Fordmods Logo

Tricking sensors... 

Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ] Go to page Previous  1, 2

Posted: Sun Feb 13, 2005 10:37 am 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

EDXR8 wrote:
The IAT is used as a guide to air density for load calculation and modifying the signal will throw out load but that is already occuring because of the cam. IAT is also used to trigger more timing advance when air intake is cooler (ie denser), this is how you may benefit from changing the output. When it comes down to it though, the potential for damage and engine running problems far outweigh the possible small benefits of modifying sensor readings IMO.

Plus the fact that by tricking the ECU to give you moer advance, if it gives you too much advance, teh knock sesnor will just retard the spark.

And contraty to popular belief, teh best spark advance is not where the engine is about a bees d**k away from pinging.

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 2:32 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: EL Manual

VIC, Australia

I think he is modifying the engine temp sensor.

Also I have been working on a device to modify frequency signals, both in frequency and duty cycle + many more features. I will post here soon after I have worked on it a bit more.

Manual EL Gli.
Mods: Crow Stg3, Chiptorque Dynotune. Lukey Exhaust. DBA slotted rotors, EBC Pads. Whiteline Low Susp. EL GT Swaybars, ROH Envy 17 x235 wheels. Vehicle Datalogger Display V2.0,

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:02 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hmmmm my EL seems to go better when it has reached normal temp?

be it morning, night, hot, cold etc :?

when its cold (the engine not the air temp) the car just seems lethargic. :?:

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:05 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 14 images

Ride: BA XR6 Turbo

Power: 175 rwkw

NSW, Australia

Mako wrote:

Mine is like that but when hot, very noticably.

Dyno time in 2 hours, but after just taking the car out at lunch I'm fearing what sort of a reading I'm going to get after an hour drive in traffic :|

ImageImage

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:08 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 37 images

Ride: V8 EF Futura

SA, Australia

Hyena wrote:
Mako wrote:

Mine is like that but when hot, very noticably.

Dyno time in 2 hours, but after just taking the car out at lunch I'm fearing what sort of a reading I'm going to get after an hour drive in traffic :|

Probably better to get a realistic view of A/Fs and performance after some "real world" driving.... kw readings may suffer but better than getting a 'picture' of your engine's performance when cold.... as most of your driving will not be under these conditions.

Let us know how you go, post a pic of the graph if possible.... I think we're all pretty keen to see how your machine goes!!!

I promise..... I will never die.

Fordmods Administration Group MINOR PUNKED

Post subject: Re: Tricking sensors...
Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 4:17 pm 
Stock as a Rock

Ride: EL Fairmont

VIC, Australia

Hyena wrote:
As per the megasquirt thread, I'm looking at getting one of those but I'm also keen if trying to trick other sensors in the car for the time being.
The jaycar kit fuel adjuster kit apparently doesn't work with the I6s because of MAP sensors rather than MAFs (and analog/digital) which is unfortunate because they sound really cool for the money :x
Thoughts ?

oh and the jaycar site says it will work with map sensors???

It can be used on 0-5V and 0-12V signals, so it is compatible with all voltage output airflow meters and MAP sensors

edit oh ahhh is it the "voltage output" that kills us :?

Regency Red EL Fairmont - PH4480 - 2.5" exhaust - High flow cat/muffler - K&N panel filter - Mandrel bent air intake - T series intake - wade 1604 cam - 98 EL XR6 ECU - Whiteline lows - 17" ROH RT's - Koni yellows - DBA Slotted's - Green Stuff pads
NEED: LSD, chiptorque

Posted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:54 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

4.9 EF Futura wrote:
Let us know how you go, post a pic of the graph if possible.... I think we're all pretty keen to see how your machine goes!!!
No one is keener than I :)
Unfortunately I didn't get to dyno it this arvo so it looks like I'll have a time slip before a dyno chart. I'm heading out to WSID on wednesday night so I'll post up my time slips thursday morning.
edit: dyno is late wednesday arvo now back to back with WSID!

I know what you mean about real world readings, but the heat soak from driving around in start stop traffic on a hot day makes it run worse than otherwise. I'd like a decent peak figure on paper, but at the end of the day its the time slip that counts. That said, performance will be affected just the same, altho I should get a cooler run in later in the night.

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:04 am 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

They wouldn't let me race at WSID as per my comments in the events thead as the place packed out in an hour :cry:
I did get the dynoing done though (which is why I was late) but that revealed good and bad results.

Assuming that the ECU switches to these lean/rich maps pretty quickly, the device I made didn't have any effect. I did a runs straight, and then one with it "overheating" and theortically lean and and change the curve or the air/fuel ratio enough to notice no paper.

I have other dyno dramas to sort out now, but that's for another thread!

ImageImage

Posted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 am 
Smokin em up

Gallery: 6 images

Ride: '98 EL XR8

NT, Australia

I think most people have thought about tricking the sensors, but Im assuming FORD put in multiple sensors to maintain optimum performance. Remember, it was built to adhere to strict exhaust gas emmision regulations as well as produce power.

You run the car rich from the COOLANT sensor, the O2 signal is gonna report running rich and adjust... adjust the ACT signal, is going to have the same effect...

The only one I think would work a little is the O2 sensor.. mine was kinda shot, so it thought it was running lean - which made her run rich. But the ECU knew the sensor was not operating corrctly and may have compensated for it, wether it does this for all the sensors and how it adjusts to compensate I dont know...

You gotta remember, most of these sensors basically adjust the ECUs Pulse Width of the injectors... is that all your trying to do?? Pull off the hose to the MAP then clog it... run it as rich as you want then... lol :lol:

Look at this quote from a Gregorys:
"Adaptive strategy is employed on the EEC-IV system. This feature adapts the system to changing conditions due to engine wear ect and may compensate for certain malfunctions within the system. The operator of the vehicle may not be aware of any problems as the vehicle operation may not be affected to a disceernible degree."

An engines power comes from 2 basic things... Air + Fuel = Power

The only thing that I think will work with these engines are physical mechanical differences... flow more dense cold air, inject more fuel. The ECU fine tunes it... wether it be stock or aftermarket.

"...we can rebuild him, we have the technology... we just dont want to spend a lot of money."
SIX MILLION PESO FALCON

Sort by  
 Page 2 of 2  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2