to this whole spark map n fuel map thing im a fast learner, i have not yet bought the tuner kit from Ti peformance as i dnt want to fork out the $500 n find out i cant do it, so id like to if possible have someone teach me how to, iv had a read of the stuff on there site but i got confused any postive feedback will be greatly appreciated

Post subject: Re: someone teach me how to tune
Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:48 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

Download Tuner pro, a few maps and figure it out. There is no teaching, only learning.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:29 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 93 ED sedan

Power: 161 rwkw

QLD, Australia

StevenBruzz wrote:
id like to know how to tune the EF EL ECU for upgrades, i am new to this whole spark map n fuel map thing im a fast learner, i have not yet bought the tuner kit from Ti peformance as i dnt want to fork out the $500 n find out i cant do it, so id like to if possible have someone teach me how to, iv had a read of the stuff on there site but i got confused any postive feedback will be greatly appreciated

Do you have an AFR meter fitted yet ????........coz, you'll need it.

http://youtu.be/jJTh9F3Vgg0

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EF XR6 Wagon, AU2 XR6 VCT

Power: 148 rwkw

New Zealand

Read everything you can get your hands on. The best book I have found on the subject is www.amazon.com/Designing-Tuning-High-Pe ... 1932494901 and it focuses specifically on Speed Density systems like the Falcon six. It's a small investment to get it right.

Many of the aftermarket ECU companies have free on-line ECU Tuning manuals, tutorials, blogs or videos. Try these for a start (google them):
AEM
Megasquirt
Haltech
Motec
FAST EFI
Direct Link
XEDE
Dynamic EFI
Microtech
HP Tuners

As you will be starting with a working tune of sorts, and not from scratch, you can ignore most of what's in the manuals - at least to start with. But read everything you can on tuning fuel - especially Volumetric Efficiency (VE) tables - and on tuning spark/ignition advance. That's where you will spend 90% of your tuning time.

If I can tune, anyone can tune. But you have to be prepared to put in the time to get your head around it and to work out the problems that will inevitably arise. The 'Tuning your Falcon with a T.I. Performance J3 Chip' sticky in this forum is essential reading.

Have fun.

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:45 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

yeah cheers yeah i need learn the spark n fuel maps im reading through the stuff on t i n using tuner pro with my files to suit my car

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:26 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

I hear john west is a good tuner.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:48 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 12 images

Ride: BA XT V8

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
I hear john west is a good tuner.

The best. :lol: :lol:

BA XT V8. Ice Mint. 18" Speedys. XR6T LSD. Full Pacemaker twin 2 1/2inch Stainless Steel system. Custom CAI. Black XR interior with white trimming. Powerbond underdrive kit 25%.
13.65@102mph. 2800 hi-Stall.
230RWKW@5250 rpm. 625NM.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:49 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

Ride: EF Fairmont

NSW, Australia

cjh wrote:
StevenBruzz wrote:

Do you have an AFR meter fitted yet ????........coz, you'll need it.

Definitely get yourself a wideband controller and display. I would even recommend fitting this first just to get an idea of what the ecu is doing and when, before anything is changed.
Tuning side of it will make more sense once you start playing with it on the car. Change something, test drive, and note the effect.
Make 2 copies of your original tune, one you will never modify, and one to use as a base. That way you always have a tune to go back to if (and when) you need to.
Save each new tune with a different file name, I simply number mine and save as the next number as soon as I modify it. (I'm up to about 40 in a few months.)
Keep a record of what you changed in each tune, and the effect the changes have.
Then,
Enjoy your custom tuned ride :mrgreen:

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:21 pm 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

roughredXR6 wrote:
Tuning side of it will make more sense once you start playing with it on the car. Change something, test drive, and note the effect.
Make 2 copies of your original tune, one you will never modify, and one to use as a base. That way you always have a tune to go back to if (and when) you need to.
Save each new tune with a different file name, I simply number mine and save as the next number as soon as I modify it. (I'm up to about 40 in a few months.)
Keep a record of what you changed in each tune, and the effect the changes have.

Same! I've done about 40 tunes, sequentially-numbered - and am very happy with the result - a big improvement. I keep a notebook where I record what I changed for each tune version and what effect it had. Makes it easier to know if you are moving in the wrong direction or have gone too far (eg, spark).

95 EF XR6 wagon, 17" FTRs, DBA rotors, KYB/Koni, AU bottom end, ported EF head, backcut valves, SS Inductions, Territory intake, 10.2 CR, Auckland 1258 cam, vernier gear, PH4480 headers, no cat, Tickford 2.5", 2800rpm stall, J3 chip

Posted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

NSW, Australia

yeah i will look into the wideband o2 sensor

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:35 am 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 8 images

NSW, Australia

You WILL need the wideband to do tuning properly. You need to know what your AFR's are doing so you can get everthing right.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:20 am 
Getting Side Ways

New Zealand

If you get the $500 TI Performance kit, it includes the wide-band O2 sensor and controller. You can log AFRs from the controller if you have a laptop, or you can buy a gauge that plugs into the controller to see the AFRs live.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:14 am 
Stock as a Rock

Gallery: 2 images

NSW, Australia

TechEdge also have a wideband controller with inbuilt display and on board data logging. It also has extra inputs which allow you to log more information like intake temp, coolant temp, throttle position, vehicle speed, manifold pressure/vacuum, tacho, etc. It also has thermocouple inputs so you could log exhaust temps, spark plug temps, etc.

Ported ED XR6 head shaved too much, AU gasket, custom Crow Cam, Pacemaker 4480's, 5-speed conversion, billet aluminium flywheel, GT clutch, T.I. Performance J3 chip, custom water/methanol injection, modified BA throttle body. Paint&Panel by Barbed Wire Fence.

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:10 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 1993 EB XR8

QLD, Australia

I'm working with another member here to learn the ins and outs of tunerpro and J3 tuning (can't afford a Quarterhorse with everything else that needs to be done on the AU). Only difference is, I have a working relationship with my tuner, and even being 2000k's away, we can sort things out.

ILL60 - EF XR8, Sunroof, Ticky Kit, 19x8.5/19x11 TE37's, 347, AFr185's, TFS BoxRcustom converter, Hurst Quarterstick, huge billet cam.

OO0Y4 - BA2 XR6 Turbo, Nizpro Plenum, Process West stage 3 cooler, 4” dump, 3.5” exhaust, ID1000’s, ZF Auto - 11.8@116

Posted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:13 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: Supercharged EF Fairmont

VIC, Australia

roughredXR6 wrote:
TechEdge also have a wideband controller with inbuilt display and on board data logging. It also has extra inputs which allow you to log more information like intake temp, coolant temp, throttle position, vehicle speed, manifold pressure/vacuum, tacho, etc. It also has thermocouple inputs so you could log exhaust temps, spark plug temps, etc.

Just for the record, the controller we sell (both in the Full House kit and standalone, at a good discount to TechEdge prices) is the TechEdge 2J series, which includes a logger which can be used for all of those things. Nice and compact bit of gear when some competing products require multiple modules to do the same.

Cheers,
Jason

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next