The maximize fuel economy and power attempt 

Page 2 of 3 [ 37 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: The maximize fuel economy and power attempt
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:05 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Cheers for the offer and info dude. Its funny, when I finished the mods I have done so far I thought that it had more than enough power for the Mrs and was happy...... for about 2 weeks. f**k the Mrs, I need more power!
Ill let you know if and when I go down that path. There is a few other little niggling bits to be done first before I go a cam change, but thanks for the offer. You have given me some food to chew on for sure.
Yeah, Im kicking myself for not going the Vernier while the head was off, even though the timings ok it was a lesson learnt.
Cheers

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

thats the problem. i was happy to crack the 150 mark i thought that'll do on the engine mods and i'll start with cosmetics now, but that lasted about two weeks, so now im planning the work on my spare engine. lol

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:58 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

So the 154 is at the back wheels, what are you getting at the flywheel?

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

Not too sure how to work it out. But my guess is around 200

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:50 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Those power gains and the economy aint bad for a car thats around 20 years old. Time can play a part on degrading mechanical things too, so any gain thats better than stock figures delivered from new 20 years ago is a good job. I thought around the 200/210 mark myself. Ill have to keep an eye on your build thread to steal some of your idea's. Better you going through the trials and heartbreaks and not me :wink:

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:24 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

they are not my ideas, lol. i got most of the ideas off here anyway. so someone else had been through the trial and error stage for me. the only thing that i re did was the cam as i wasnt happy with the 114 lsa 977b, so i got a 977b10. but even with that i've still only spent around $1500 on "go fast bits"

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:00 pm 
Fordmods Junkie

Gallery: 11 images

Ride: EL Fairmont, VFR400 racer

Power: 144 rwkw

VIC, Australia

I get about 144rwkw with similar mods to ranga83's. (difference is camshaft and maybe diff). With the mods in my signature, I get about 6-7L/100km on the highway and 12-13L/100km metro, that's with a generic J3 tune (XR6 Manual bin) and 3.23 LSD. Timing is tuned to take 98RON only, I get about 60-70km out of a tank more.

In the end, fuel consumption is dependent on how heavy your foot is. With spirited driving, I get about 15L/100km.

phongus = Post whore 2006
EL XR6 motor, EL ECU + J3 chip, WADE 1673 Camshaft, 3" S/S intake, Pacy 4480, 2.5" Hi flow cat, 2.5" Lukey exhaust.
Max Power = 144.6 rwkw (03/05/2008)

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Right on the money Phongus. I put it down to if I want to drive with a heavy foot I cant complain about fuel consumption. I can go from home to Penrith and the gauge barely move normal driving, yet if I am in a rush or in a " mood" Ill use a 1/4 tank. Getting the " general " driving consumption downs my attempt. I dont expect miracles if I want to drive like Brocky.
Food for thought, not too many member I thought were after the same thing and just wanted power, power and more power. Maybe I should look deeper into others threads.
Cheers

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

phongus wrote:
I get about 144rwkw with similar mods to ranga83's. (difference is camshaft and maybe diff). With the mods in my signature, I get about 6-7L/100km on the highway and 12-13L/100km metro, that's with a generic J3 tune (XR6 Manual bin) and 3.23 LSD. Timing is tuned to take 98RON only, I get about 60-70km out of a tank more.

In the end, fuel consumption is dependent on how heavy your foot is. With spirited driving, I get about 15L/100km.

So from my understanding an LSD actually sucks power from the wheels compared to a single spinner?

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:01 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

phongus wrote:

yeah mines a 3.23 single spinner. are you going to get a dyno tune phongus?
79raven wrote:
phongus wrote:

So from my understanding an LSD actually sucks power from the wheels compared to a single spinner?
it may, but it also delivers the power to the ground better so you dont lose as much in wheel slippage

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:12 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 21 images

Ride: 98 EL Futura

Power: 199 rwkw

VIC, Australia

Changing the camshaft isn't going to be a good idea if you want fuel economy, but it will help with power. That's a decision you will have to make. Having a J3 dyno tuned may rule the fuel loss out though.
What sort of driving do you do? it is allot of 100k's or mostly around the town driving? If you stick with the 3.27 diff you have now, it will be best for highway/freeway use, but then if you put the heavier cam in, it will be sluggish off the line with that ratio. If you do alot of around the town driving you will find you pick up fuel economy with a 3.45 or 3.7 ratio.

With my car, I got to a point where i wanted more power and didn't care about fuel economy. I then bought myself a TS Astra as a daily. I will have paid the Astra off with in a year and half with the amount of money I save on fuel compared to if I had kept driving the Falcon. Not everyone can do that, but it in some cases it might be better to get a different daily.

EL Futura: CVE head, Wolf V500, ICE Ignition and Coil, 36lb injectors, Walbro 255lb, Paci comps, 3" exhaust, T5, Harrop Truetrac with 3.9s. Now with 198.9rwkw, (~185rwkw and 13.80 @99.1mph) with more power to come

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:35 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

good point Gezz. Currently its more of a family Taxi i.e shops, school etc, so urban driving. I plan on taking the family on a decent holiday once a year when finances permit ( its been 17 years since I have been on a holiday and my kids have never seen the beach, so its long overdue). Maybe leaving the ticky cam and going a J3 with the 327 is a better idea? What about the b ( I think) series air intake over the BBQ plate? Will that give a better pedal response ( not exactly power) over the BBQ?
I bought the Ef due to its size and " family friendly" interior, if I was smart Id keep it almost like it is as its a good cruiser and buy myself a toy, but I have an 86 2.4L 2WD Navara aswell Im doing up for a work ute for when I start my own business and could not afford 3 rego's...... so trying to make the best of what I have if that makes sense.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:57 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Ive noticed with the setup and the 3.27 that off the lights she bogs down and then when she hits " power band" she takes off hard. I kind of like it because it stops wheels spin under instant dump ( still scary in the wet when she slips up to 80k's). I want to bring that " power band" a tad back on the rev range and give it more punch when in that torque curve. A high stall will be useless due to the Mrs, so power gain is my other option.
What does an i6 auto's rev's sit at at 110 with a 3.45? Ive noticed when she hits her G spot is when the fuel goes down hard ( due to the cam id say). G spot is about 2k up, so trying to keep 100/110 cruise revs at 2k or under.

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:10 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

a j3 will fix a bit of the midrange, but you could also get a vernier gear and advance the cam a couple of degrees to move the power band. but personally your best bet with the tickford cam is to go a j3 and get an xr tune put on it

Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:18 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

I suppose too the J3 and Vernier leaves the option of when I get the bug after those mods I can go down the road of regrind cam and then get the J3 retuned to suit. Its looking like J3 for sure, if I set the timing marks according to the ticky gear's current alignment, the vernier wont need to have the head removed to fit?

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next