Twin throttle body 

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ] Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Twin throttle body
Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:21 pm 
Tyre Shredder

Gallery: 3 images

Ride: 99 au ute

WA, Australia

I'm posting this in the garage section because I think it's the right spot for it considering it's general talk about many applications.

Iv been looking at a few threads about dual throttle body's on I6's. The idea I kinda get outa it is that down low there no good? But up in the rev range they come into play when having higher power. So... I was thinking having 2 standard body's on a bbm. The first throttle body would be connected the conventional way ( of older cars) by a accelerator cable and the second being driven by a servo. My idea is once the throttle/ rpm gets to a certain point the second body comes in play. Effectively it could be "tuned" because it's electronic hell arduinos are really cheap.

If anyone with a bit more understanding about this could "chime in" and provide more knowledge on the subject. One more thing to ad is that I'm picking up a spare bbm on Friday and a project like this could be in the makings, iv been thinking about it for a while now.

Cheers,
Fullyforded (chris )

Au series 1 ute. T5 manual, 2.5" redback zorst, Xtreme HD clutch

Post subject: Re: Twin throttle body
Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 7:37 pm 

Ride: 93EB Fairmont / BA Falcon XR6T

NSW, Australia

The Garage is only for build threads. Thread moved to more appropiate section for you.

93 EB II Fairmon8 with 17' EL GT's / Clear indicators / H.I.Ds / Sports exhaust / Lowered 2' / K&N / XR6 ECU.
2004 BA MKI XR6T in Lightning Strike paint / K&N / XR8 bonnet / BF lights and a few tweaks.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:08 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

93EB wrote:
The Garage is only for build threads. Thread moved to more appropiate section for you.

Sorry and cheers.

Posted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:11 pm 
Getting Side Ways

VIC, Australia

A couple of people have done it to E-series over the years.
Not sure any have done what you're suggesting with a servo, but it has been done before on other cars with linkages.

EL Fairmont Ghia - Manual - Supercharged
- The Car
- The Headlights

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:41 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

I think when I buy it I'll see how much I can mill off to fit another throttle body. There pretty pricey on eBay so I might just turn one up, at the end of the day I wanna try it but my car is stock everything and I prob won't notice it.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:51 am 
Getting Side Ways

Ride: BF XR6,

NSW, Australia

Ive seen a twin throttle body floating around here for inline 6. Quite sure it was a flipped log manifold from an ea-ed and twin xf throttle bodies were used. I recall xcabbi being the owner at 1 point.

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 8:06 am 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Yeah I still have it. When I bought it I was promised it had 76mm XF throttles on it but when I picked it up they were replaced with E series throttles. At the moment it's just sitting there waiting to be used. I'll get around to doing something with it eventually.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:00 am 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

xcabbi wrote:
Yeah I still have it. When I bought it I was promised it had 76mm XF throttles on it but when I picked it up they were replaced with E series throttles. At the moment it's just sitting there waiting to be used. I'll get around to doing something with it eventually.

Don't suppose you could upload a picture?

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:22 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fullyforded wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

good ol google
Attachment:
image.php.jpg

BF XR6
xr8 snorkel,typhoon lower snorkel,territory intake pipe,20% underdrive kit,pacemaker extractors,high flow cat,xforce exhaust,t56 conversion hd turbo clutch/ flywheel,m86 3.45 lsd,custom tune187.1rwkw as an auto

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 1:48 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
fullyforded wrote:
xcabbi wrote:

good ol google
Attachment:
image.php.jpg

Cheers man, it would be cool to put it on set a throttle limit to 50% and have a really touchy throttle!
This has given my many ideas. Cheers

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:00 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

id personally set one throttle to open first to say 30% before the second one came on, so it would be as a normal car under normal driving,

BF XR6

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 2:41 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
id personally set one throttle to open first to say 30% before the second one came on, so it would be as a normal car under normal driving,

That was the idea of having one electronically controlled. That way it could open up whenever. I wonder if I make it if it would have any positive affects on a stock motor... I guess only one way to find out, I can't wait till I get this second manifold... So many things to try!

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:20 pm 
Getting Side Ways

NSW, Australia

fullyforded wrote:
bry40l wrote:

That was the idea of having one electronically controlled. That way it could open up whenever. I wonder if I make it if it would have any positive affects on a stock motor... I guess only one way to find out, I can't wait till I get this second manifold... So many things to try!

it will need a tune to get the correct a/f ratios. even better if you had a cam and head job done :D

BF XR6

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 4:47 pm 
Tyre Shredder

WA, Australia

bry40l wrote:
fullyforded wrote:
bry40l wrote:

it will need a tune to get the correct a/f ratios. even better if you had a cam and head job done :D

I'm so keen to get a cam, I'm planning on rebuild my motor or getting a company to rebuild the lower half and then get head work done. I'm currently saving for a full exhaust system then after that I'll start saving for the engine to get done. I'll hopefully have it rebuilt by the end of the year.

Posted: Thu May 08, 2014 6:28 pm 
Getting Side Ways

Gallery: 4 images

Ride: Fordrunner 5.0 Turbo

NSW, Australia

Staged throttle openings would be a pain in the a*** on that thing, not to mention there being a real possibility of half of your cylinders running quite lean/rich.
The way I was going to use it was in a turbo application with a top mount water to air cooler that has a single inlet for the turbo and twin outlets for the intake manifold. Hopeless for the street (it would be too touchy) but an absolute weapon for the strip.

Sort by  
 Page 1 of 2  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next