Fordmods Logo

standard EF GLi vrs EF LPG ECU. 

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

Post subject: standard EF GLi vrs EF LPG ECU.
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:49 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

What are the various types of EF ECU's available and how can you distinguish between them ?

Specifically what are the codes for the standard GLi and LPG variants in particular ? Is the data/program eprom interchangable between these ?

I ask as i am interested in upgrading my standard GLi and adding the LPG program to the existing GLi ECU. I plan to get a blown LPG ECU and use the data/program contained within thus copywrite is not an issues :)

Cheers

Post subject: Re: standard EF GLi vrs EF LPG ECU.
Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:28 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 8 images

Ride: 2007

NSW, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
What are the various types of EF ECU's available and how can you distinguish between them ?

Specifically what are the codes for the standard GLi and LPG variants in particular ? Is the data/program eprom interchangable between these ?

I ask as i am interested in upgrading my standard GLi and adding the LPG program to the existing GLi ECU. I plan to get a blown LPG ECU and use the data/program contained within thus copywrite is not an issues :)

Cheers

You can get them from the wreckers, a lot of taxi's came with the factory dual fuel. It will not however give significant or even noticible gains over the standard ECU. If you are doing this then you will loose trip computer feature while on LPG.
Cheers
Tony.

BF Fairmont Ghia Series II update.
GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___
|_/--\'_|'__|_/--\_[]IIII[]
_( o ) )_____( o ) )=o=) )__

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:28 pm 
Technical Contributor

Gallery: 10 images

Ride: 96 XH/97 EL

NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
If you are doing this then you will loose trip computer feature while on LPG.
Can you explain why that is ??

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:36 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
twason wrote:
If you are doing this then you will loose trip computer feature while on LPG.
Can you explain why that is ??

Simply that the fuel dependant readings are derived from the pulse width of the injectors, with the factory Dual fuel ECU the injectors are not firing when on LPG thus the ECU cannot give a reading, with after market LPG installs the power is cut to the injectors but the ECU still thinks it is operating them thus you get an approximate version of the fuel dependant readings.
Hope that is clear enough.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:59 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
Thanks, yes, that's fine. The reason I asked is that I've just finished a conversion on my wagon, and I opted for dual fuel reading through the car's fuel gauge - I was under the impression the trip computer took it's calculations from the fuel remaining in the tank.

96 XH Longreach 'S': LPG, Alarm, 3.23:1 LSD, Cruise, Trip Comp, ABS, Power Windows, Mid Series Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl
97 EL Futura S/W: LPG, Alarm, LED int Lts, Trip Comp, F/Lane Dome Lt, Climate Ctrl, T5 Conversion

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:09 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

snap0964 wrote:
twason wrote:
Thanks, yes, that's fine. The reason I asked is that I've just finished a conversion on my wagon, and I opted for dual fuel reading through the car's fuel gauge - I was under the impression the trip computer took it's calculations from the fuel remaining in the tank.

Unless you have changed the standard ECU to the dual fuel ECU then the trip computer will still work while on LPG. Distance to empty certainly need to know the fuel level in the tank so you need to use the cluster gauge when on LPG not the LED gauge some installations have.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 11:20 pm 
Technical Contributor

NSW, Australia

twason wrote:
Unless you have changed the standard ECU to the dual fuel ECU then the trip computer will still work while on LPG. Distance to empty certainly need to know the fuel level in the tank so you need to use the cluster gauge when on LPG not the LED gauge some installations have.
Yeah, I used an LPG tank with the compatible sender for this purpose with a changeover relay wired in - the LPG level seems to be pretty accurate when reading off cluster diagnostic mode. The gauge must use the buffered levels, as it takes about 5-10 mins for the gauge to indicate correct level after fuel changeover.

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 4:36 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 2 images

VIC, Australia

twason wrote:
You can get them from the wreckers, a lot of taxi's came with the factory dual fuel. It will not however give significant or even noticible gains over the standard ECU. If you are doing this then you will loose trip computer feature while on LPG.
Cheers
Tony.

Thanks for the comments.

My understanding was the the LPG ecu adjusted the timing to better suit LPG and thus gave some 5-10kw more than petrol only ecu running lpg. Seems worth getting dual fuel ecu for this alone.

Its just a shame that ford didn't program these ecu's to send a psudo derived signal to the cluster/trip computor (which is not at all hard to do).
Also a shame that the cluster uses what seems to be a stuffed buffering algorithm for the fuel gauge.

What is the part/code number for the EF dual fuel ECUs ?

Cheers

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: No Fords current

TAS, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
My understanding was the the LPG ecu adjusted the timing to better suit LPG and thus gave some 5-10kw more than petrol only ecu running lpg. Seems worth getting dual fuel ecu for this alone.

But on the EF the ECU adjusted the timing depending on the knock sensor and that. so wouldn't a standard EF ECU would also adjust the timing on LPG!

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

twr7cx wrote:
ItchiOne wrote:

But on the EF the ECU adjusted the timing depending on the knock sensor and that. so wouldn't a standard EF ECU would also adjust the timing on LPG!
Correct but not optimally. What I am lead to believe is the Timing curve (Advance vs Revs) for petrol and LPG are way different, the knock sensor only has a range of a few degrees of retard but across all the rev range. When the knock sensor senses a ping it alters the entire curve not the curve at that RPM.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Posted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

ItchiOne wrote:
twason wrote:
Cheers
Tony.

Thanks for the comments.

What is the part/code number for the EF dual fuel ECUs ?

Cheers

I don't have it at hand but if you can't find it elsewhere then I can remove my kick panel and get it for you.
Cheers
TW.

GQ XR6T ghia patrol.

,======o00o
//__|__|_,\_____\,___

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 11 posts ]