Post subject: The maximize fuel economy and power attempt
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 1 images

Ride: Ef Fairmont

NSW, Australia

Car: Ef Fairmont i6 auto sedan
Odo: Now 184,000km

So, the basic idea I have had is to try and see how much power and economy I can get out of my Ef. I have changed almost all serviceable parts on my ef ( left the BBQ plate intake) to make sure its running and reading the best it can. I have installed cat back, extractors, big mouth,au injectors, tickford head and tickford cam. I have added a decent sized stereo and deadening material and currently get 12L/100km urban driving ( not granny but casual driving), so according to redbook I am saving half a litre per 100 so far even with the stereo. She has shark fin 16's too.
Now, I am running the stock fuel reg ( 270 or what ever it is) and the stock Fairmont ECU. If I run a 300kpa reg ( tickford) and get a j3 with a good tune, will I expect decent economy with power increase? Currently with the setup I have runs cheapish judging from redbook spec's, but if I drive like a hoon the economy goes right out the door..... this I like as if I want to drive like a d**k I deserve to pay the price on the pump.
I dont want to skimp out on creature comforts as it is a family car and will be used for long trips when cash permitted ( weight cuts through stereo etc), but is there anything else anyone can think of doing to maximize the econ/power mix I am after? I havent changed the cat as its still working at almost 100%. Any advise would be good
Cheers
Raven

Last edited by 79 raven on Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: The maximize fuel economy and power attempt
Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:27 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

oh its the stock diff too, I think 327? Sits on just under 2k at 110
The Mrs wont let me drop a manual in either, she likes the auto :(
Cheers

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:42 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

And I want to steer clear of dual fuel as I like the added boot space not having a tank gives me, sorry

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:47 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

Power and fuel economy are usually inversely related. A tune could probably help both but there'll be a crossroads where you will have to choose one. From my limited experience I'd probably say a tune would be the best thing, or a 3.08 diff if you don't mind losing a bit of pull off the line. But there'll be others with more educated suggestions than mine

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:55 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

steedy wrote:
Power and fuel economy are usually inversely related.

Not true Sir. Extractors are a fine example of a bolt on that will increase power and economy at the same time. So is weight loss through lighter wheels etc. Given Power gains while increasing economy are marginal, they all will add up.
With the addition of technology that was not around when a certain car was made ( Ef in this case) and the fact a car is made to a budget, power and economy can be achieved both at the same time.
The 308 diff idea I am not too keen on. I think from memory the ideal ratio is around the 345 range, but I am uncertain of the rev range on cruise with the i6.
Thanks for the input though, every thought counts dude.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:58 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

A better tune than the stock Ef tune would make a difference, but to put in a bigger reg will utilize the cam, but once again I am worried about excess fuel use and actually going backwards. Yes a bigger reg will supply more fuel, but if the car is tuned right through a j3 in theory it maybe will all pan out..... but I dont know if I am right or not.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:14 pm 
Smokin em up

Ride: EL Wagon, DF LTD

VIC, Australia

79raven wrote:
steedy wrote:
Power and fuel economy are usually inversely related.

Not true Sir. Extractors are a fine example of a bolt on that will increase power and economy at the same time. So is weight loss through lighter wheels etc. Given Power gains while increasing economy are marginal, they all will add up.

Yeah I understand that, which is why I said usually. As for other mods, there's always things to give you a little gain in both, but nothing massive in either, sort of like the old saying jack of all trades master of none. Tuning would be one of them. You could tune for max power with no regard for consumption, or tune it to be a snail. A very eco-friendly snail.

I guess with things like extractors though, they sort of increase your consumption passively. The engine requires less effort to go at a certain speed and certain rpm, and thus uses less fuel. But that extra grunt subconsciously makes you want to get up to 60 kays that tiny bit quicker. A full 3" exhaust would help the engine breathe like a dream and would again require less effort, but you're not likely gonna drive it like a granny when it sounds like that. Turbo diesels get more power and are much more efficient than regular diesels, but that doesnt mean that slapping twin turbos on your falcon will net you Prius-esque fuel figures. You'll want to make the most of the extra power! I know I would

The gene pool could do with a little bit of chlorine...

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:17 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: ef falcon futura

Power: 154 rwkw

VIC, Australia

im getting 7-8l/100 on the highway, around 11-12l/100 around town, thats with 977b10, extractors, 2 1/2 inch cat back, highflow cat, 300kpa fuel reg, tickford head and a j3. mines been dyno tuned tho, but fuel economy was about the same with the custom tune i got from jase when i had the 977b14 in it

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:25 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Cheers man, so a 300 and j3 didnt really increase the fuel consumption, but did you notice a good difference in power/ response?
What about taking back some of the power lost from the back of the tranny to the wheels? Im not talking getting a custom drive shaft or spending thousands on custom parts, but would say a better quality set of uni's compared to the Ford factory ones make any difference? Are there lighter weight drive shafts that will retro fit? Is there a diff thats able to be retro fitted that wont take as much power away from the wheels?
Seeing I have just had the head done I dont really want to stuff with the internals of the donk, the Mrs has stood firm on the auto too. You cant get underdrives for the e series i6 can you?

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:30 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

if you look at my sig, i have 154rwkw, so thats about a 50 kw gain at the wheels with my mods, you can get an alloy tailshaft from an xr, but the gains (if any) would be low. your main power drain in the driveline i'd say is your auto. and no, i didnt have any noticeable extra fuel consumption with the fuel reg, and the j3 tune is pretty spot on. the falcons run abit rich from the factory i think.

ef futura, pacemakers, 2.5inch catback, k&n panel filter and 3.45 lsd. extractors/cat, ticky head, custom cam grind, t5. now onto cosmetics.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:41 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

cheers man. Thats been a big help. Id definitely get a dyno custom tune off a J3 just because every car is different and I dont think a general tune for all i6's is the way to go. Ill keep an eye out for the xr alloy shaft as I want to do the uni's in the next 12 months or so as I dont know how long they have been on for and there is an ever so slight movement in the current uni's. Not really noticeable but Id rather get them done when I have the cash than them f**k up when Im broke. If I can find an alloy xr shaft in that time, even the slightest gain ( maybe even more with the mods so far or just for my car the way it was built) would be a plus.
Yeah its a prick the Mrs wont let me drop in a t5, but I value my balls and would rather drive an auto i6 than pay child support. I kinda knew that the auto sucks a decent amount out, was just thinking out loud.
Cheers again

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:45 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the custom tune from t.i. is pretty close, and you should find a bit of a fuel gain with that, but yeah, a dyno tune is better. i'm lucky i have access to a dyno so didnt cost me much for the tune. if you were in melbourne i'd tee it up for you, but it might be a bit far to drive. lol

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:46 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

however with the minor mods you have, it might be better to put off the dyno til you get a bigger cam.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:52 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

Yeah, I've been tossing that up too. Ive heard a wade regrind will increase power and economy in most cases. Is it true? If I went a regrind I would definitely go a Vernier gear too. I didnt go one on the ticky cam as I thought it might have been a bit overkill at the time.... not to mention everything else broke on the car at the same time, like it does.

Posted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:56 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

the 977b is a regrind. you wont improve economy with just the cam, without a j3 it runs rich as f**k. and definately get a vernier. even tho both the cams i had didnt need any adjustment its always good to have. if you do go the wade route, let us know and i can drop off a stock cam to them so you dont have to post one down to them

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 3  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next