Tuneable PCM Project 

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Tuneable PCM Project
Posted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:07 pm 
Fordmods Newbie

Ride: Ford Territory

SA, Australia

Hi Everyone
From reading lots of posts in this forum, I believe the people here have the knowledge to take on and suceed in a project like this.

I'm a tuner of different types of vehicles, and use dyno for tuning, after heavy engine mods, forced induction, big cams,lumpy idle, etc, can cause real problems in tuning of PCM cars
The job these late model ecus do, different strategies and conditions are just way over the top and not needed to tune an engine, but are used to try an achieve emission control, driveability, as stuff wears out, etc.
And lets face it, if you are chasing horsepower then emissions are the last thing on your mind, from my experience a tuned engine is the most efficient anyway.
So it leaves you using things like adjustable and rising rate fuel regulators, and other inventive ideas to achieve a sort of a fuel tune, some vehicles (excluding later model ford) you can live tune and pay for software, licences, codes and then the tune, some you need hardware interfaces as well, makes it very expensive just to tune an engine and trans.

The Project. BA-BF
re program factory PCM with simplified tuning tables, like after market systems have.

create software and user interface for reading and writing of simplified tables, while only needing cable and PC.

I belive this to be possible, from what I have read.

basically the PCM is a programable device depending on the chipset model number, as to its programing set of instructions, that has inputs and outputs that are controlled by code.

1)Coms Protocol and hardware cable (available).
2) read of factory code (possible).
3) edit of factory code (possible).
4) write of edited code (possible).
I know theres a lot more to this then just the above 4 but its a basic start.

Live tuning is important in my opinun to maximise tune, it also saves lots of tuning time.
Things a tuner would like to be able to easely program/tune.
Fuel Table
Timing Table
Cam Profile Table
Idle Speed
Rev limit
Boost Control
Gear Change Table
Converter lockup table
Trans line pressure Table
Speedo correction
and more useful things as it evolves.

if you use individual intake runners and throttle plates on a NA engine, there is no vacum for the TMAP sensor to use, even if you manifold all the runners together you still dont get enough range of vacum, this also happens with diesel engines .
so it should be possible to select TPS vs RPM or TMAP vs RPM for fuel and timing tables to get around this problem and also the problem of big lift cams that send vacum all over the place and send PCM's into chaos.

OK guys rip this apart and let me know your opinions on this. :D

Post subject: Re: Tuneable PCM Project
Posted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:59 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: 66 Coupe

WA, Australia

most times its much simpler just connecting an aftermarket ecu to control the engine (fuel and spark) and leave the factory ecu in place for all the other functions

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 1  [ 2 posts ]